Sir, this isn't a driver's license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir, this isn't a driver's license

Hoo boy, today has brought in the crazy! Had a person come in earlier this morning to rent a unit. Everything appeared to be going fine until it came time to get his ID to start the paperwork. He handed me a state ID card. Now, I should say that he drove here and while he was in the office asking questions, he had left his vehicle running and the driver's door open. I told him it would be a good idea to turn the car off and close the door before I showed him any units. Anyway, back to the ID card. I made a copy of it, and when I handed it back I asked him if he had a DL because, you know, he drove here. He said yes, so I asked him if I could see it. He pointed to the ID card and said "that's it". I said "no, that's not a DL", to which he replied "it's the same thing". Oh boy.
    Me: no, this is not a driver's license. Do you have one? I see you drove here so you must have one.
    Him: I have a letter from the governor of Florida that says I can drive.
    Me: I can rent you the unit, but I can't allow you to drive onto the property w/o a DL.
    Him: Why not?
    Me: Because you don't have a DL.
    Him: I can show you the letter. (goes to car to get letter)
    Me: (after reading letter) This doesn't allow you to drive. This letter says you have no revocations or suspensions on your DL and you have 30 days from the date of the letter to get your DL. (The letter is dated September 28, 2020 so he clearly didn't do it). Possibly a situation where his insurance lapsed, or his DL expired and he didn't renew it?? No idea.
    Him: Well, I got pulled over by the PD and they accepted it. (I doubt it)
    Me: I'm sorry, I cannot and will not rent you a unit knowing you will be driving on the property w/o a DL.
    Him: Well, that's just silly.
    Me: No, it's not. If you were to damage our property, I have no recourse against you.
    Him: Well I guess I'll have to go see about this then.

He also said he had called several times and no one called him back. "Not true" I told him. "We spoke on the phone a couple of times, which is how I knew who you were when you mentioned bringing items here from Maryland".

It was much crazier in person than this can show. He also told me during our conversation that he had just bought the car. Ok, then do you even have insurance? Not if you don't have a DL. I don't even know for a fact it was his vehicle. Could have belonged to a friend or neighbor for all I know. All I know is this guy is out there driving around w/o a DL.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

And he's likely not the only one! So many people will drive on suspended or revoked licenses. It's great that you stuck to your policies and refused the rental.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

You certainly dodged a bullet there!

Excellent for you and kudo's to you for sticking to your gun's and your policy!
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Stupid is as Stupid does

Comment

ugh, that is a crazy story..... we have so many crazy stories in storage, we all need to write a book!!!!!

Comment

I've been sitting here all day wondering how someone can think that a letter telling you that you have 30 days to get your DL somehow means you can still drive. If I get a letter like that, I'm thinking "oh, $hit, I better take care of this right away", not "yeah, the governor says I can still drive".

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
              I've been sitting here all day wondering how someone can think that a letter telling you that you have 30 days to get your DL somehow means you can still drive. If I get a letter like that, I'm thinking "oh, $hit, I better take care of this right away", not "yeah, the governor says I can still drive".
              No kidding!! I think he might not be all there, that is way strange he thinks that.

Comment

Originally posted by SBAZ View Post

No kidding!! I think he might not be all there, that is way strange he thinks that.
                Sounds like his elevator doesn't hit all of the floors......
                Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post

Sounds like his elevator doesn't hit all of the floors......
                  Or he is 1 French Fry short of a happy meal

Comment

When I rented U-haul I saw stuff like this ALL OF THE TIME.
                    'Sir, I can't rent this truck to you without a valid driver's license.'
                    "It's fine! I'm going to drive safe!"
                    dude, really?
                    As I look out of the window at the beater (or alternatively, the Cadillac that they're driving-WITHOUT a valid license.)
                    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                    WA state

Comment

Yep, love it, they get a little mad when they are BORROWING our truck, which is absolutely free, no gas no mileage up to 30 miles, BUT they have to have full coverage insurance on their car, and when I tell them you have to have a copy, a current copy or you cant use it, they cant understand why they cant just show me on their phone... or give me an expired insurance card......

Comment

I am so glad I don't do UHaul!

Comment

I do U Haul.
                          I work U Haul, I do not allow U Haul to work ME! LOL
                          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I've tinkered with the idea, but that sounds like more of a headache than it's worth. Thankfully, there's a corner store down the road that does it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X