Tenant helps himself to a "parking space"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant helps himself to a "parking space"

The presumption of some people just astounds me. Just received this voicemail. This is a verbatim transcription:

Hello, uh my name is XXXXX, I have a uh uh I believe a 10x10 unit uh with you guys and I just wanted to let you know that I brought my JetSki on a trailer um tags everything is current, um unfortunately I couldn't um make arrangements to uh uh pretty much update my account. Uh if it is all possible to update this account as of Tuesday, I did drop my trailer off right next to lot number one I believe it is? And if we could update my account to where I can have a JetSki in that location that'd be great. I had nowhere else to put it. I do have an account with you guys and, you know, of course I'll definitely pay for whatever I have as of today uh if there is any any problems, issues, or whatever please let me know as soon as soon as you get this message and uh uh please give me a chance to go out and uh pick that little trailer up and I'll take it somewhere else, I suppose. But, yeah, if we could update my account and add this . . . I guess outside storage? . . . I don't know exactly how that works, but uh give me a call back please XXX-XXX-XXXX if there is any problems. Thank you.
    Of course, I immediately called him back to let him know that not only did he park in a non-parking space but had no authorization to do so and must immediately remove the trailer and jet skis from the property. Told him we have no outside spaces open currently (which is true) and that if we do have one come open it would be $85/month. Thankfully he balked at the price, so I don't think I'll have him bugging me about any vacancies for parking. I just can't imagine just dropping off something like that on someone else's property and just assume it's ok because "I have a unit here." His tone of voice when I called him back was genuine surprise that this wasn't ok. Not sure if he's just a good actor or genuinely dumb.

At least he called, I guess - saves me from an investigation when I return to the office. I had a guy the other month just drop off a trailer (nothing on it, though) and never bothered to even call. Though in that case it was a temporary thing - he wasn't planning on keeping it parked there (of course, he got reprimanded too).

Now I'm waiting for a call from someone who decides to drop off a mobile storage container and ask if we could just make that a unit for them. I mean, don't call BEFORE you do that to ask if it's ok - that would be too logical
    Last edited by RMRSS; 2 May 2021, 08:37 PM.

I definitely smiled at that one! Some people...….. I think maybe he is not a good actor just the other....

Comment

I had the same thing happen late last year. Girl rented a unit then days later from the gate camera I saw a car towed in that never left.
      After figuring out who it belonged to by some paperwork in the car, I called and confronted her (trying really hard not to yell ;-).
      Her excuse was that it was only going to be for a couple of days and then she was planning to move it. I agreed to give her until the weekend.

Weekend comes and the car doesn't go. I immediately add the space rental to her account and OL her unit since she doesn't answer my calls or emails.
      We were more lenient with customers due to the COVID hit to the economy and local jobs so let her account go unpaid a couple of months. As hoped, when the stimulus checks arrived, we got paid. Unfortunately, she is behind and OL'ed again. I suspect this won't end well for her, especially since she doesn't seems willing to call and try to work with us.

In VA we can auction a vehicle ourselves if it below a certain amount. Above that we have to have the sheriff do it. Haven't had to do that yet. Yet...

Comment

Originally posted by PeekingDuck View Post
        I had the same thing happen late last year. Girl rented a unit then days later from the gate camera I saw a car towed in that never left.
        After figuring out who it belonged to by some paperwork in the car, I called and confronted her (trying really hard not to yell ;-).
        Her excuse was that it was only going to be for a couple of days and then she was planning to move it. I agreed to give her until the weekend.

Weekend comes and the car doesn't go.
        I would have just had it towed at that point (after perhaps giving her a 24-hour notice). Since she didn't sign a contract, it's no different than someone leaving a vehicle in your driveway at home without permission.

Comment

So far we haven't had that-I usually have a space where the tenant is working and the space is empty during the say, and another tenant parks there while they're vising their unit. I usually can stop that but occasionally it gets by me until the actual tenant comes back and is miffed bc they're done with work and would like to park to go home.
          "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
          Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
          WA state

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X