Apparently we're "terrible" for not offering veterans a discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently we're "terrible" for not offering veterans a discount

Just had a caller inquire about a 10x20 unit and he seemed happy with everything I was telling him. But near the end of the phone call he asked if we offered any "military" discounts. I told him we only offer an active-duty military discount, and I asked him if he was active duty, to which he responds, "No, I'm retired, of course" (as if I'm supposed to magically know that). So I repeated that it would only be for active duty, to which he responds, "Well that's terrible!" "I'm sorry?" I replied. "I said that's terrible!" he repeats. I told him it's actually a fairly common category of discount (active military/police/EMS, etc.) and he replies, "No, actually it's not" and hangs up on me. What an a-hole! I was just about to let him know we also offered a 65+ senior discount which would be the same 10% off, but since he rudely hung up on me, I guess I'll never know if he qualifies for that. I'm so tired of self-entitled people, including some veterans. Did you serve your country just so you can get discounts on things (and then demand such discounts and act like a toddler when they're not offered), or did you serve your country because you love your country? smh...

Anyway, I guess it's ultimately a blessing that we'll probably lose his business. He's probably the type that would leave crap by the dumpster or leave things behind in his unit when he vacates, etc.
    Last edited by RMRSS; 11 June 2021, 11:45 AM.

I just give them $5 off a small unit a month or $10 off a larger unit, I don't give any 10% off for anyone, but like I tell my relief, if they come in with that VET hat on, and they are older, give it to them, as they did serve in the Military....

Comment

Originally posted by SBAZ View Post
      I just give them $5 off a small unit a month or $10 off a larger unit, I don't give any 10% off for anyone, but like I tell my relief, if they come in with that VET hat on, and they are older, give it to them, as they did serve in the Military....
      Well that's fine, and of course every facility has their own discounts. We simply don't do that. My issue is what a butt this guy was to me just because he didn't get his way. And of course the irony is he WOULD have known of the alternate discount if he hadn't childishly hung up on me before I could get the words out. I was trying to accommodate him, but he didn't give me the chance. There are many honorable vocations/professions. If we started discounting for all of them (especially including retirees), then that would be a LOT of discounts. And honestly, at this point, where we're consistently at 95-100% occupancy, I don't really feel like giving any discounts, period.

Comment

None of you would freely own or work for a storage facility if it wasn't for those that served to protect and keep this great Country free. If you dont understand and appreciate that, than thats a shame. Very few things get my feathers ruffled as much as disrespecting vets and this great Country!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
          None of you would freely own or work for a storage facility if it wasn't for those that served to protect and keep this great Country free. If you dont understand and appreciate that, than that's a shame. Very few things get my feathers ruffled as much as disrespecting vets and this great Country!!
          Understand! That's why I say, if that man or woman walks in with a vet hat or even says he or she is a vet, of course they get the $5 or $10 off every month, not just at move in, I just don't do any discounts such as a 10%, Also if they are older and ask about senior, yes the same disc rate as the Vet, I myself am a Army Brat I know what my Father did to have us where we are. I am not dis respecting anyone.

Comment

None of you would freely own or work for a storage facility if it wasn't for those that served to protect and keep this great Country free. If you dont understand and appreciate that, than thats a shame. Very few things get my feathers ruffled as much as disrespecting vets and this great Country!!
            WOW! I don't get angry often reading this forum, but your post makes me livid. How DARE you imply that I (or any others who may not offer a "veteran" discount) don't appreciate those who serve in the armed forces or are "disrespecting" them! You are so out of line here! Both my father and brother were career Army (retired MAJ and LTC, respectively) and would NEVER have acted the way this vet did on the phone today. The true spirit of a vet is one of service and humility, not a self-entitled spirit that demands discounts and says it's "terrible" of you not to offer them one. My post is about this ONE individual who happened to serve in the armed forces, yet simultaneously is an a-hole. Unfortunately there are bad apples in every bunch.
            Last edited by RMRSS; 11 June 2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

IMHO, not offering discounts to Vets is being a bad apple...

You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country.
              Last edited by MamaDuke; 11 June 2021, 08:12 PM. Reason: Site Rule #7

Comment

IMHO, not offering discounts to Vets is being a bad apple...

You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country.
                Oh, your HUMBLE opinion, huh? How humble of you to call me a "bad apple" simply because we don't offer the same discount plans. How about use your free speech for good, instead of personally attacking and libeling members of this forum because they don't happen to offer a certain discount that you do? I've literally rented to hundreds of vets over my 17 years in storage and NEVER until today has one acted like this guy about not getting a discount.
                Last edited by RMRSS; 11 June 2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

Oh, your HUMBLE opinion, huh? How humble of you to call me a "bad apple" simply because we don't offer the same discount plans. How about use your free speech for good, instead of personally attacking and libeling members of this forum because they don't happen to offer a certain discount that you do? I've literally rented to hundreds of vets over my 17 years in storage and NEVER until today has one acted like this guy about not getting a discount.
                  It wasn't personal, you dont mean that much to me. It was directed towards anyone that acts like that towards vets. I ask every customer if they're a vet as we fill out the contract, because its that important to me. AND like I said "You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country."

Comment

It wasn't personal, you dont mean that much to me. It was directed towards anyone that acts like that towards vets. I ask every customer if they're a vet as we fill out the contract, because its that important to me. AND like I said "You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country."
                    Oh yes it was personal, don't give me that BS. You clearly are referring to me along with others. And what the hell do you mean "acts like that" towards vets? We simply don't offer a veteran discount. I'm not treating the vet that called today any different than all the others we've spoken to and rented to. I was very respectful to him on the phone and he was very disrespectful towards me. If we didn't care about the military, we wouldn't be offering an active duty discount, now would be? Hello?! Do you offer a discount to EVERY person who is in an honorable profession (or retired from one)? If you don't, does that mean you don't care about them? Your line of reasoning here is ridiculous. We price our units competitively for everyone and guarantee rates for a year for everyone. We treat every customer with respect and request they also treat us with respect.

How about YOU do what YOU feel led to do in terms of whom you offer discounts to and stop judging others for not running their business just like you?

I'll leave you with this short piece from a retired Army LTC and business owner writing against this attitude of entitlement among SOME military members and their families. I guess you can write him and tell him what a jerk he is

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tary-families/

I will not reply further to your nasty comments. Grow up!

P.S. You keep repeating "You don't have to like my opinion or agree with it." Well, thanks, Sherlock. If you haven't noticed, that's exactly what I'm NOT doing (liking nor agreeing with your misguided opinion). You seem to think that means I shouldn't respond to it. Sounds like you just want to take shots but not get any flak from your inflammatory opinions. Doesn't work that way. Again, grow up!
                    Last edited by RMRSS; 11 June 2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Oh yes it was personal, don't give me that BS. You clearly are referring to me along with others. And what the hell do you mean "acts like that" towards vets? We simply don't offer a veteran discount. I'm not treating the vet that called today any different than all the others we've spoken to and rented to. I was very respectful to him on the phone and he was very disrespectful towards me. If we didn't care about the military, we wouldn't be offering an active duty discount, now would be? Hello?! Do you offer a discount to EVERY person who is in an honorable profession (or retired from one)? If you don't, does that mean you don't care about them? Your line of reasoning here is ridiculous. We price our units competitively for everyone and guarantee rates for a year for everyone. We treat every customer with respect and request they also treat us with respect.

How about YOU do what YOU feel led to do in terms of whom you offer discounts to and stop judging others for not running their business just like you?

I'll leave you with this short piece from a retired Army LTC and business owner writing against this attitude of entitlement among SOME military members and their families. I guess you can write him and tell him what a jerk he is

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tary-families/

I will not reply further to your nasty comments. Grow up!
                      Like is said before and now I'll put it in big print so you dont miss it
                      "You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country."

And yes, I do disagree with some of what he said, BUT he is free to speak his mind

Comment

As a Vet myself I always ask if there's a discount (I don't make enough money to scorn a discount), however, if they say 'No, sorry', that's the end of it. I don't feel 'entitled', but feel a warm fuzzy if they say yes.

Our co solves this by offering a 10% disc for 6 months for seniors, military/veterans, and law enforcement/fire. Often the current special is a better deal, but if they ask, I'll say yes.
                        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                        Always sunny in California

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
                          As a Vet myself I always ask if there's a discount (I don't make enough money to scorn a discount), however, if they say 'No, sorry', that's the end of it. I don't feel 'entitled'
                          Yes, and that's because like most vets, you're a decent person. And I'd also hope that you wouldn't think ill of our company for NOT offering such a discount. We've chosen to limit it to active duty only, and I think that's very reasonable, considering the pressures of active duty military life vs. retired life (there still may be pressures, of course, but not because of the military).
                          Last edited by MamaDuke; 12 June 2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Yes, and that's because like most vets, you're a decent person. And I'd also hope that, unlike one poster here, you wouldn't think ill of our company for NOT offering such a discount. We've chosen to limit it to active duty only, and I think that's very reasonable, considering the pressures of active duty military life vs. retired life (there still may be pressures, of course, but not because of the military).
                            Offering a discount has nothing to do with pressures of active duty or retired life, but now I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you feel pity for them, not respect. But that's just MHO based on your comments

We offer the discount to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Your sacrifice means a lot to us and we're willing to say "thank you" in the form of a discount.

BTW, If I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, I'm a vet too. And since you hold that other person (who wrote the article) in such high regard because of his service, why not me too?

Alaska has more vets per capita than any other state and we still offer the discount because its the right thing to do. You don't and that's fine, that's your choice

Comment

Offering a discount has nothing to do with pressures of active duty or retired life, but now I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you feel pity for them, not respect. But that's just MHO based on your comments

We offer the discount to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Your sacrifice means a lot to us and we're willing to say "thank you" in the form of a discount.

BTW, If I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, I'm a vet too. And since you hold that other person (who wrote the article) in such high regard because of his service, why not me too?

Alaska has more vets per capita than any other state and we still offer the discount because its the right thing to do. You don't and that's fine, that's your choice
                              We treat ALL of our customers with respect. We happen to have a couple categories of people we give a courtesy 10% discount to, and those happen to be active duty military and seniors 65 or older. They aren't advertised specials, but we offer them if asked. If you think we're wrong to not offer vets a discount too, then why stop with vets? What about both active AND retired teachers, police, fire EMS, postal workers and other couriers, students, city council members, single moms/dads, etc. etc. Are you arguing that if we don't give a particular group a discount, that we don't respect them and we are doing the WRONG thing? Seriously?

Last edited by Amy_ISS; 14 June 2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X