No announcement yet.

Apparently we're "terrible" for not offering veterans a discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all have a differences of opinions, and we MUST respect them. No one should feel attacked on SST for sharing their thoughts. This bickering has gotten out of hand. Stop the fighting or I'll close the thread. It's a good topic, so I'd hate to do that.

Moreover, I'm not going to tolerate name calling (insinuated or said outright) or any bully behavior. Some people on this forum have become way too comfortable in thinking they can say whatever they want and back it up with "in my opinion." When you present IMO in a negative or bullying way, it's flaming and combative and it'll be deleted.
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 12 July 2021, 10:39 AM.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

We offer senior/police/ & active duty military, as well. It's not advertised, but I will give it if they ask. I do have 1 tenant here that is not active duty, rather a Vet, that I give the discount to. Usually when someone asks if we do such-n-such discount, I tell them the ones we do offer. I've actually had more people try to get a senior discount and they're not even 65 lol. When I get their DLI have to tell them "You're not old enough for the senior discount...but on the brightside, you're not old enough for the discount!". Let's hope in OP situation it wasn't personal. It didn't seem as if he were saying you were terrible for not offering it, but rather it was terrible that it isn't offered? Some people just want their discount and others couldn't careless. My brother is a DV and has never asked for a discount. I have an active duty tenant that has been here several years, never asked. I have 2 active duty that did ask. I think it just depends on the person or how frugal they are and simply wanting to save money. You can bet when I'm 65, I'll be asking for my senior discount and hitting folks with my purse

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
        We offer senior/police/ & active duty military, as well. It's not advertised, but I will give it if they ask. I do have 1 tenant here that is not active duty, rather a Vet, that I give the discount to. Usually when someone asks if we do such-n-such discount, I tell them the ones we do offer. I've actually had more people try to get a senior discount and they're not even 65 lol. When I get their DLI have to tell them "You're not old enough for the senior discount...but on the brightside, you're not old enough for the discount!". Let's hope in OP situation it wasn't personal. It didn't seem as if he were saying you were terrible for not offering it, but rather it was terrible that it isn't offered? Some people just want their discount and others couldn't careless. My brother is a DV and has never asked for a discount. I have an active duty tenant that has been here several years, never asked. I have 2 active duty that did ask. I think it just depends on the person or how frugal they are and simply wanting to save money. You can bet when I'm 65, I'll be asking for my senior discount and hitting folks with my purse
        Well, some places define "seniors" as young as 50 years old, so it's no surprise some tenants would think they're eligible when they aren't. As far as the guy that called us, to me there's little difference between saying "that's terrible [that you don't offer the discount I want" and "you all are terrible [for not offering it]" since obviously we're the ones who decide the specials. It definitely wasn't a simple "aww, shucks" kind of remark, seeing as he hung up in my face. He was obviously incensed about it. To my knowledge, this is the only time anything like that has happened to me when asked about specials. I've had people abruptly hang up on me before because they didn't like the price (you know, the folks who want a 10x20 climate unit for $50/month + first month free in the center of a bustling urban area, LOL!), but never someone rant about our specials. Oh well, like I said - likely dodge a bullet anyway, because if he's that self-entitled, I'm sure he'd not adhere to our facility policies while here.

Comment

Former Tank Soldier here, If it is offered fine but no big deal if not. We do NOT offer any discount other than pay 6 months and get a 7th free. Sound like the guy was just a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Billings Storage View Post
            Former Tank Soldier here, If it is offered fine but no big deal if not. We do NOT offer any discount other than pay 6 months and get a 7th free. Sound like the guy was just a jerk.
            Yeah, it's almost like he would have been happy if we offered no specials at all - seemed like his reasoning was "If I can't get a special, then NO ONE should get a special!" LOL!

Comment

That's the same way we do military discounts. If someone acted that way with me I'd put them on the Do Not Rent list with the other 2400 people.

Comment

We offer a first responder and a veteran discount. Truth be told, I think its crappy not to.

However, as a veteran myself, I’ve known people who are super entitled for a discount. That guy possibly couldn’t afford the unit and that’s why he asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                  None of you would freely own or work for a storage facility if it wasn't for those that served to protect and keep this great Country free. If you dont understand and appreciate that, than thats a shame. Very few things get my feathers ruffled as much as disrespecting vets and this great Country!!
                  I served in the military as well, because I wanted to serve and support my country. Not because I wanted freebies and discounts. There's more to being a soldier, sailer, airmen/airwoman, coastie, marine, etc. than just wearing the uniforms and getting discounts. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and thank you for your service as well. But I find your attitude to be quite presumptious and odious. We can agree to disagree without tearing each other down. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                    We all have a differences of opinions, and we MUST respect them. No one should feel attacked on SST for sharing their thoughts. This bickering has gotten out of hand. Stop the fighting or I'll close the thread. It's a good topic, so I'd hate to do that.

Moreover, I'm not going to tolerate name calling (insinuated or said outright) or any bully behavior. Some people on this forum have become way too comfortable in thinking they can say whatever they want and back it up with "in my opinion." When you present IMO in a negative or bullying way, it's flaming and combative and it'll be deleted.
                    Beautifully said! Now I will exit this thread and as to not rehash any drama. Glad everything ended well.
                    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 12 July 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curlymom234 View Post
                      We offer a first responder and a veteran discount. Truth be told, I think its crappy not to.
                      Well, then like I said, you must start offering discounts to a WHOLE lot more people than just first responders and vets if you're going to be consistent logically. I think it's crappy to call other people/facilities crappy for not offering the same discounts you do. Why can't you just say, "I understand others may feel differently, but I personally feel I'm obligated to offer first responders and vets a discount." I'd have no problem with that. But when you start judging others for something very subjective like this, that crosses a line.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X