X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMRSS
    replied
    Originally posted by curlymom234 View Post
    We offer a first responder and a veteran discount. Truth be told, I think its crappy not to.
    Well, then like I said, you must start offering discounts to a WHOLE lot more people than just first responders and vets if you're going to be consistent logically. I think it's crappy to call other people/facilities crappy for not offering the same discounts you do. Why can't you just say, "I understand others may feel differently, but I personally feel I'm obligated to offer first responders and vets a discount." I'd have no problem with that. But when you start judging others for something very subjective like this, that crosses a line.

Leave a comment:

• Bella_Lindemann
    replied
    Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
    We all have a differences of opinions, and we MUST respect them. No one should feel attacked on SST for sharing their thoughts. This bickering has gotten out of hand. Stop the fighting or I'll close the thread. It's a good topic, so I'd hate to do that.

Moreover, I'm not going to tolerate name calling (insinuated or said outright) or any bully behavior. Some people on this forum have become way too comfortable in thinking they can say whatever they want and back it up with "in my opinion." When you present IMO in a negative or bullying way, it's flaming and combative and it'll be deleted.
    Beautifully said! Now I will exit this thread and as to not rehash any drama. Glad everything ended well.
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 12 July 2021, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bella_Lindemann
    replied
    Originally posted by Grizz View Post
    None of you would freely own or work for a storage facility if it wasn't for those that served to protect and keep this great Country free. If you dont understand and appreciate that, than thats a shame. Very few things get my feathers ruffled as much as disrespecting vets and this great Country!!
    I served in the military as well, because I wanted to serve and support my country. Not because I wanted freebies and discounts. There's more to being a soldier, sailer, airmen/airwoman, coastie, marine, etc. than just wearing the uniforms and getting discounts. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and thank you for your service as well. But I find your attitude to be quite presumptious and odious. We can agree to disagree without tearing each other down. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• curlymom234
    replied
    We offer a first responder and a veteran discount. Truth be told, I think its crappy not to.

However, as a veteran myself, I’ve known people who are super entitled for a discount. That guy possibly couldn’t afford the unit and that’s why he asked.

Leave a comment:

• fudgemasterultra
    replied
    That's the same way we do military discounts. If someone acted that way with me I'd put them on the Do Not Rent list with the other 2400 people.

Leave a comment:

• RMRSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Billings Storage View Post
    Former Tank Soldier here, If it is offered fine but no big deal if not. We do NOT offer any discount other than pay 6 months and get a 7th free. Sound like the guy was just a jerk.
    Yeah, it's almost like he would have been happy if we offered no specials at all - seemed like his reasoning was "If I can't get a special, then NO ONE should get a special!" LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Billings Storage
    replied
    Former Tank Soldier here, If it is offered fine but no big deal if not. We do NOT offer any discount other than pay 6 months and get a 7th free. Sound like the guy was just a jerk.

Leave a comment:

• RMRSS
    replied
    Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
    We offer senior/police/ & active duty military, as well. It's not advertised, but I will give it if they ask. I do have 1 tenant here that is not active duty, rather a Vet, that I give the discount to. Usually when someone asks if we do such-n-such discount, I tell them the ones we do offer. I've actually had more people try to get a senior discount and they're not even 65 lol. When I get their DLI have to tell them "You're not old enough for the senior discount...but on the brightside, you're not old enough for the discount!". Let's hope in OP situation it wasn't personal. It didn't seem as if he were saying you were terrible for not offering it, but rather it was terrible that it isn't offered? Some people just want their discount and others couldn't careless. My brother is a DV and has never asked for a discount. I have an active duty tenant that has been here several years, never asked. I have 2 active duty that did ask. I think it just depends on the person or how frugal they are and simply wanting to save money. You can bet when I'm 65, I'll be asking for my senior discount and hitting folks with my purse
    Well, some places define "seniors" as young as 50 years old, so it's no surprise some tenants would think they're eligible when they aren't. As far as the guy that called us, to me there's little difference between saying "that's terrible [that you don't offer the discount I want" and "you all are terrible [for not offering it]" since obviously we're the ones who decide the specials. It definitely wasn't a simple "aww, shucks" kind of remark, seeing as he hung up in my face. He was obviously incensed about it. To my knowledge, this is the only time anything like that has happened to me when asked about specials. I've had people abruptly hang up on me before because they didn't like the price (you know, the folks who want a 10x20 climate unit for $50/month + first month free in the center of a bustling urban area, LOL!), but never someone rant about our specials. Oh well, like I said - likely dodge a bullet anyway, because if he's that self-entitled, I'm sure he'd not adhere to our facility policies while here.

Leave a comment:

• AngelaESSTX
    replied
    We offer senior/police/ & active duty military, as well. It's not advertised, but I will give it if they ask. I do have 1 tenant here that is not active duty, rather a Vet, that I give the discount to. Usually when someone asks if we do such-n-such discount, I tell them the ones we do offer. I've actually had more people try to get a senior discount and they're not even 65 lol. When I get their DLI have to tell them "You're not old enough for the senior discount...but on the brightside, you're not old enough for the discount!". Let's hope in OP situation it wasn't personal. It didn't seem as if he were saying you were terrible for not offering it, but rather it was terrible that it isn't offered? Some people just want their discount and others couldn't careless. My brother is a DV and has never asked for a discount. I have an active duty tenant that has been here several years, never asked. I have 2 active duty that did ask. I think it just depends on the person or how frugal they are and simply wanting to save money. You can bet when I'm 65, I'll be asking for my senior discount and hitting folks with my purse

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    replied
    We all have a differences of opinions, and we MUST respect them. No one should feel attacked on SST for sharing their thoughts. This bickering has gotten out of hand. Stop the fighting or I'll close the thread. It's a good topic, so I'd hate to do that.

Moreover, I'm not going to tolerate name calling (insinuated or said outright) or any bully behavior. Some people on this forum have become way too comfortable in thinking they can say whatever they want and back it up with "in my opinion." When you present IMO in a negative or bullying way, it's flaming and combative and it'll be deleted.
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 12 July 2021, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RMRSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Offering a discount has nothing to do with pressures of active duty or retired life, but now I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you feel pity for them, not respect. But that's just MHO based on your comments

We offer the discount to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Your sacrifice means a lot to us and we're willing to say "thank you" in the form of a discount.

BTW, If I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, I'm a vet too. And since you hold that other person (who wrote the article) in such high regard because of his service, why not me too?

Alaska has more vets per capita than any other state and we still offer the discount because its the right thing to do. You don't and that's fine, that's your choice
    We treat ALL of our customers with respect. We happen to have a couple categories of people we give a courtesy 10% discount to, and those happen to be active duty military and seniors 65 or older. They aren't advertised specials, but we offer them if asked. If you think we're wrong to not offer vets a discount too, then why stop with vets? What about both active AND retired teachers, police, fire EMS, postal workers and other couriers, students, city council members, single moms/dads, etc. etc. Are you arguing that if we don't give a particular group a discount, that we don't respect them and we are doing the WRONG thing? Seriously?

Last edited by Amy_ISS; 14 June 2021, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grizz
    replied
    Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

Yes, and that's because like most vets, you're a decent person. And I'd also hope that, unlike one poster here, you wouldn't think ill of our company for NOT offering such a discount. We've chosen to limit it to active duty only, and I think that's very reasonable, considering the pressures of active duty military life vs. retired life (there still may be pressures, of course, but not because of the military).
    Offering a discount has nothing to do with pressures of active duty or retired life, but now I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you feel pity for them, not respect. But that's just MHO based on your comments

We offer the discount to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Your sacrifice means a lot to us and we're willing to say "thank you" in the form of a discount.

BTW, If I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, I'm a vet too. And since you hold that other person (who wrote the article) in such high regard because of his service, why not me too?

Alaska has more vets per capita than any other state and we still offer the discount because its the right thing to do. You don't and that's fine, that's your choice

Leave a comment:

• RMRSS
    replied
    Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
    As a Vet myself I always ask if there's a discount (I don't make enough money to scorn a discount), however, if they say 'No, sorry', that's the end of it. I don't feel 'entitled'
    Yes, and that's because like most vets, you're a decent person. And I'd also hope that you wouldn't think ill of our company for NOT offering such a discount. We've chosen to limit it to active duty only, and I think that's very reasonable, considering the pressures of active duty military life vs. retired life (there still may be pressures, of course, but not because of the military).
    Last edited by MamaDuke; 12 June 2021, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KrisinWA
    replied
    As a Vet myself I always ask if there's a discount (I don't make enough money to scorn a discount), however, if they say 'No, sorry', that's the end of it. I don't feel 'entitled', but feel a warm fuzzy if they say yes.

Our co solves this by offering a 10% disc for 6 months for seniors, military/veterans, and law enforcement/fire. Often the current special is a better deal, but if they ask, I'll say yes.

Leave a comment:

• Grizz
    replied
    Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

Oh yes it was personal, don't give me that BS. You clearly are referring to me along with others. And what the hell do you mean "acts like that" towards vets? We simply don't offer a veteran discount. I'm not treating the vet that called today any different than all the others we've spoken to and rented to. I was very respectful to him on the phone and he was very disrespectful towards me. If we didn't care about the military, we wouldn't be offering an active duty discount, now would be? Hello?! Do you offer a discount to EVERY person who is in an honorable profession (or retired from one)? If you don't, does that mean you don't care about them? Your line of reasoning here is ridiculous. We price our units competitively for everyone and guarantee rates for a year for everyone. We treat every customer with respect and request they also treat us with respect.

How about YOU do what YOU feel led to do in terms of whom you offer discounts to and stop judging others for not running their business just like you?

I'll leave you with this short piece from a retired Army LTC and business owner writing against this attitude of entitlement among SOME military members and their families. I guess you can write him and tell him what a jerk he is

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tary-families/

I will not reply further to your nasty comments. Grow up!
    Like is said before and now I'll put it in big print so you dont miss it
    "You dont have to like my opinion or agree with it. We/I will always be free to speak my mind thanks to the Vets of this great Country."

And yes, I do disagree with some of what he said, BUT he is free to speak his mind

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X