Tenant Move's into Wrong Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Move's into Wrong Unit

Wow did I have a doozy in the last couple days.

I get a call yesterday afternoon that a new tenant has arrived and there is a lock on the door he rented. With some luck I had another slightly smaller unit just open up so I had a place to put this tenant.

I arrive at the facility to check things out. I pull up my camera footage and gate access logs, this allowed me to quickly find out who was using the unit. As I am about to call this person to find out what is happening they happen to arrive on site with another load for the unit. So I went out to ask them about it.... This is where the craziness ensues... Luckily there was another tenant accessing his unit right next to the confrontation.

I pull up and approach their vehicle which 3 people are inside of. I asked why they are using the unit they are parked in front of, and explained that this unit is rented to someone else and that they would have to move their items to the unit that they rented.

The renter told me that they were never informed which unit they rented when they completed the online rental. They also claimed the person they talked to on the phone said they could move into any unit with a green tie on it.

I explain that neither of those things were true, that the unit number was given at the time of rental online, and that it was also in several automated emails they were sent. I also said I was the person they talked to Saturday, and that I never said they could move into any unit that was empty. They also said they didn't get the email the day they rented, that they didn't get it till after they moved in the next day.

Here is a little back story. This person called Saturday needing a unit, the largest I had was 5x10 hallway access units. Which I helped them reserve on my website (they called a recorded line) They didn't start moving in till Sunday evening. The unit they chose to move into was an outside access 10x25. Obviously this was an easy mistake to make.......

To this group of people their mistakes were all my fault. After they argued with me a while blaming everything on me. I gave them a ultimatum. Either move the stuff to the other unit (way to small for their stuff) or I am going to overlock this unit and deny access immediately. This sent them into a furry. They asked me if I was going to help them move. I said no. They started getting in my face and yelling at me. At which point I said at this time I am terminating your rental agreement immediately you need to remove everything from the property right away.

This didn't simmer their tempers at all. At this point I said I am calling the police, which made them all the more angry. They asked if I refund their card will the money be there right away for them to use the same day? We all know the answer to that, and so did they. At this point the people who were with the tenant started going bat **** crazy. When they started to threaten my health and damage to my property I got in my truck and went back to the gate to wait for the police. I also called them back to inform them that they had made threats at that point.

They also pulled out to wait for the police, when they arrived I gave them my version of the events, and told them I terminated their agreement and their property needs to be removed from the site.

The cop went over for their version of events which of course was filled with lies (luckily I had the witness there, which didn't really matter at the end of the day) I showed the cops the signed rental agreement with the unit number they rented and size right above the signature. This didn't really matter to them at the end of the day, because this was a civil matter but it proved my version of the events.

I told the tenant that I would write a check for the total rental amount as soon as the unit was empty. They told the cops they aren't moving anything till they get their money back, the cop responded that if that is the case that I will lock out the unit until the civil matter could be concluded which would likely take months.

At this point the tenant asks for badge numbers of both officers, and says I am getting turned into the NAACP and the Iowa Civil Rights Commision because I am clearly being racist, and only taking this action because they are black.

At this point they go to my neighbors across the street to see if they can rent a unit with no money. The officer tells them maybe they can call me and I will explain the situation to them. They drive over there, and I tell the officers I sure hope they don't call me, because if they do I will be completely honest with them. At which point there is no way they would rent to them.

They come back after no luck, and they start arguing and yelling at the cops. At which point he puts his foot down, and lays it out for them. I was generous in giving them till 5pm the next day, at the end they said they would be done in 5 hours.

I seriously doubt I will hear from the NAACP or the Iowa civil rights commision, I am not to concerned between the original recorded call, the signed rental agreement, and the witness to everything they said they will not have much room to stand on. In their defense I believe they had just been kicked out of their apartment, and had no money. Which I am sure added to their stress in this whole ordeal. I am sure me kicking them out due to their attitudes did not help things at all. In the end of the day this had nothing to do with their race, just that they were trying to steal from me, and I called them out on it.

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
    ..... In their defense I believe they had just been kicked out of their apartment, and had no money. Which I am sure added to their stress in this whole ordeal. I am sure me kicking them out due to their attitudes did not help things at all. In the end of the day this had nothing to do with their race, just that they were trying to steal from me, and I called them out on it.
    There is no defense for them. You did well by getting rid of them. This type of behavior, lack of accountability, lack of civil discourse and general lack of societal skill will continue as long as our society continues to coddle those who act this way. Make no excuses for them, there is none.

Comment

So they had paid for the 5x10 but were physically putting their items in the 10x25?
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
        So they had paid for the 5x10 but were physically putting their items in the 10x25?
        Yes they paid for a hallway access 5x10 and moved into a drive up 10x25. I asked them about the size difference. The response I got was, "I ain't no expert on measuring things)

Clearly their vision is shot and probably shouldn't have a drivers license if they can't tell the difference between 5 feet and 25 feet

Comment

work.jpg
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

The only thing I might have done differently was given them cash to go away instead of a check. I would not want some of my tenants to have account and banking information. Had a situation very much like this without the tenant attitude and gave them cash to vacate the unit. You handled it very well and professional (and have all the documentation, recordings and witnesses). It is too bad, these type of uncommon situations are becoming all too common.

Comment

Yikes, that is all too bad, I am sorry. and its crazy for them to think the large unit was a 5x10! This world is just getting crazier!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X