Gate lockout is unprofessional LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate lockout is unprofessional LOL

So apparently it's "unprofessional" to lock someone out at the gate. LOL I just called a tenant who wrote a note on their invoice that was in the envelope with their mailed-in payment. I wanted to let them know I'd received their LATE payment and read the note. The wife went off on this tirade about how they've only been late with their payment once, were not paying the late fee this time, and how unprofessional it is to not allow someone in when their payment is late, "especially since we've been there for all these years". She complained about how she doesn't want the invoice by email anymore because "I'm 83 and Bob's 86 and we're just not doing that anymore". Ok, whatever. Then she started ranting about how unhappy her husband is that he wasn't able to get in yesterday. Because yesterday, apparently, is the only day they had time to bring in their christmas stuff and swap it out for their mardi gras stuff before their niece and her husband get here. These people are in their late 80s, what else could they possibly be doing that they don't have time to come to their unit?? Oh, then after her ranting about everything, she hung up on me. Can't wait til he comes "storming" in to yell at me, too.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Update: well, he was just here and he is much nicer than his wife. I explained to him the exact same thing I said to her and he was very understanding. As far as the email is concerned, he asked if I could send the invoice by both email and regular mail, for now, as he thinks it's just a one-time issue with not receiving it via email and will not be an issue going forward. I don't have a problem doing that. He is at his unit now doing whatever it is he needed to do yesterday.

Comment

I had a tenant call me a little while ago trying to get in the gate, he asked "You guys lock people out after 2 months of none payment?" I responded gate codes are locked out after 6 days..... He hung up and that was the end of that conversation.

I no longer give people the option of a paper mailed invoice. It is either email or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
        I had a tenant call me a little while ago trying to get in the gate, he asked "You guys lock people out after 2 months of none payment?" I responded gate codes are locked out after 6 days..... He hung up and that was the end of that conversation.

I no longer give people the option of a paper mailed invoice. It is either email or nothing.
        We offer a paper invoice to be mailed, however the tenant pays a $2. a month fee.
        Needless to say that I mail NONE but many get the email 2 weeks before due date and our system will also SMS (text) them when they are 3 days late..I think!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Most that get an invoice mailed get them quarterly, not monthly, but there are a few exceptions. I have a lot that get them via email and I try to push that as often as possible.

Comment

Ya know what else I will say as a helpful reminder?
            I hang a paper calendar in my kitchen at home>
            I will ask a tenant if they do the same and if they say yes, I encourage them to go home and put on each month when the storage rent is due!
            They appreciate my helpful tip if they use a paper calendar and old timers usually do!

Oh GOOD GRIEF! I guess it's official, I AM an old-timer!
            HA HA HA

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
              Ya know what else I will say as a helpful reminder?
              I hang a paper calendar in my kitchen at home>
              I will ask a tenant if they do the same and if they say yes, I encourage them to go home and put on each month when the storage rent is due!
              They appreciate my helpful tip if they use a paper calendar and old timers usually do!

Oh GOOD GRIEF! I guess it's official, I AM an old-timer!
              HA HA HA
              Every year we send out a paper calendar, I wonder if the calendar company can print on the 1st each month rent is due.

Comment

So many people have smart phones these days that all they need to do is put a reminder in the calendar. You can set it to pop up whenever you want. The days of "I forgot" just don't fly with me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                  So many people have smart phones these days that all they need to do is put a reminder in the calendar. You can set it to pop up whenever you want. The days of "I forgot" just don't fly with me anymore.
                  But not with our senior citizens!
                  My Mom has a smartphone...she doesn't know how to use it though!
                  She can dial out and she knows how to answer it and that is all she knows!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post

Every year we send out a paper calendar, I wonder if the calendar company can print on the 1st each month rent is due.
                    That is an EXCELLENT idea!!!!!
                    I LOVE it!

Comment

I feel ya.
                      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                      Always sunny in California

Comment

Great rant DairyGirl Totally agree with you. And love all the follow up comments.

Comment

Our procedure is the exact same as Lady5563. I do mail out invoices for 6 month & 12 month prepayment tenants. I DO have a special list of long term tenants that I make sure to call at the first of each month as a courtesy. Many of them do not get the SMS on the 3rd or we do not have mobile numbers for them. I can't do that with everyone (almost 700 tenants) but I make a point to call the ones on my list.

Comment

You don’t want to pay the late fee? That’s fine, I’ll send you a move out agreement agreeing to settle for a lesser amount. You’ll need to move out within 24 hours. Is the email address I have on file a good one?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X