Tenant went to auction, fights it kicking and screaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant went to auction, fights it kicking and screaming

Our policy is cash, cashiers check or money order in full prior to auction ending if tenant wants to keep his stuff.

I spoke to them last week, I emailed them yesterday before the auction (he'd stated he was sending a money order) letting him know his payment didn't arrive in time to stop the auction. My manager spoke to them before that, and we were very clear. We sent them stuff announcing the auction.

Auction ends and he calls with his 'lawyer'.

"Sorry, auction is ended."

'lawyer, who I suspect is his gf' "Is his stuff still there? He tried to pay and no one answered!" Clue: He tried to pay over the phone but that's disabled because, CASH etc. etc.

"Listen, you're not the tenant."

"He's right here. IS HIS STUFF THERE?" We're on speaker and she's 'recording' -He chimes in.

So, unit is sold but there's a small caveat with the auction co. If tenant Pays before buyer comes in, the auction will be canceled (with appropriate penalties)

So I told them I'm going to call my supervisor, HUNG UP, and called him. He said, "Sure, if he's there in a hour, BEFORE THE AUCTION WINNER, and pays the cash, and then moves everything out, we'll take it."

You can see where this is going.

Never shows, continues to call, bluff and threaten-"Why can't I pay with a debit card?" (I'm going to complain to the BBB, I'm going to sue!) . I move him out. No longer my tenant, no longer his unit.

This morning Sherriff comes in, I explain everything-no payment, no stuff. Followed the lien laws. He understands and goes to deal with the ex tenant.

UGH, I was so stressed last night. Try to do a nice thing and it bites me in the butt. I KNOW better.

It is officially gone, winner picked it up.

"The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
    Always sunny in California

Isn't it delightful? I had one that had all her family members calling AFTER the auction making all kinds of threats. She had pushed to auction day for YEARS so she knew the rules. Kept threatening to call her attorney. Yeah...if you couldn't pay storage, you can't pay an attorney!!!

Nothing ever came of it, but it was a nightmare for a couple weeks dealing with the nasty calls.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Cracks me up that SO many deadbeats and blowhards think that the phrase "I'm going to call my lawyer" is supposed to act like some kryptonite on us. I welcome it when they use it, I tell them I'd be happy to speak to their lawyer because they may actually understand what a rental agreement is, the agreed upon terms outlined within it, and the proper actions that have been taken in accordance with the executed contract.

Please! Have your lawyer contact me, here's my card. Please!

I've also said "ok, since YOU have threatened legal action, I can now no longer speak to you over the phone or in person. All communication from this point forward must be in writing. You can drop off correspondence during office hours or use our business email, which will provide a time stamp and proof of your communication. Just as my communication with you has been for the past many months. Thank you, this conversation is now over. I look forward to hearing from your lawyer"

As Mamaduke said, exactly ZERO of these kinds of people have access to a lawyer. They're going to call one and say they'd like to hire them to represent them on a contract dispute arising from not paying their measly storage bill? They're confused, their bail bondsman is not 'their lawyer'.
      Last edited by Storman; 2 July 2022, 12:30 AM.
      In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
        Cracks me up that SO many deadbeats and blowhards think that the phrase "I'm going to call my lawyer" is supposed to act like some kryptonite on us. I welcome it when they use it, I tell them I'd be happy to speak to their lawyer because they may actually understand what a rental agreement is, the agreed upon terms outlined within it, and the proper actions that have been taken in accordance with the executed contract.

I've also said "ok, since YOU have threatened legal action, I can now no longer speak to you over the phone or in person. All communication from this point forward must be in writing. You can drop off correspondence during office hours or use our business email, which will provide a time stamp and proof of your communication. Just as my communication with you has been for the past many months. Thank you, this conversation is now over. I look forward to hearing from your lawyer"

As Mamaduke said, exactly ZERO of these kinds of people have access to a lawyer. They're going to call one and say they'd like to hire them to represent them on a contract dispute arising from not paying their measly storage bill? They're confused, their bail bondsman is not 'their lawyer'.
        I know-I've been doing this for years and I still fell for this BS.

Comment

Pretty sure the cost of a lawyer would be WAY more than the cost of paying his darn storage. But whatever...

Comment

We do the same thing. If the "attorney" wants to call, they may speak to our attorney, XX.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X