Winsen Sentinel Communication Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winsen Sentinel Communication Issues

We are is having a problem with a random failure of communication with the access gate at a newly built facility. Software and hardware is new and Sentinel is unsure what is causing it. The gate will be working fine and for no apparent reason shut down at random times (middle of the night, first thing in the morning or during the day). Anything that we are overlooking as a reason?

Are you sure your wiring is new??

Also, it could just be as easy as bad sensors!!!!
    In that I mean, fog or moisture could be building up on a sensor causing the failure.

Been there/done that!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

It's a brand new facility and all the wiring came new from Sentinel. Hoping someone has had a similar issue we can check on.

Comment

Middle of the night? Bad things happen at 24/7 access. lady, what sensors are you talking about? Isn't it just a keypad and the wiring to the system and shared input/output of it all? Intermittent problems suck!
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

The facility does not have 24/7 access. No one is attempting to access the gate at the times it has shut down. It just shows a response failure on the gate log.

Comment

I have sensors on the gate, where the red eye sensor is.
            At times when it goes from above freezing and then drops to freezing, my red eye sensor became foggy and the motor would not open the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
              I have sensors on the gate, where the red eye sensor is.
              At times when it goes from above freezing and then drops to freezing, my red eye sensor became foggy and the motor would not open the gate!
              Ok, I only asked because I was confused how it might work differently.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

That's good info. Since its happening when no one is trying to access it, we just can't figure it out. Getting a hold of Sentinal at the time of the occurance has also been slowing down figuring out what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                  That's good info. Since its happening when no one is trying to access it, we just can't figure it out. Getting a hold of Sentinal at the time of the occurance has also been slowing down figuring out what it is.
                  What software are you using? We have problems like this too. Sentinal has been no help whatsoever. But I think ours stems from the two softwares not being able to talk to each other, b/c we are using WSS for the storage and Winsen for the gates. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out.
                  "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

We are currently having an issue at one of our locations.
                    Property is probably less than 10 years old.
                    Brand new facility, then.
                    We have just been told by a gate servcie technician that the brand new install (when prop was built) of gate with keypads is a wire issue!
                    We were told that the installer used phone cable wires!!!

Sometimes the gate wil open when a tenant enters their code, sometimes it won't!

Gate provider blaming the tenant software and software blaming the gate software.
                    You just can't make this sttuff up!

Comment

We're using Winsen management software too. The five other locations are not having this issue so I assume it's something in the new setup. Thank you all for the responses!

Comment

We are currently having an issue at one of our locations.
                        Property is probably less than 10 years old.
                        Brand new facility, then.
                        We have just been told by a gate servcie technician that the brand new install (when prop was built) of gate with keypads is a wire issue!
                        We were told that the installer used phone cable wires!!!

Sometimes the gate wil open when a tenant enters their code, sometimes it won't!

Gate provider blaming the tenant software and software blaming the gate software.
                        You just can't make this sttuff up!
                        Speaking in general, and not regarding your specific situation. it's quite possible that an install done with the incorrect cable type will work for some time, even years, before problems occur.

Not all cable is made the same. Some cables are made only to be used indoors, in dry conditions. Other types (that cost more) are made so that they can be installed in more harsh conditions, such as being pulled through an underground conduit that (most likely) will get moisture in it after time passes.

If you pull a cable specified for indoor use only through a conduit underground (i.e. to a gate operator), it will eventually break down and deteriorate.

It's like a mechanic repairing a car with shoddy parts. It'll work for a time, but not as long as it should.

For troubleshooting your particular case, when you say that the gate only opens sometimes, does the access control system always show that the code was accepted? Also, what is the ratio of gate works OK / gate doesn't work? 90/10, or what?

Comment

Yes that is exactely what is happening, we are being told.
                          These wire/lines are installed underground in a conduit piping system.
                          They are now starting to fail.
                          Yes, the gate activity shows ACCESS GRANTED and the gate opens sometimes.
                          At this point I would say it fails 90% of the time.
                          The manager at that location, unfortunately, keeps the gate open at all times.
                          There isn't much more we can do until it gets fixed.
                          We have a work order, we are now waiting on parts delivery and then scheduling.

Will keep you all posted on our progress.

Comment

If the keypad always shows access granted there is probably a breakdown in the communication between the access control device and the gate itself, and not the wires that go from the key pads to the access control device.

I have had safety devices fail before like the in ground loop that can create issues as well.

Just remember as Robert said above even if you put conduit underground, it will still get water in it at times. So you must use outdoor rated cables. I would just tie off the old cable to a new one and pull it through.

Comment

If the system is showing access granted every time, the problem is most likely in these areas.

1: The relay on the access system that controls the gate could be damaged. 10% chance I'd say of this.
                              2: The wire between the relay and the gate operator. 45% chance.
                              3: The operator itself. 45% chance.

If the gate fails as often as you say, the easiest way to troubleshoot this is to disconnect the wires at the relay, and touch the two wires together to send the signal to the gate to open.

1: If the gate opens every time, it's the relay that's causing the problem.
                              2: If the gate still intermittently opens, move to the point where the wire connects to the gate operator and short the two connections the wire is attached to. Does the gate open every time now?

Yes = problem is in the wire.
                              No = problem is the gate operator.

"The manager at that location, unfortunately, keeps the gate open at all times." - How do they do this? A switch in the office? Open the gate and shut off the power?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X