Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!

We've had a couple of break-ins where the back wall panels on a couple of buildings have been removed. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ideas on a good fix? Thanks!
    Danielle

Lights and cameras? My experience is once they find a way in they will keep coming back.

Comment

Is the facility fenced in? If not it should be considered, along with motion sensor lighting, continuous lighting, and cameras. Asking the local police to patrol by as a courtesy, explaining the issue would not be amiss as well.
      90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

A person could assemble buildings with screws from both sides to make this more difficult (may need to put caps on the sharp points on the other side if the sharp ends aren't recessed in the corrugation), or use some tamper resistant fasteners. But the other ideas above really ought to be enough to end the problem. If the empty units in question are ones that you need to leave unlocked due to being an unmanned site, use combination locks such as the Davinci locks. https://davincilock.com/Account/HowItWorks
        Last edited by Steve_hajewski; 19th November 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Do you mean building that the building is the fence and exposed to the outside? If that is the case I'm not sure how to fix the problem except cameras and good lighting.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
            Do you mean building that the building is the fence and exposed to the outside? If that is the case I'm not sure how to fix the problem except cameras and good lighting.
            Depends on how the building was built. You should install a wall (sheet metal) from the inside making them have to go through 2 layers, with the inside layer not having screws exposed to the outside.

If someone want's in, they will get in one way or another. I personally believe cameras don't do a damn thing. It's pretty easy to figure out where a camera is and disable it without being seen. Cameras are just to make a facility look safe to a prospective customer (yes we have them too).

Comment

Oh wow, I totally missed that it was the back walls... first time I have ever heard of that happening. This will probably slow them down:
              https://www.grainger.com/category/sh.../N-8n5Z1z0gvhs
              I like that these are stainless as to not rust, but I suspect you'll need to predrill if you are going into heavy gauge framing or multiple layers.

As for cameras, i have caught three people on my site doing stupid stuff and not a one of them was bright enough to deal with the cameras first. And once, the cameras prevented the theft of a skid loader when they went through mud to avoid going past the cameras - then they got stuck and fled the scene. I'd say they have some value. Crooks aren't always the brightest bunch.

Comment

Is there any way to anchor the panels to the floor and ceiling using angle brackets, or something similar? Or metal straps, like tie-down straps, fastened along the length of the seams to keep them from being pulled apart?
                Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

OpenTech recently launched a new security service called SmartEye that will detect and deter criminals.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! We ended up using rivets on the backside of the wall. So far, so good! And cheap too
                    Danielle

Comment

Hmm, interesting. We've never had this happen. Although I heard cases when crooks would take down panels between units. In either case one of the recourses is to do site inspections several times a week. (We do them on Mon, Wed, and Fri.) This way you will catch it quickly and will be able to respond in time. Also (recording) security cameras will help you see how they accomplished it (it obviously won't prevent it.) Additionally, infrared perimeter/security beams could be installed to catch the moment when someone breaks in and crosses the beam (so that you can catch them in the act.) But that last scenario assumes that the site is locked down at night and that the layout is such that allows the use of said security beams. Last suggestion is to remove all landscaping/brush/trees that could allow crooks easy access to the site wall, or that hides their actions. In other words, eliminate any hiding places. Each wall should be in clear view from the street and also well lit.

Comment

This reminds me of a show called "Animal Kingdom" on TNT where there is a family of thieves named Cody and the family patriarch, played by Ellen Barkin, has been taking an extra cut of their theft jobs and storing it away in an indoor storage facility unit and one of the boys found out and rented the unit at the backside and methodically removed the dividing wall at the back and stole everything out of the unit. The look on her face when she opened the door to the ransacked unit was priceless.
                        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X