Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Domain

Re-posting as it may be a better subject for this forum:

We are looking to get our domain setup and wanted to know if there is a benefit to using one service over the other like Google Domain or Go Daddy? The site we want is available and our 3rd option is to let our Software vendor buy/rent the domain for us. Pricing is a consideration and varies between all three of them. Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion on this topic.

Originally posted by Randyi View Post
    Re-posting as it may be a better subject for this forum:

We are looking to get our domain setup and wanted to know if there is a benefit to using one service over the other like Google Domain or Go Daddy? The site we want is available and our 3rd option is to let our Software vendor buy/rent the domain for us. Pricing is a consideration and varies between all three of them. Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion on this topic.
    IMO: You're better off owning the URL of your choice than renting it elsewhere. Websites take time to index and grow properly. It's an investment that will pay off in the long run. GoDaddy works just fine.

Comment

Tony, thanks for your reply. It looks like both GoDaddy and Google rent the Domains, is there an option to purchase and own the Domain? I'll look again but thought I would ask for a clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Randyi View Post
        Tony, thanks for your reply. It looks like both GoDaddy and Google rent the Domains, is there an option to purchase and own the Domain? I'll look again but thought I would ask for a clarification.
        You're welcome..It is very tricky to do so however..If you plan on owning the business forever..I'd just rent it, and build your business up to the point of where you may be in a position to eventually sell it, then this becomes an asset.
        If you need any help, let me know..that is what we do.

Comment

I would caution you against letting someone else, like a vendor own your domain name. They could jack up the rates at will, hold your domain hostage and you'd lose access to the domain you selected unless you paid up. Or as we saw many times when doing websites for people, the website person/company goes under, closes up shop etc. and your domain name goes with them. I prefer to own mine. But trusting a well known company like GoDaddy or Google works just fine.
          Gina 6k
          twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
          VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
          storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
          I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Oh, absolutely DO NOT use GoDaddy. That is the worst option you can choose. That company not only has awful customer service, but also a pretty bad security record. Check this out.

Also, absolutely DO register and own the domain yourself using your OWN email address! This is paramount if you don't want to get scammed by your "web designer" or anyone else like software vendor. (The latter one will introduce a huge and unnecessary markup for "domain management" which is NOT needed at all.)

My suggestions where to register a domain name are these:

- Google Domains

- CloudFlare Registrar

- Hover

Also remember that the domain name shouldn't cost you more than $10-$20 per YEAR. It doesn't need any management or any other upsell you may hear about.
            - 15+ yr experience in software/app developement
            - 10 yr experience w/self-storage business/IT

Comment

You can't guess. But I would choose Google Domain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X