Powered stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered stalls

Anyone renting powered units, for charging boats/rv's etc.. as I am planning out a facility I had though of putting in smart outlets or some sort into the stalls. Then using automation to enable or disable depending on the charged rent for the space.

That seems like a great idea-though place them somewhere they won't get damaged when a senior citizen inevitably knocks into one side of the other. I've had many phone calls for powered spaces so they can run dehumidifiers or a trickle charge for their battery.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

I have some of them on my property. Each on a separate 20 amp breaker. I charge a $20 per month premium for the power. I have an automated kiosk for rentals but those units are blocked off in the management software so that you need to meet me to rent them.

So far those units have been successful in attracting high income clients storing somewhat exotic cars. There are no other units like them in the area... some of mine are also climate controlled.

Comment

Good feedback, I really like the Levitons and could see putting automation in place to handle it. I could use If this then that to turn on or off the outlet. The drawback is that the outlets all have a manual option to turn it on. I think using IFTTT can just shut it off it detected every 5 min or something like that. $20 is what I thought was a good number as well. I am in early planning stages for the site - first site I have built so I want to automate and maximize as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tandrle View Post
          Good feedback, I really like the Levitons and could see putting automation in place to handle it. I could use If this then that to turn on or off the outlet. The drawback is that the outlets all have a manual option to turn it on. I think using IFTTT can just shut it off it detected every 5 min or something like that. $20 is what I thought was a good number as well. I am in early planning stages for the site - first site I have built so I want to automate and maximize as much as I can.
          I'm a big fan of automation. I was "into it" before it was cool. I have a great setup at home that runs Insteon (automation), Elk (security), and an ISY944i to control it all. Very powerful setup and has worked very very well for the past 8 years or so. But still requires "maintenance" sometimes.

For my site I chose to go with Control4 for automation instead of doing it myself. Same principle on the automation and security, but Control4 is a high end name brand in the dealer installed automation game and I wanted more integration with TV's / cameras / music / etc in the facility (vs. my home) so wanted a pro to do it. Again, I'm more than capable to have done it myself, but chose the professional route as this is a high-end Class A facility and I wanted to rely on them to design / install / and service it in the future.

With all that said, for power in my units I chose to go with a breaker setup. Each unit is on its own breaker and it's turned on/off depending on whether they pay for that privilege or not. (No automation).

When you truly automate, they want everything hardwired (no WIFI or wireless at all). In a commercial building they never utilize wireless signals for automation as it's too unreliable. If you go with an Insteon or alternative technology that uses powerline signals (it sends data down your actual electric wires), then I could see that being the best way to "automate" remotely to the outlet itself (outside of true hardwire via CAT cables). I wouldn't use any of the technology out there that is WIFI or Bluetooth (the typical stuff you see homeowners automating with).

However, I still think the best setup is the most basic and reliable and thus chose to do the individual breaker setup myself for power in the units.

Essentially I'm saying that I love automation, but since I don't have access into those units and because I want everything on the site to be as reliable as possible, I chose to not use automation for that. Not saying that's the correct or only way to go, just my opinion.

P.S. Insteon makes an outlet that can be turned on/off via their software (I prefer the ISY 994i controller). They send data via powerline (down the electrical wires) and via radio signal (NOT WIFI!). That's important because it's less likely to get interference. It's also a mesh network so the more devices you have, the more it talks to itself and relays signal so it actually becomes stronger with more devices (not weighed down and weaker).

Comment

Originally posted by tandrle View Post
            Forgot to add. I wouldn't recommend IFTTT for any sort of commercial space/use. You're relying on a third party to control things and that's not a reliable solution for a business/commercial space. I loved IFTTT for my daily weather text, until they recently no longer support that. And that's a good example why your site has to control everything (hardware and software on site) and not want to rely on an outside third party to control.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
              Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
              by Bighank
              Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
              Yesterday, 11:31 PM
            • KrisinNC
              Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
              by KrisinNC
              This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
              Yesterday, 07:06 PM
            • Beebop
              Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
              by Beebop
              Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
              Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            Working...
            X