Insomniac CIA keaypads VS PTI Keypad System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomniac CIA keaypads VS PTI Keypad System

We are currently using Quickstor keypads but we seem to have a lot of surge board and keypad issues. I'm tired of the constant issues so we are looking to change our keypad System. I have narrowed it down to the Insomniac CIA keypad system or a PTI system. We use Sitelink and both the insomniac and the PTI should integrate with sitelink just fine. I like the idea of Insomniac having a cloud based system that doesn't rely on a PC like PTI does. Of course with a cloud base system comes a monthly fee, though it will keep us automatically up to day with software. I see pros and cons to both but I haven't spoken to many that have used either system. So, my question is are there any of you out there that use one of these systems that can comment on any surge problems with the boards? I'm currently having to change surge boards or keypads multiple times a year with only 4 keypads.

Any input anyone can give as to going with one system or the other would be appreciated.

Keep in mind-I have no electrical experience (well, no, that's not true as I helped my ex completely rewire our first house and no one died) Can I ask if you have a surge protector on your main electric line? I had one installed on my house in NC because we used to get storms and I had a billion tall trees around.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Hmm, I never thought of using a surge protector for the regulated transformer, I assumed that is what the surge board on the keypad was supposed to do. Can anyone tell me if I should have the transformer powering the keypad plugged into a surge protector like you do with a computer?

Comment

I'd call your local electric company and see if they offer something like that. Mine did back in NC.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

FWIW my experience has been that the surge doesn't usually come from the power line but through the wires going to the keypad.

Comment

We initially used QuikStor and had ongoing problems with the system going down. Every time, QuikStor said it was our wiring. Our electrician (a Master Electrician) tested and said we meet all their requirements that they recommend. We had minimum voltage loss for the run. This went on and we even ran new wiring down to the keypads but guess what? Still had same problems. Everytime we had a storm we got paranoid that the gate would go down. By the way, we had surge protection on our main panel and at the keypads also. So, after constantly hearing its our wiring all the time we got rid of their keypads and switched to PTI. NO problems since!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
              Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
              by Bighank
              Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
              Yesterday, 11:31 PM
            • KrisinNC
              Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
              by KrisinNC
              This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
              Yesterday, 07:06 PM
            • Beebop
              Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
              by Beebop
              Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
              Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            Working...
            X