monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge

Generally speaking, self storage business was one of the business without monster company control the market. That means each local business can run individually.

Since these 3 companies were combined to one, then they start to force customers to use their high cost service. sitelink is highest cost of management software, sparefoot charges you 2-5 months rental fees although customer may only stay for one month. I push my google search on top in my area. I also use sparefoot for many years and pay them $500+ each month. You tell them the number of tenants move in each month. But now, they try to push me to use sitelink or storEdge, and then they can monitor your tenants move-in. That may cost me several thousand dollars each month. Actually, most customers find us from google search, and also make a reservation from sparefoot as sparefoot always make reservation for them as long as getting their phone calls. I have to quit from sparefoot because I an not afford several thousand dollars each month for those customers who may still find me from google search without seeing ADs on sparefoot.

The potential more damages to other storages are, sparefoot may pay google in future, rank the storages which use their services at top.

Several years ago, there are many storage marketing softwares existing on market, I hope they comes back again!
    Last edited by merry; 12th August 2019, 06:01 PM. Reason: add more

IT's definitely Sparefoot spreading their tentacles into all areas of self storage (like Hydra...yikes) and once they have you hostage-the young guns there say, "Raise all of the costs, they'll pay it to avoid moving."
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
      IT's definitely Sparefoot spreading their tentacles into all areas of self storage (like Hydra...yikes) and once they have you hostage-the young guns there say, "Raise all of the costs, they'll pay it to avoid moving."
      Ok the Hydra comment made me chuckle... It does suck that sparefoot is buying up all the companies, they purchased storsmart recently and I really like them as an insurance offer. Hoping they don't ruin them as they are great to deal with. To Sparefoot it's worth paying some ad fee's to boost their listing over yours on google as they are going to make so much off the location which is from customers who typically would of found you anyways even if you weren't on sparefoot imo. The owner here actually just called and brought up going back on sparefoot as we had a big fallout with them in April and turned it off for all of our sites. WE currently have 29 vacant at our site, all sites are in the 92% or higher range which I think is good but they want them 97%+ :\

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post

Ok the Hydra comment made me chuckle... It does suck that sparefoot is buying up all the companies, they purchased storsmart recently and I really like them as an insurance offer. Hoping they don't ruin them as they are great to deal with. To Sparefoot it's worth paying some ad fee's to boost their listing over yours on google as they are going to make so much off the location which is from customers who typically would of found you anyways even if you weren't on sparefoot imo. The owner here actually just called and brought up going back on sparefoot as we had a big fallout with them in April and turned it off for all of our sites. WE currently have 29 vacant at our site, all sites are in the 92% or higher range which I think is good but they want them 97%+ :\
        That's weird! My first boss, who has been self storage for 25+ years, and his dad for 20 before that, and his theory was 90% is ideal, anything above that it's time for a rent increase. He told me that you need spaces to rent-keep the facility turning over.

When we got up to 97% he patted us on the head and promptly had me raise rents..lol.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

That's weird! My first boss, who has been self storage for 25+ years, and his dad for 20 before that, and his theory was 90% is ideal, anything above that it's time for a rent increase. He told me that you need spaces to rent-keep the facility turning over.

When we got up to 97% he patted us on the head and promptly had me raise rents..lol.
          Yup.. I'm a firm believer in 92% is the "golden" number. That's how I was taught by various higher ups and owners including Barry Hoeven for WEstport when I walked properties with him To me 100% full is a bad thing, either you're not revenue managing your property properly and have too low of prices/no increases or your area has a vast need of more storage. Turning away a customer because you're full will just mean the the next time they need storage they wont even bother checking with you most likely.

Comment

Hi Merry,

I like to tread lightly on these subjects as a vendor myself, but I don't think it's as much as a "monopoly" to self-storage as some think. We're still flooded with software conversions (in a good way ) and I hear from other vendors that they are doing well themselves.

As KrisinNC pointed out, sometimes those who aren't happy with their current situation just don't want to go through the hassle of changing out of either fear of having to learn a new software or sometimes as simple as complacency.

If you didn't catch the 2019 ISS Technology Digital Issue, I would suggest checking out the "Modern Guide to Choosing Facility Software" on page 16. I can't quite place it, but something about that article really resonated with me....

I actually recommend reading everything, because it's all well written but pertaining to this subject specifically I'm hoping the guide may help. It's completely free to register for the download by the way, so register and read away.

Regarding your mention of self-storage marketing, it's actually amazing how many options there are available. For example - The Storage Group has a variety of marketing services available including progressive web apps (PWA) along with their online rental tool, Clickandstor 3.0 while Storelocal has an interesting approach with their Global Distribution System (GDS) powered Tenant interface and StorageFront listing services.

Sorry for the long post, but if any of this information helps in the slightest I'll be happy.
            Kevin Kerr
            Storage Commander Management Software
            k[email protected]
            Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

I started 18 months ago as a consultant to the absentee owners. They were having issues and needed someone to figure them all out. I did over the course of a month and got things on the right track (vacancy rate from 40% to 2%, all pmts accounted for, etc). They then hired me to run the facility for them. One of the first things I did was research all the software options out there. Because it was a simple operation with no gate and only 200+ units, I went with a simpler software package called 6Storage. I couldn't be happier. It isn't as full featured as the others but it has everything we need now as well a things for down the road (gate codes, credit cards, etc).

And, no, I am not affiliiated with them in any way. Just passing along the info. :-)

Matt
              Tonawanda Self Store

Comment

Originally posted by tonaselfstore View Post
                I started 18 months ago as a consultant to the absentee owners. They were having issues and needed someone to figure them all out. I did over the course of a month and got things on the right track (vacancy rate from 40% to 2%, all pmts accounted for, etc). They then hired me to run the facility for them. One of the first things I did was research all the software options out there. Because it was a simple operation with no gate and only 200+ units, I went with a simpler software package called 6Storage. I couldn't be happier. It isn't as full featured as the others but it has everything we need now as well a things for down the road (gate codes, credit cards, etc).

And, no, I am not affiliiated with them in any way. Just passing along the info. :-)

Matt
                Tonawanda Self Store
                Nicely done!

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
                  Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                  by Bighank
                  Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
                  Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                • KrisinNC
                  Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                  by KrisinNC
                  This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
                  Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                • Beebop
                  Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                  by Beebop
                  Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
                  Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                Working...
                X