No announcement yet.

Perimeter Security / Fence Alarm System question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on both sides of the tables at conventions, home shows, gun shows, archery events and other venues and have to say with your attitude I wouldn't bother reading your brochure or any handout you may offer.

I have no idea and many thousands of dollars I've sold and or spent at these shows but they are worth it.

Comment

Grizz I'm assuming that you're addressing this to me. But it would help if you @-mention the person who you're talking to.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
        Grizz I'm assuming that you're addressing this to me. But it would help if you @-mention the person who you're talking to.
        No, I was talk to RBTek, the OP

Comment

RBTEC, a few notes on your second post; no matter what keep pushing your sales. Every "No" gets you closer to a "Yes".

Potential Customers: Focus your efforts within the Storage market.
          a. Most country locations don't have fences or cameras. Would not spend your effort on that part of the market.
          b. Most large box stores don't have fences, since they are in buildings. So bypass them.
          c. A portion of city locations use decorative bar fence due to zoning or special use requirements versus chainlink. Normally no one cuts thru them.
          d. A good portion of your thefts are from fellow renters, who are already inside the perimeter. They either steal and take out immediately or move to their units and move later.

My take away from the above, is don't approach the customer, approach the fence dealers or Security installers. I would approach Chain link fence dealers instead for my marketing/advertising efforts, since they will have other commercial and industrial customer bases. Develop a coupon or referral program (my SEO is putting one on my website for customers or referrers today, I'll see how it works), otherwise why would they help you. Benefit their customers or pay them. If you have time or extra dollars, then approach the customers, only if you have a total package as noted below; that coordinates with their other systems.

Product Competition:
          Now that you have narrowed down your customers, lets look at your competition.
          a. Camera systems
          b. Motion sensors
          c. Activated Night lights
          d. Gate systems
          e. Individual unit alarms (PTI example)
          f. On premise managers
          g. Road sensors
          h. Services, you put the wire in, do you offer monitoring service for all of the above. Just putting the wire system in, isn't a longterm business plan. Give them a "total" product better than your competitors.
          I. If I was to design a fence for thieves to break through, I would design the chainlink fence. Easy to cut, doesn't make noise, no sharp edges when you step through. I can cut through the chainlink fence and step over or under the security wire. If your pushing the sensitivity part of it, I have cats, rabbits, raccoons, muskrats, birds coming through/on all of the time. You have to address.

My take away, is you have to beat all of these or augment them for their weaknesses to the potential customer.

Cost vs benefit:
          a. Does the location owner care?- I'll take me for example. I have a location that is fenced, but the gate is always open. Have a road sensor that sends me a text message from 10pm thru 7 am. Its 40 miles away. I don't call the police or run down there. It tells me what time frame the next day to check my cameras though. What will the owner want to do with the wire cut signal?
          b. Sensitivity- as questioned above what will trigger it and plus what do you want it to do (siren, lights, text message, etc). At another location we have motion sensor cameras. Normal days a cat, rabbit or my dog can run around and not trigger. Me, my wife or son will trigger it. Rain or Snow doesn't trigger it. Unless the snow flakes fly an inch away from the lense then I have a lot of alarms. Answer the sensitivity question and out sale your competition advantages/disadvantages.

Hope this gives you some insight to my view of storage unit security. The above are not "No's", they're maybes. You just need to out sale. When I did sales, I had to knock on 9 doors to get to my 10th door which was a sale. Keep knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
            I've been on both sides of the tables at conventions, home shows, gun shows, archery events and other venues and have to say with your attitude I wouldn't bother reading your brochure or any handout you may offer.

I have no idea and many thousands of dollars I've sold and or spent at these shows but they are worth it.
            What attitude are you talking about? I think you confused me with someone else since I didn't say anything negative on conventions.

Comment

@Clarkstoragellc I appreciate the post!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but got a bit different take on it. I will try to explain my view.

fence dealers or Security installers want to sell only what they know and feel comfortable with. Fence sensors are something most of them don't have experience so although in many cases it would be the best solution they will push Cameras or IR sensors who don't solve the problem.

The reason facility owners are a good market is that they are who feel the pain, nowadays they are who go out to the internet and look for solutions.
              We get a lot of inquires for fence protection so I know the need is out there and they don't feel any of the solutions you mentioned solve the problem.

Comment

This is a neat idea. Our property is quite large as the owners are not done developing. But here we have four rows of barbed wire at the top of the fence that surrounds the entire property, we also have over 30 security cameras and each unit is individually alarmed so I'm not sure this is something the owner's would be interested in. But when I worked at a facility owned by corporate and not well kept, this would of been great as the facility was off the beaten path, the driveway was the length of a football field and being in a wooded area with only 4 cameras, it definitely would of been ideal provided you would be notified by app or something if it was breached.

Comment

Originally posted by GM - StacieJ. - BSS View Post
                  This is a neat idea. Our property is quite large as the owners are not done developing. But here we have four rows of barbed wire at the top of the fence that surrounds the entire property, we also have over 30 security cameras and each unit is individually alarmed so I'm not sure this is something the owner's would be interested in. But when I worked at a facility owned by corporate and not well kept, this would of been great as the facility was off the beaten path, the driveway was the length of a football field and being in a wooded area with only 4 cameras, it definitely would of been ideal provided you would be notified by app or something if it was breached.
                  The main problem I have with this fence alarm is how reliable is it? Sure, they have a nice presentation and a video shot in a well controlled environment, but how would it work in a real world? So far I don't see any storage operator here who installed such alarm system to sing it any praises.

When we were installing security for our extended site back in 2016, which is about 500-ft by 200-ft in size, our installer suggested putting such a fence alarm (on a cheaper end of things) and I asked him point blank, about any false-positives/negatives that such tension-wire based system would produce -- and he said that he can't guarantee anything and that he saw a bunch of mixed results. That's all I can go by at this point.

In my view, the most reliable perimeter fence security are infrared beams that are installed waist high on the inside, in an unobstructed area inside the property. We have these in our old site and they worked great (provided someone takes time to calibrate them well and check once in a while.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X