Can Technology Help You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Technology Help You?

What technology would help you do your job better? For example, would having a kiosk free up your time so you can focus on marketing?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We need a tool to help the less technologically inclined people learn to use technology. One of the biggest things I run into are people who try to do a unit rental on a smartphone and not being able to read the small print because it is to small.

I would say 80-90% of my customers can seamlessly use the technology, then I have the spend most of my time helping the other use it.

Comment

My business partner and I recently purchased a nearly 50 year old property, one that was run very much as it was in the 1970's. Well organized, but everything on paper. And cash and check payments only.

At our first site which started in 2015 I have probably over 90% of my clients paying via automatic credit card payment. Of the remaining ones, they like to pay online or at the Kiosk to retain control of the process.

At the site we purchased, the clients are fighting signing new contracts, about half of them are over 70 years old and just about as many don't even have email, and some are upset that we are asking for their DL number and birthday. It's really been an eye opener how incredibly different these tenant populations are.

For most of these clients, asking them to pay via a web site is out of the question. A kiosk that takes cash would be great, but it's a smaller site and I'm not inclined to pay for it. So the current effort is simply to get them to sign contracts and use credit card autopay which we can configure for them over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
        My business partner and I recently purchased a nearly 50 year old property, one that was run very much as it was in the 1970's. Well organized, but everything on paper. And cash and check payments only.

At our first site which started in 2015 I have probably over 90% of my clients paying via automatic credit card payment. Of the remaining ones, they like to pay online or at the Kiosk to retain control of the process.

At the site we purchased, the clients are fighting signing new contracts, about half of them are over 70 years old and just about as many don't even have email, and some are upset that we are asking for their DL number and birthday. It's really been an eye opener how incredibly different these tenant populations are.

For most of these clients, asking them to pay via a web site is out of the question. A kiosk that takes cash would be great, but it's a smaller site and I'm not inclined to pay for it. So the current effort is simply to get them to sign contracts and use credit card autopay which we can configure for them over the phone.

Steve how do you configure credit card autopay over the phone? Are you just taking verbal authorization, and saving the information you are given over the phone?

We were instructed not to save credit card numbers given to us over the phone by our company attorney, to require them to sign an autopay form or to signup for autopay on our website.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post

Steve how do you configure credit card autopay over the phone? Are you just taking verbal authorization, and saving the information you are given over the phone?

We were instructed not to save credit card numbers given to us over the phone by our company attorney, to require them to sign an autopay form or to signup for autopay on our website.
          Yes I'm going against best practices here I'm sure. I would prefer they do autopay via the web site and go that route whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post

Yes I'm going against best practices here I'm sure. I would prefer they do autopay via the web site and go that route whenever possible.
            Has this bite you in the rear at all yet? I have so many customers that call me every month, I know their voice as soon as I hear them say hello.

Half the time I say to myself why not just save it, and save myself the hassle. I'm surprised I haven't given into to temptation like you likely have.

Comment

I've been working for some time to make a database in excel that keeps the best track of our blacklist + leads for the month. It's helped us out a pretty decent amount, as it automatically calculates our KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) that we previously weren't tracking at all such as conversion rate, Referral tracking (How many of your tenants are actually referring friends or family?) Delinquincy/Risk score, and Google Reviews tracker.

With one sheet, multiple facilities can sync up using OneDrive to see if their lead has already visited a facility, if they are blacklisted, and which facilities/Client Managers are asking their tenants for Google Reviews which, as we all know, are crucial to being found on search engines, and will become Exponentially more important as we move into an era of voice searches.

After all, Alexa + Google Home won't recommend a business they believe is too new, poorly run, or sketchy!

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post

Has this bite you in the rear at all yet? I have so many customers that call me every month, I know their voice as soon as I hear them say hello.

Half the time I say to myself why not just save it, and save myself the hassle. I'm surprised I haven't given into to temptation like you likely have.
                My only credit card dispute in five years is a woman that moved out without giving notice or contact of any kind, then disputed her last months rent and cleanout fee with the credit card company instead of even calling me. ( I billed her a small amount for leaving some junk in the unit that I had to throw out)

Credit card agreement or not, that would not have been worth the time to argue about, not to mention I really don't enforce my move out notice requirement nor go after people that move out within my grace period without paying. Leave the unit empty when you are done and I'm not going to get too excited about the last little bit of rent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                  Reply to Disaster In Iowa
                  by RandyL
                  Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
                  Today, 01:46 AM
                • Clarkstoragellc
                  Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                  by Clarkstoragellc
                  Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                  Yesterday, 06:23 PM
                • Clarkstoragellc
                  Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                  by Clarkstoragellc
                  Customer Considerations:
                  CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                  Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                Working...
                X