Advice on LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on LED

An expert on LED lighting shares insight on the benefits to upgrading as well as options.

Have you made the switch to LED? Share your story.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We did. The LED ones we got aren't very bright, but saved us about half on our electric bill. They also had a 15yr warranty and 4 have gone out so far and been replaced for free. Check with your utility provider to see if they offer rebates. Ours did and the entire $5000+ project cost us just $10, no typo.

Comment

Don't go through an LED broker-we did with my first facility and the lights we bought were brighter but we didn't save money in energy costs. You can buy led bulbs for current fluorescent fixtures now. Do that instead of replacing everything (unless your ballasts catch fire, then replace those fixtures)
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Yes that is an option as well. In our situation, the rebate was just about the entire cost of the project (only cost us $10 total). Then you factor in the energy savings (about $100/mo average). Then the cost of replacing bulbs (the fixtures dont have bulbs, but have a 15yr warranty). So $100/mo x 12 x 15yr = $18,000 in energy savings (not factoring in cost increases). Then no bulb replacement for 15 years on over 40 fixtures, assuming 1 bulb per year per fixture = $20 bulb x 40 fixtures x 1 time per year = $12,000 over 15 years. So $18k + $12k = $30,000 in savings in 15 years. Rough math, but a hugh savings when you take 15 years into account. Only downside is the new lights are not as bright, but we have not got much pushback and are full

Comment

Years ago Hubby and I were managing an older property (15 years ago it was already 10 years old). Did some price shopping for replacing the bulbs with the fixtures that were there (Like $90 per bulb) and found that the LED fixtures that would give off more light and last a whole lot longer were about $38.00 plus the labor to replace them. Well - hubby was my labor and was paid by the company to replace all of the light fixtures. The facility STILL looks great with these light fixtures and is very well lit - doesn't light up the neighborhood, but clearly lights up the aisles so the camera's catch all of the activity. Well worth the investment of $38 including the bulbs and the time.
          Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

I was an assistant when our LED project took place. I know there was a rebate from the utility company and the labor was provided by the manager at the time. It did involve replacement of the ballast - there was a shopping cart full of old ballasts in the golf cart shed. The tube replacement was a 4-ft T12 to the LED.

There were a lot of side benefits for the interior tube/ballast replacement. The heat load decreased in the cooled building with the removal of the old ballast and tubes. The LED functions at a much cooler temperature. Our hallway did not have the cages around the tubes or the plastic tubes over the T12's, so I was always sweeping up glass and broken tubes. The LED's have plastic tubes and it takes some force to break one.

There were some things that came up after the replacement. Initially, the replacement tubes were pretty expensive - they have since come down in price. The LED's did not work well with auto-shut off switches. You had to have them on or off, not set to auto. It was harder to match light color (K value) when first installed and you had to pair the tubes for color. Some manufacturers had better quality LED's than other's.

There was a concern when the price was higher for the LED's that tenants might steal them but that never happened.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
              Reply to Cost to build climate control units
              by Steve_hajewski
              Above examples is $55 per sq ft. Climate controlled single story will typically cost around 50 to 60 per sqft for eveything excluding land and grading issues other than simply stripping some topsoil and adding fill. Big variables can include level of insulation needed to meet your energy codes, and...
              Today, 06:48 AM
            • RandyL
              Reply to US Reaches 200,000 COVID-19 Deaths
              by RandyL
              I understand that from what I said in my post, I imagine the correction was more for other posters. Even those what Dr. Artandi said is right, my question remains about how many more deaths we will have for 2020.

Covid may have ended their lives early, but their underlying issues may...
              Yesterday, 11:37 PM
            • Storman
              If you can vote in CA, please vote NO on Prop 15
              by Storman
              This is the proposition that removes the protections of Prop 13 that capped annual property tax increases for both businesses and residences. You can be sure, that if they're able to overturn the Prop 13 protections for business, they'll be coming after those same protections for your house soon. Prop...
              Yesterday, 10:26 PM
            Working...
            X