PTI Keypads Displaying Not in Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTI Keypads Displaying Not in Service

Hey everyone was hoping someone else has come across this issue before. Intermittently all of my keypads are loosing communication. When this happens it displays a message that says keypads are not in service.

According to my logs it is happening off and on. I submitted a support ticket after hours on Wednesday this week, and have still not heard anything from PTI.

Anyone have any steps to correct this that I can look into? It happens to all keypads at the same time.

I had a couple of keypads dropping communication every few seconds for a couple of days before I could get a local service guy out to my facility. He eventually traced the problem to a broken wire in a below ground vault outside my office. My guess would be that you've got a wiring issue somewhere if it's intermittent, my guy didn't spend one second on the computer or software side of things, he went directly to the hardware side and started tracing wires from the affected keypads back to the Falcon base on my desk.

Have you had any rain, extra hot days, mice, any work going on around wiring paths? In my case, nothing had happened to precipitate it, the wire had just been damp enough over the last 20+ years to finally rust through and intermittently touch. We stripped the wire back and made good connections with a number of wires in the vault, then I cut off the whole end of a squeeze tube of clear silicone caulk and we pushed all the wire connections into the opened end of the caulk and made sure they were completely submerged in caulk and let it dry. Back into the vault for another 20+ years (I hope).

If it's happening to all of your keypads at the same time, then I would think that would narrow down the problem to wherever the wires consolidate to come into your PTI controller. My issue was only on 2 of my 7 keypads, so we had to find the wires that served that particular mux box.

The tech that I had come out agreed that the PTI tech support program is a joke.
    Last edited by Storman; 21 September 2020, 01:36 AM.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Storman We had a major disaster last month. My entrance keypad is brand new, it wasn't working as a result of the storm. The exit keypad hadn't malfunctioned at all.

I remember your PTI thread about your recent issues. I am thinking that since my issues is happening to all keypads at the exact same time, that the problem is in the controller possibly.

PTI told me they don't repair broken parts any more, does anyone know a place I can send stuff into to be refurbished? In the event that I have to purchase another controller.

Comment

Robert May be able to help?

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
          Storman We had a major disaster last month. My entrance keypad is brand new, it wasn't working as a result of the storm. The exit keypad hadn't malfunctioned at all.

I remember your PTI thread about your recent issues. I am thinking that since my issues is happening to all keypads at the exact same time, that the problem is in the controller possibly.

PTI told me they don't repair broken parts any more, does anyone know a place I can send stuff into to be refurbished? In the event that I have to purchase another controller.

I'd say that from the description that it's most likely the RS485 data connection from the controller to your first keypad, assuming that you have the "chain" starting at your XT controller and then running from device to device. Look for a loose connection first. Since you just replaced your entrance keypad, that'd be the first place I'd check to make sure all of the wires are in the plug correctly. Even after many years of working with those plugs I still have the occasional one come loose after tightening down the screws on the connector.

Robert Toy
          PTI Security Systems (A division of HID Global)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

I'd say that from the description that it's most likely the RS485 data connection from the controller to your first keypad, assuming that you have the "chain" starting at your XT controller and then running from device to device. Look for a loose connection first. Since you just replaced your entrance keypad, that'd be the first place I'd check to make sure all of the wires are in the plug correctly. Even after many years of working with those plugs I still have the occasional one come loose after tightening down the screws on the connector.

Robert Toy
            I just unplugged the old one and plugged the current one's into the new keypad. Should I take a screw driver and loosen each post and redo it? Or just make sure they are firmly on the board?

Comment

I just unplugged the old one and plugged the current one's into the new keypad. Should I take a screw driver and loosen each post and redo it? Or just make sure they are firmly on the board?
              Even unplugging the old one and plugging it back in can make the wires come loose in the connector, especially if you have 2 wires in each terminal. They can also come loose when you are stuffing the wires back into the enclosure to remount the keypad. They're tricky devils.

Robert Toy

Comment

Robert has a point, my tech did the same thing. He double checked every connection on the blue blocks at the bottom of the keypads. Just last week I had a keypad completely go dead. I opened it up and everything looked fine. After checking the blue block connections, I found that the ground wire to the power block had come loose. Amazingly, this is on one of the keypads that the tech had gone through when finding my broken wire situation just last month..

They are tricky devils.
                In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

Even unplugging the old one and plugging it back in can make the wires come loose in the connector, especially if you have 2 wires in each terminal. They can also come loose when you are stuffing the wires back into the enclosure to remount the keypad. They're tricky devils.

Robert Toy
                  I checked it out that that doesn't seem to be the problem. Each keypad has their own wiring and they meet up in my little office out there. Those wires all appear secure as well.

Comment

I checked it out that that doesn't seem to be the problem. Each keypad has their own wiring and they meet up in my little office out there. Those wires all appear secure as well.
                    OK, troubleshooting from here will get trickier. It always is with intermittent problems. How long does the problem last when it manifests itself? A minute? Hours?

Robert Toy

Comment

Can I send you a log file of the last several days to demonstrate this? I was say that the comms stay off about 15 minutes then come back about 15 minutes. This might happen a dozen times, then according to log file it may work for 12 hours again, and then go through a cycle of on and off every 15 minutes for a little while.

Comment

I re did all the connections at the controller and it has seemed to have stopped for at least the last few days. Lets hope it keeps going. Strange that the problem was in my office out there and not the keypads.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X