PTI site builder + dedicated machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTI site builder + dedicated machine

Our PTi/Sitelink setup dates back from 2000 and uses a dedicated PC to show the site map on a TV monitor for the purposes of showing rented units, alarms, etc... It gets the data from a RS232 to serial port adaptor which comes from the "main" computer that is connected to PTI and displays it through an external video card via S-video.

So, that dedicated PC has died. What are people using as substitutes today? Can something like a small machine (shuttle PC) that runs windows be utilized? How about a Raspberry Pi? I am assuming the RS232 connection will have to be retained including Windows (might have to upgrade to Win7 or 10).

We have an actual site map framed and hung on the wall in our office, for reference. Hopefully a more tech-y person can help tho.

Comment

Originally posted by fastsvo View Post
      Our PTi/Sitelink setup dates back from 2000 and uses a dedicated PC to show the site map on a TV monitor for the purposes of showing rented units, alarms, etc... It gets the data from a RS232 to serial port adaptor which comes from the "main" computer that is connected to PTI and displays it through an external video card via S-video.

So, that dedicated PC has died. What are people using as substitutes today? Can something like a small machine (shuttle PC) that runs windows be utilized? How about a Raspberry Pi? I am assuming the RS232 connection will have to be retained including Windows (might have to upgrade to Win7 or 10).

Hi. From the age of your site, I would say that you are running the 2D graphics and not the new 3D. In that event, just about any new machine you get will run the software. Either win7 (If you can still get it) or Win10 is fine. (No Raspberry PI's)

However, you are probably NOT going to be able to find a stock machine with an RS232 port built in. Either you would have to special order it with an RS-232 port, or you will need to switch to an RS-485 to USB adapter to connect to the 2 wires that run to your XT Controller that has your site data.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Robert Toy
      PTI Security Systems - A Division of HID Global

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

Hi. From the age of your site, I would say that you are running the 2D graphics and not the new 3D. In that event, just about any new machine you get will run the software. Either win7 (If you can still get it) or Win10 is fine. (No Raspberry PI's)

However, you are probably NOT going to be able to find a stock machine with an RS232 port built in. Either you would have to special order it with an RS-232 port, or you will need to switch to an RS-485 to USB adapter to connect to the 2 wires that run to your XT Controller that has your site data.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Robert Toy
        Thanks for your reply!

I might have misspoken on the RS232, it sounds like it could be an RS-485, but its using a "Falcon Graphics Serial Interface Adapter" from PTI. I can still find some machines with the serial port and I am assuming getting the USB adapter to work is not an issue?

Going forward, without replacing the existing Falcon setup, are there any "updates" I can perform or add new features while I am at it?

As a note, I did find an old manual online which helps better understand this old system:
        http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/238522...sion_4.2.0.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I might have misspoken on the RS232, it sounds like it could be an RS-485, but its using a "Falcon Graphics Serial Interface Adapter" from PTI. I can still find some machines with the serial port and I am assuming getting the USB adapter to work is not an issue?

Going forward, without replacing the existing Falcon setup, are there any "updates" I can perform or add new features while I am at it?

As a note, I did find an old manual online which helps better understand this old system:
          http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/238522...sion_4.2.0.pdf

If the adapter you have has 9 holes in it where it plugs into the PC, it's an RS232 adapter.

You could potentially upgrade to the 3D graphics, which will work just fine with your existing XT. It would require a bit stronger PC and you have to make sure your graphics card can handle it. It would also require that your site plan be redrawn using the new 3D editor and the cost involved with that. You can ask our salespeople for more specifics.

Robert Toy

Comment

If the adapter you have has 9 holes in it where it plugs into the PC, it's an RS232 adapter.

You could potentially upgrade to the 3D graphics, which will work just fine with your existing XT. It would require a bit stronger PC and you have to make sure your graphics card can handle it. It would also require that your site plan be redrawn using the new 3D editor and the cost involved with that. You can ask our salespeople for more specifics.

Robert Toy
            Upon reading that link to PTI manual, does a more modern version of the pager xlite feature exist today?

Comment

Upon reading that link to PTI manual, does a more modern version of the pager xlite feature exist today?

All of the pager functions, except for the sending of messages to other users, would be covered by the StorLogix Mobile application for iOS or Android.

Robert Toy

Comment

All of the pager functions, except for the sending of messages to other users, would be covered by the StorLogix Mobile application for iOS or Android.

Robert Toy
                Thank you. Unfortunately, it won't work with my Falcon 2000 setup.

Comment

Thank you. Unfortunately, it won't work with my Falcon 2000 setup.
                  Yes, that's correct. You would have to have an XT and StorLogix Desktop or Cloud software. You can swap out the Falcon base unit and keep your existing keypads and wiring though.

Robert Toy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X