Changing Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Software

When I purchased my storage business in 2018 we just went with the Web Self Storage software that was already in place by the previous owners and I hate it. I've been dragging my feet on changing software because I'll have to contact all my tenants and get their credit card info. but after having yet another issue I'm planning on switching over in the new year. I have 242 units and self manage. Anyone have any recommendations for software to look at?

Hey there StorageBrett - thanks for sharing on here. Most (if not all) software companies can likely help you with converting your credit card information for your tenants to a different processing option without interrupting or having to contact every tenant. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 4 December 2020, 05:15 PM.
    Rodney Vernon
    DOMICO Software
    [email protected]

Comment

Note to vendors: Please DO NOT promote your product or ask SST members to contact you. This violates our site rules and will be deleted. Members who are operators can and are encouraged to share their experience with their management software.
      Amy Campbell
      Editor
      Inside Self-Storage
      [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

As Rodney said, some software providers can do a "vault transfer" of your tokenized credit cards from the processor so you don't have to contact each and every tenant all over again. If that's not a possibility with the provider you choose though, you can always send out an email from your management software letting them know that they'll have to contact you with updated card information.

As for recommendations for software, I would make a list of everything that you might want in a software (online rentals, online payments, compatibility with Google Pay and Apple Pay for contactless payments, websites, etc.) and then find out which providers meet your minimum criteria.

From there, try out all of them to find out which one work the best with your operating style and seems natural to you. What works best for another person might seem completely counter-intuitive to you so it's important to get a feel for them since management software is a long-term decision.

There was an article published in Inside Self Storage magazine written by an amazing and somewhat dashing gentleman that could give you further details as well: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/so...ement-software

Lastly, I would check the rates and features with their payments processors they use as well. The difference that you'll be paying overall with software is one thing, but combining the cost of software AND payments is usually a really big difference.

Good luck!
        Last edited by Kevin SC; 4 December 2020, 06:15 PM.
        Kevin Kerr
        Storage Commander Cloud Software
        k[email protected]
        Toll Free: 877.672.6257
        Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

We use Easy Storage Software. It all works and we also use their gate access controller. It has some idiosyncratic quirks but what’s really remarkable is their technical assistance. They answer the phone!
          Kathe Kirkbride
          https://www.bitterrootsalesandstorage.com
          Victor, MT 59875
          406-360-0959

Comment

Originally posted by rvernon View Post
            Hey there StorageBrett - thanks for sharing on here. Most (if not all) software companies can likely help you with converting your credit card information for your tenants to a different processing option without interrupting or having to contact every tenant. Best of luck to you!
            I had to do a double take on your post. I thought it said dominion software as in dominion voting machines. I thought there is no way I would let dominion software do anything with credit card info. Then I saw it said domico software. I was relieved. Lol

Comment

QuikStor.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                Note to vendors: Please DO NOT promote your product or ask SST members to contact you. This violates our site rules and will be deleted. Members who are operators can and are encouraged to share their experience with their management software.
                Can members ask vendors to contact them? I remember a thread from long ago that talked about the same issues (software) and have no idea where it is now.

BTW, I'm not looking now but with some luck I will be within the new year

Comment

Great info here. I'm reaching out to these two vendors. Thanks for info.

Comment

I'm a small facility owner of 400 units, and when it was time for me to make a change many years ago I interviewed a number of providers in person at the ISS show in Las Vegas. I found the guys at Storage Commander to be the most responsive to my needs and the most affordable for the features they offer. As Kevin mentioned above, pay attention to the processing fees too. I know that some software companies are requiring you to use a specific processor or they won't support credit card processing, and those processors may not be priced competitively.

Now, many years later Storage Commander is still looking out for me and my business and is responsive to my needs. They contacted me a few months ago with a processor that saves me about $300 a month. They handled the changeover to the new processor and addressed any issues that came up.

Also, determine whether or not you want to be in the Storable universe or not. I want nothing to do with Storable (owned and operated by the guys that developed Sparefoot). I don't believe aggregators like Sparefoot have the best interest of private storage operators anywhere on their radar. Storable has purchased a few storage technology companies recently and seem to be increasing their influence.
                    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                      I'm a small facility owner of 400 units, and
                      Also, determine whether or not you want to be in the Storable universe or not. I want nothing to do with Storable (owned and operated by the guys that developed Sparefoot). I don't believe aggregators like Sparefoot have the best interest of private storage operators anywhere on their radar. Storable has purchased a few storage technology companies recently and seem to be increasing their influence.
                      Increasing influence and DECREASING customer service.
                      "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
                      WA state

Comment

Grizz Yes, members can ask vendors to contact them through a private message.
                        Amy Campbell
                        Editor
                        Inside Self-Storage
                        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

We use and love QuikStor...Sponsor to the right on this page.
                          Joe Krezdorn
                          DAK Self Storage
                          Leesport, PA 19533
                          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

As mentioned above, I would avoid anything owned by Storable. So far this includes sitelink and storedge to my knowledge. Sitelink has gone downhill since purchased by Storable and I can only assume they will make some of the same decisions for storedge.

Comment

We have been very happy with Syrasoft Storage Manager. Their tech support is good and the available features makes it very customizable for fees, taxes, letters, late events, etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X