Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had an attempt on my storage truck's catalytic converters Sat a.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had an attempt on my storage truck's catalytic converters Sat a.m.

1:22 am and I heard a very loud noise outside my window and knew immediately what was happening. I grabbed my phone, dialed the PD and went for the balcony. Sure enough, a couple of dirtbags parked next to my Isuzu NPR storage truck and one guy underneath it with a battery operated sawzall. I knew that they were going to be out of there in less than 30 seconds, so rather than wait for the PD to come minutes after the fact, I yelled "COPS ARE ON THEIR WAY!". The guy jumped up, said "sorry" to me and quickly drove off.

If your area hasn't been hit with this scourge of converter thefts, you're next.

The NPR trucks have 2 converters on them, and will fetch $500 or more on the black market. The cost to replace each one is over $1000, and the muffler guy I talked to said they were backordered 4 months. Luckily I caught this guy after only making one cut, so the muffler shop could easily weld the cut back together.

I had the muffler guy weld a stainless cable around the cats and through the frame, and also had weld a steel rod to the muffler pipe on each side of the cats. Now the bad guys will have to spend a lot more time cutting through the steel rod, cables and the pipe. The thieve's job went from a 30 second procedure to a few minutes, all very loud. I can't make it impossible, but I can slow them down.

If you're not aware, catalytic converters have palladium and platinum in them, which is what they're after. Prius vehicles are especially desirable, as they too have 2 cats and more of the precious metals in theirs. As I waited for the muffler guy to get to my truck, he was working on an E-250 Ford van that had it's cat cut out too. I talked to neighbors up and down the street, 5 other cars had their cats removed that night.

I know many of us have trucks parked outside our gates overnight, this is something you should be aware of. You might want to be proactive and get your cats secured or caged, much cheaper than replacement.

(save the comments about a gun, or an electrified truck, or some manner of slow and painful death. It's just a thing, I'm not going to jail for producing a weapon or booby-trapping the truck)

Last edited by Storman; 5 April 2021, 07:05 PM.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

I'll leave this here and keep my comments to myself...

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/man-trying-steal-catalytic-converter-california-crushed-death-by-car/DGANBMJUERBKLNGOOEEW4QHKTQ/
    Last edited by Storman; 5 April 2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

It's a HUGE problem here right now. I'm right down the freeway from where that incident happened. In fact it's in the city where my maintenance worker lives.
      MamaDuke

Comment

It's a huge problem in the Seattle area and it's suburbs as well. So far, so good for our facility but I'm sure it's a matter of time some dirtbag tries it.
        Our pointy fence will make it slightly harder but there is no fool proof method to prevent it here-the local police suggest getting the VIN engraved on the converter as an extra step in addition to straps.
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        WA state

Comment

I'm not sure what's worse, the degenerates stealing them or the sleazebags that are buying them from the degenerates.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
            the local police suggest getting the VIN engraved on the converter as an extra step in addition to straps.
            Yeah, the whole VIN thing is just a waste of time. The d-bags would just crack them open and take out the precious metals, the VIN on the outside would mean absolutely nothing. They'll say that it's for when they bust the guys and find a bunch of converters, they can return yours to you. That's a laugh 1) they're not going to find a bunch, 2)are you going to not replace the stolen one and have no car to drive hoping that they return yours? 3) if they do return it and you've already got a replacement, are you going to sell it to the same guys the d-bags are selling to so you can recoup your money?

There is no legal market for these, even the PD sends them to the crusher to be destroyed when they do stumble on stolen converters.

There's a guy on YouTube telling you that you should paint them bright orange so the buyer will know it's stolen. Idiotic. As if he doesn't already know every one of them is stolen. All this does is help the thief see where it is.

Comment

This was happening about 5 years ago at our Houston area location with the UHaul trucks. The person living on-site at the time never heard it and was only discovered when a rental came to pick up and the truck was sooo loud. They realized all of the trucks had their catalytic converters cut off. It's a shame really. Nothing will stop them. Not even painting the converters or engraving them. Most of the places that buy them do not care where they came from.

Comment

This has been going on for years but not at this level. The precious metals prices went up and with more homeless out there, the market has boomed.

Comment

If you dont stand up for what's right than the bad guys will win, as they're winning now.

Comment

"(save the comments about a gun, or an electrified truck, or some manner of slow and painful death. It's just a thing, I'm not going to jail for producing a weapon or booby-trapping the truck)"

If no one stands up to these thieves, they are gone by the time the cops get there, then when will it all stop? NEVER! You pick and choose when you stand up for your rights, the rights will be gone by then. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who thinks just picking and choosing when to "draw a line in the sand" is going to accomplish a safer feeling when you go about your day and night, might as well just cave in now and give up. I choose not to give up. I have a right to defend myself and my property and will damn well do it. I can still land a punch with the best of them and so many times is more pleasant to see the bloody nose than to see fear in their eyes from a gun pointed at them. I have never ever wanted to shoot someone or have shot someone. As I have said, I will walk away and get away from the conflict if I can but I will not sacrifice my safety or the safety of what I worked hard for and paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                      " As I have said, I will walk away and get away from the conflict if I can but I will not sacrifice my safety or the safety of what I worked hard for and paid for.
                      This sentence makes no sense, at least in terms of my situation, if that's what you're referring to. At no point in time was my safety threatened, and I don't believe an object can feel unsafe. So there's nothing about safety here. If you want to go to battle over your stuff, that's up to you.

I'm in CA, how do you think I would be treated had I physically attacked these punks and caused them harm? What are the odds they DO have a weapon and are not as reluctant to use it as you or I would be? What if I armed myself first in case they were armed and the situation escalated and I ended up shooting someone or being shot myself OVER A PIECE OF METAL? Who's the smart guy in any of those situations? Never mind that I MAY have had (or do have) some sort of right to do something that caused harm to someone, but do so over a piece of metal on a truck is foolishness.

I stopped them in the middle of their thievery with my voice, from 50' away from them. It cost me very little to have the situation corrected. My life is exponentially better than theirs is if they've turned to crime to make ends meet. I get the last laugh no matter how much it cost me.

Trust me, I'm no shrinking violet. I have no problem standing my ground when warranted, and if the safety of me or my family is in jeopardy you can bet I'll bring the thunder and lightning before someone else will. But this is a piece of metal we're talking about here. I'm not going to be arrested, possibly go to jail, have a record, then get sued for damages because I'm a "rich guy" over a piece of metal. The legal system is not currently designed to protect me.

Bluster all you'd like, but I live in the real world.

(funny that you thought that comment I added in parentheses in my original post was aimed at you....because it was!)

Comment

Storman I'm sorry you had such a rude awakening. I'll tell you what; just hearing your voice I'd book it outta there fast. Now if they saw your tall, muscular stance from afar that would have scared them off too. I'm glad it was a simple fix for you. Too bad you didn't have a chance to refer them to the various colored door places near you. Giggle.
                        Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

haha, thanks Gina6k, it's been a long time since I've had a tall, muscular stance. Now I have a 'big and tall' stance!

Comment

**scrolls back up to see what was in parentheses**

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

This sentence makes no sense, at least in terms of my situation, if that's what you're referring to. At no point in time was my safety threatened, and I don't believe an object can feel unsafe. So there's nothing about safety here. If you want to go to battle over your stuff, that's up to you.

I'm in CA, how do you think I would be treated had I physically attacked these punks and caused them harm? What are the odds they DO have a weapon and are not as reluctant to use it as you or I would be? What if I armed myself first in case they were armed and the situation escalated and I ended up shooting someone or being shot myself OVER A PIECE OF METAL? Who's the smart guy in any of those situations? Never mind that I MAY have had (or do have) some sort of right to do something that caused harm to someone, but do so over a piece of metal on a truck is foolishness.

I stopped them in the middle of their thievery with my voice, from 50' away from them. It cost me very little to have the situation corrected. My life is exponentially better than theirs is if they've turned to crime to make ends meet. I get the last laugh no matter how much it cost me.

Trust me, I'm no shrinking violet. I have no problem standing my ground when warranted, and if the safety of me or my family is in jeopardy you can bet I'll bring the thunder and lightning before someone else will. But this is a piece of metal we're talking about here. I'm not going to be arrested, possibly go to jail, have a record, then get sued for damages because I'm a "rich guy" over a piece of metal. The legal system is not currently designed to protect me.

Bluster all you'd like, but I live in the real world.

(funny that you thought that comment I added in parentheses in my original post was aimed at you....because it was!)

What you dont understand is its the BAD GUYS choice to risk his life when he try's to take what is NOT HIS and he DID NOT EARN. He/they make that choice and I respond in a way to protect my property that I worked for and earned.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X