Latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latches

Over the last 3 months or so, the crime in our city, especially towards storage facilities has skyrocketed. Before I had a break-in maybe once a year. Then it started about 3 months ago, becoming more frequent. We have 3 facilities and each month, I began having break-ins every month at each facility. Now it's increasing even more to nearly once a week! We have excellent security cameras that I actively monitor. I regularly visit the facilities. Not only are these punks cutting the fence constantly, if there is a disc lock on a unit, they've been cutting our latches...like destroying them.

We've looked into different types of latches as a solution but I can't seem to find one that is burglary proof. We've considered switching to the bezel latches, we've looked into the chinarose latch, and I've looked into the Janus latch. We've even researched the Noke latch! But without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to upgrade to the most break-in proof one (in our opinion is the NoKe), we haven't had very much luck.

Does anyone else have the issue of latches being cut? If so, what kind of latches do you use? If you don't have this issue, what kind of latch are you using that deters this behavior?

**SIDENOTE: Our PD does nothing to back us up. We give them video, photos, ID the criminals for them, hand them their ID and it still isn't good enough. We are told there is nothing they can do because the thieves aren't caught in the act.
    Rachelle Day
    Office Manager
    Twice the Space, LLC
    Las Cruces, NM

Originally posted by twicethespace View Post

**SIDENOTE: Our PD does nothing to back us up. We give them video, photos, ID the criminals for them, hand them their ID and it still isn't good enough. We are told there is nothing they can do because the thieves aren't caught in the act.
    So, essentially 99.9% of all crime is not enforceable because they aren't caught in the act?!?!?!? WTH???
    MamaDuke

Comment

Have you guys looked into changing out the fence? Chain link is obviously not deterring these people.

Comment

Cylinder locks may work for you to fix the problem, I believe their locking mechanism requires the cylinder be removed.

My properties have gone through different phases of crime activity. Specially before I had improved camera coverage.

Have you talked to any of the other local storage companies that might be having similar problems? Share names, vehicle information, videos with each other.

In the past I have had an issue where people that were breaking into other facilities were actually renting at my facility to store all their stolen goods.

I have a great relationship with the local PD and Sheriff's office, I end up doing most of the video review for them. I upload footage to google drive, and then I email links directly to the detectives that investigate the crimes. No more giving thumb drives to patrol officers and never seeing them again.

You are right that they do need to be caught in the act, unless you find the items in that were stolen in their possession. Instruct your tenants to look for their property for sale on Facebook Market Place or Craigslist.

Unfortunately if you want these people caught, you need to do a lot of the work you would expect the police or the detectives to do. Another helpful thing I have, is the person who installed my cameras is a small family run business. I recommended him to other facility owners, and he has installed systems for them. So he is in tune to the problems multiple facilities are having, and can help direct me to the proper facility to call.

Good luck finding a solution to your problem.

Comment

Someone on here used a metal fence (cattle fencing? not sure) reinforcement for their chainlink.
          https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...QaArg8EALw_wcB
          Honestly can't believe the lackadaisical attitude from the police.
          "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
          Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
          WA state

Comment

With regular latches they cut the latch and break in You replace the latch Say you have 10 break ins they cut 10 latches You install cy latches and cut the break ins down to 1 or 2 They use a crow bar to break in and then you replace the whole door. We have both types less break ins with cy latches but more repair cost.. 10 latches or 1 door Sad part of a great business

Comment

There are 3 things I think you should do before replacing latches. Make sure you have motion sensitive/BRIGHT lights, reinforce the weak spots on your fence area, and hire temporarily a security firm to patrol after hours. Also, order some blue signs with white text-(SMILE< You're on camera!)
              Just a manager's prospective.
              WA state

Comment

I would have to go straight to the Police Chief and The Mayor.
                You have the proof!
                Not that you want the bad press but maybe consider going to the local news!
                Citizens would be outraged if they were aware of what was happening in their own neighborhoods!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Hmm, we've had people attempt to remove the latches to get around disc locks, but they've never been successful. One facility I worked at had thick metal bar (with holes cut out for the latch bolts to go through) on the inside of the door that went between the door and the nuts to give the latch extra strength. I'm not sure if they came with the latches (this was back in the 90s when they were installed) or were an add-on.

The police response makes ZERO sense. I'd ask them what they'd do if a bank was robbed then. So unless the police are there when it's robbed, they're just going to let the bank robbers go free in spite of any video or other evidence? I don't think so. There's no difference in your case. Surely there must be some miscommunication there. Never heard such rubbish in my life. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like a police department just begging for lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

So, essentially 99.9% of all crime is not enforceable because they aren't caught in the act?!?!?!? WTH???
                    Exactly my thoughts! It angered me so much to know that it doesn't matter what fence we put up, how good our cameras are, if we know who did it because our PD really doesn't care. The crime here has gotten out of control and they do nothing about it. And the Justice system doesn't help. They arrest these people then let them out over and over and over again, not even on a bond, on their word they will show up to court.
                    Rachelle Day
                    Office Manager
                    Twice the Space, LLC
                    Las Cruces, NM

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post
                      Hmm, we've had people attempt to remove the latches to get around disc locks, but they've never been successful. One facility I worked at had thick metal bar (with holes cut out for the latch bolts to go through) on the inside of the door that went between the door and the nuts to give the latch extra strength. I'm not sure if they came with the latches (this was back in the 90s when they were installed) or were an add-on.

The police response makes ZERO sense. I'd ask them what they'd do if a bank was robbed then. So unless the police are there when it's robbed, they're just going to let the bank robbers go free in spite of any video or other evidence? I don't think so. There's no difference in your case. Surely there must be some miscommunication there. Never heard such rubbish in my life. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like a police department just begging for lawsuits.
                      Unfortunately the PD is riddled with lawsuits all the time for various reasons. Slam dunk court cases are dismissed against criminals because someone somewhere along the line, messes up. When I call to file police reports, I'm told to stop wasting their precious time, I can file a report online because they will never catch the people that did it. We have a law that states the pawn shops must report every item they take in on pawn or purchase to the PD within 24 hours. Then when crimes are committed and items stolen, PD is supposed to enter those items into the database and search against items taken in at pawn shops. Do you think we ever hear of anything being recovered? Nope.
                      Rachelle Day
                      Office Manager
                      Twice the Space, LLC
                      Las Cruces, NM

Comment

When I call to file police reports, I'm told to stop wasting their precious time, I can file a report online because they will never catch the people that did it.
                        That's because they're apparently too lazy to get off their butts to investigate. Self-fulfilling prophecy. If I was told by the police department to stop reporting breaking and entering, I'd go straight to the local news. That is unacceptable.

Comment

I would want to go to the local news too!
                          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Unfortunately the PD is riddled with lawsuits all the time for various reasons. Slam dunk court cases are dismissed against criminals because someone somewhere along the line, messes up. When I call to file police reports, I'm told to stop wasting their precious time, I can file a report online because they will never catch the people that did it. We have a law that states the pawn shops must report every item they take in on pawn or purchase to the PD within 24 hours. Then when crimes are committed and items stolen, PD is supposed to enter those items into the database and search against items taken in at pawn shops. Do you think we ever hear of anything being recovered? Nope.
                            Wow, that's sincerely tragic.
                            WA state

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X