Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locks and Keys

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Locks and Keys

    Inspired by this thread about a tenant who says her unit was breached though the lock was intact. What's your lock situation? Do you keep a copy of tenant keys, a "master" key?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

    @AmyCampbell_ISS
    480.281.6091

  • #2
    Most of my drive-up units have electronic doors that operate with a key. I have to keep one of those for each door so that there is a backup if they ever lose theirs or we need emergency access.

    Otherwise, we have maybe 10 that we have keys on file for, and we have liability waivers for those.
    MamaDuke

    Comment


    • #3
      We do not. We have an authorization to hold keys if a tenant wants us to hold one..even then, we only have about 5 on file.

      Comment


      • #4
        We do not hold any tenant's keys.

        There is a tenant who gets deliveries to his unit and he uses a word code lock.
        I have the word and he has signed the hold harmless agreement to allow me to open the door if he gets a delivery and can't be here.

        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

        Comment


        • #5
          No master key, but we do hold keys (along with the required paperwork) for our businesses deliveries. No one on the 2nd floor though-has to be a ground floor unit.
          "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
          Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
          WA state

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
            No master key, but we do hold keys (along with the required paperwork) for our businesses deliveries. No one on the 2nd floor though-has to be a ground floor unit.
            Just curious as to why you would only hold keys for ground floor units?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SimplySpace View Post

              Just curious as to why you would only hold keys for ground floor units?
              Because having to send UPS/Fedex upstairs is a problem timewise for the delivery guys. If everything is ground floor, they're in and out and on their way.
              "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
              Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
              WA state

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

                Because having to send UPS/Fedex upstairs is a problem timewise for the delivery guys. If everything is ground floor, they're in and out and on their way.
                That's what I figured. Just wasn't sure if there was anything else.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Never in 35 years have I held a key nor wanted to. Too much liability.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Too much liability, but for deliveries that UPS or FED EX makes for a few commercial units. they have a combo lock, and I have paperwork on file, I do not want anyone's keys!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SBAZ View Post
                      Too much liability, but for deliveries that UPS or FED EX makes for a few commercial units. they have a combo lock, and I have paperwork on file, I do not want anyone's keys!
                      A combo lock would be a good idea too.
                      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                      WA state

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We furnish a cylinder lock to every customer. There are 3 keys that come with the lock. We offer to hold 1 key in case they lose their 2. We also require they sign a waiver that we are hold a key in a locked box behind a locked door, pretty much everyone has done this. The few that don’t are made aware if they lose all 3 keys and the lock needs to be drilled out it’s a minimum of $60 plus they have to buy a new lock at $15. If the other customers lose there 2 keys then all they have to pay is the $15 for a new lock with 3 keys. Been doing it for almost 3 years and have had no issues.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We have a sticky key situation...

                          We have older units with swing doors that are susceptible to breakage in wind storms and have to be re-welded once broken.
                          So we issue the customer one key ($20 key deposit), we keep one key on file in case we have to access the unit to re-weld a broken door.

                          I would rather not hold keys so they don't call me when they forgot theirs... speaking of, what do you do when a customer locks themselves out of their unit? Do you cut their lock or do they?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We haven’t dealt with someone losing their key, but if they did there’s no way I’d let them cut their own lock off, we charge I believe $30 to cut it off. If they tried to cut their own with a grinder or even bolt cutters they could damage the latch system.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                              Inspired by this thread about a tenant who says her unit was breached though the lock was intact. What's your lock situation? Do you keep a copy of tenant keys, a "master" key?
                              No, we don’t keep any keys and I don’t take deliveries for anyone. I don’t want the liability or demand on me to always be there to receive deliveries.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X