Gate Access Hours - Tenant Locked in facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate Access Hours - Tenant Locked in facility

After switching from 24 hr access to 5am-11pm a few months ago, it finally happened. A tenant did not read the Rental Agreement, or the sign on the keypad, or the sign on the gate. And went into the facility just before 11pm. And at 12:30am, they could not get out.
    What has anyone done to prevent this from happening?

Get with your gate people.
    The gate should have a way to allow any tenant to get out of the gate even if after visiting hours!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We've segued to letting tenants out after hours, but charge them $50 on the spot.
      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
      Always sunny in California

Comment

Hi, Tim (helenatim). Just wanted to chime in, save you a potential call to Support, and offer you an option to consider. But first, we're sorry that you had an unpleasant wakeup last night and that this happened.

When we designed Access Control, we spoke to dozens of operators who indicated that they preferred a tenant call them after-hours if they were locked in the facility. Their reasoning was that they wanted to know why they were at the facility and didn’t want to encourage tenants to come and go after hours. With gate controls, operators could remotely open, close, and hold gates open which is how operators currently address this issue as quickly as possible.

Having said that, we recognize this solution isn’t ideal for all operators. In the event a tenant happens to be at your facility after-hours, here is a way in which you can ensure they can exit the facility without placing a call to your office, etc.
        • Set your exit keypads to 24-hour access. Within Access Control, you can specifically set your exit keypads to 24-hour access which means tenants would only be able to come in at the times you’ve specified, however, if they so happen to still be inside the facility, they’ll be able to exit at any time.
        We hope this helps. As always, we're here to walk you through anything with Storable Access Control for SiteLink and are interested to hear your feedback. Thank you for being a valued customer. ~Amy C.

Comment

Originally posted by storable-support View Post
          Hi, Tim (helenatim). Just wanted to chime in, save you a potential call to Support, and offer you an option to consider. But first, we're sorry that you had an unpleasant wakeup last night and that this happened.

When we designed Access Control, we spoke to dozens of operators who indicated that they preferred a tenant call them after-hours if they were locked in the facility. Their reasoning was that they wanted to know why they were at the facility and didn’t want to encourage tenants to come and go after hours. With gate controls, operators could remotely open, close, and hold gates open which is how operators currently address this issue as quickly as possible.

Having said that, we recognize this solution isn’t ideal for all operators. In the event a tenant happens to be at your facility after-hours, here is a way in which you can ensure they can exit the facility without placing a call to your office, etc.
          • Set your exit keypads to 24-hour access. Within Access Control, you can specifically set your exit keypads to 24-hour access which means tenants would only be able to come in at the times you’ve specified, however, if they so happen to still be inside the facility, they’ll be able to exit at any time.
          We hope this helps. As always, we're here to walk you through anything with Storable Access Control for SiteLink and are interested to hear your feedback. Thank you for being a valued customer. ~Amy C.
          Thanks Amy. This is definitely not an issue with Storable Access and I definitely don't want to go back to 24 hour access! I allow a one hour delay on the Exit keypad to let people out and that has done the job so far.
          In this instance, my tenant called the Sheriff and a Deputy came out and used his police password to get her out.
          I have also set my phone to allow Repeat Caller to override the Do Not Disturb feature.

Comment

Our access hours are 6am-9pm. The exit keypads are set to 24 hours as Amy mentioned. I don't want the risk of someone being inside the gates and unable to exit in an emergency.
            In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
              Our access hours are 6am-9pm. The exit keypads are set to 24 hours as Amy mentioned. I don't want the risk of someone being inside the gates and unable to exit in an emergency.
              This is exactly how we are set up. The night we first installed our current gate system, the setup wasn't done and this was missed, and we had someone locked in overnight. He never called anyone for help because he was homeless anyway and didn't care. He slept in the bushes.

That setting was fixed ASAP the next morning!
              MamaDuke

Comment

It is an ordinance here, they must be be able to exit at anytime. And I have my number on all exit card pads, they may call or text. I look it up on the cameras and let them out.

Comment

I have my number on the keypads for them to call. I do have a 30 minute grace period after gate hours, but I don't tell tenants that. It's very seldom I get a call, however, every few months I send out a blast email (especially around holidays when we'll be closed) with the gate hours and advising there is a number on the keypad. If a tenant does this twice, I charge them. When I do get a call, I make sure to tell them about the charge if it happens again, then I go into the StorLogix app and let them out. Before I took over this property, people were having to call the police dept to let them out and it was happening often! I'd rather them contact me, like Storable said, so I can discuss everything with them. I don't do 24 hours exit just because some places do and I've heard of people jumping the gate in order to gain entrance after hours from the exit keypad. I also stress the gate hours and they initial the addendum, at sign-up.

Comment

(I am in Tucson, no police will come for that )

Comment

Thank you all. Great feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
                        I don't do 24 hours exit just because some places do and I've heard of people jumping the gate in order to gain entrance after hours from the exit keypad.
                        More proof that all of our facilities are operated differently. I live onsite and have individual door alarms. If someone were to jump over a fence and attempt to open a unit, it sounds like a jailbreak around here. The exit keypad will not disable their door alarm. If they want to jump the fence, walk around and then leave, I guess I'm OK with that. The next morning I'll see that a code was used to exit the gate, watch them on the recorded video and make a phone call...

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                          We have that too, the issue becomes when they tailgate in and then try to get out after hours.

Comment

Love the visual of a "jailbreak"

Comment

Originally posted by T_Champeau View Post

We have that too, the issue becomes when they tailgate in and then try to get out after hours.
                              Why is that an issue if your exit keypads are 24 hours? My setup allows any code in the system to let someone exit anytime. Does yours require an entrance code before it will allow the same exit code to let them out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X