Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempted break-in 1:30am this morning, check your gate.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted break-in 1:30am this morning, check your gate.....

Just happens my wife got up at 1:30 to use the bathroom, looked out the window and saw someone at our gate. She flipped on the additional flood lights, which woke me up and I asked her what she was looking at. She said "there's someone trying to get in the gate". I jumped up and went to the window and saw a guy getting back into his car and watched him drive off. Wasn't a car I recognized, he didn't get in, so I assumed it was someone that didn't realize we don't have 24 hour access.

This morning, I checked the gate logs and there were not code attempts overnight. So, the guy didn't even try a code. Weird, but the world is full of weirdos.

Just now, my wife was on a walk and noticed something amiss on the gate. The guy had removed the fire department "knox box" and I'm certain was preparing to touch the two wires together, causing the gate to open as if the fire department had used their key. My wife turning on the flood lights spooked him off. If had been successful getting in, the individual doors are alarmed so we would have known about it, but this is a new tactic. 35 years with knox boxes and this is a first.

This is what it used to look like (from another gate) and this is what it looks like now. Touching the orange wires together opens the gate. I'll be retrofitting all the other knox boxes with one way screws.

Check your stuff.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Thieves become more creative every day.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Way to go M! She blinded that sucker at just the right moment. Sorry about the situation, but knowledge is power and I just got a little more powerful from reading your post. I never thought about that being a weak spot except for a disgruntled fire person who had a knox box key.
      Gina 6k
      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
      [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Her bladder is the real hero here.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Hmmmmmm did not know that about the Knox boxes, but now I do, thank you. Luckily we have the Knox box flush into the cement wall so there is no easy way to get at it, if at all.

If they were to use their powers for good instead of evil what a great world this would be!
          The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
            Hmmmmmm did not know that about the Knox boxes, but now I do, thank you. Luckily we have the Knox box flush into the cement wall so there is no easy way to get at it, if at all.

If they were to use their powers for good instead of evil what a great world this would be!
            RIGHT? I say this all of the time.
            "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
            Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
            Always sunny in California

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X