Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you prepared for a pandemic? CDC says be prepared.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are you prepared for a pandemic? CDC says be prepared.

    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

    Info from the CDC website earlier today. I don’t know that anyone needs to go to the extreme, but we all should be prepared to exist and shelter in place for a couple of weeks if things go bad. The more prepared and self sufficient we each are, the better off we will be. They are seeing evidence that the virus can live on hard surfaces for up to nine days. So this has the potential to be life altering for many. So how are you currently prepared for any disaster? Any suggestions for us all? Do you foresee any changes to your daily operations?

    The link is dated 2019, but was updated today.
    Last edited by Gina6k; 25th February 2020, 06:03 PM.
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]



    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

  • #2
    Yikes-my son made sure I had an emergency kit for a 2 week period, I haven't looked at it for a couple of months but I guess I should poke through it.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

    WA State

    Comment


    • #3
      I sent my management company a query on what the procedure was, just as a precaution. I'm pretty sure we can forward the company phone and I can probably access Quikstor from my home computer, just in case.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

      WA State

      Comment


      • #4
        After reading Gina's post I'm also going to be more vigilant about my golf cart reconnaissance missions, and make sure people aren't bringing in food to store in their unit.

        I've had a couple of elderly folks pass away and have found their units jammed with food, which is strictly prohibited. My guess is they were raised by families that went through the great depression and determined that they would never be that hungry again.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
          I sent my management company a query on what the procedure was, just as a precaution. I'm pretty sure we can forward the company phone and I can probably access Quikstor from my home computer, just in case.
          I'm not sure what the procedure is for operating from home- if that's even possible with our software?They can log in from the home office but I suspect that's because they have the program on their system. I would love to know what they tell you on this. As for being at work if a crisis happens,we have an emergency kit ( its a office file box) that should contain flashlights, batteries for flashlight,non perishable food stuffs (canned soup,etc.) water, a landline phone, first aid kit. A copy of everyone phone numbers, and gloves, face masks,a battery operated radio with extra batteries... Id have to go poke through it to remember it all. And I always keep an extra phone charger pack with a charger base, pillow and blanket in my car just in case I get stuck here like I almost did during the last snow event.
          Last edited by wc1974; 25th February 2020, 07:18 PM.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

            I'm not sure what the procedure is for operating from home- if that's even possible with our software?They can log in from the home office but I suspect that's because they have the program on their system. I would love to know what they tell you on this. As for being at work if a crisis happens,we have an emergency kit ( its a office file box) that should contain flashlights, batteries for flashlight,non perishable food stuffs (canned soup,etc.) water, a landline phone, first aid kit. A copy of everyone phone numbers, and gloves, face masks,a battery operated radio with extra batteries... Id have to go poke through it to remember it all. And I always keep an extra phone charger pack with a charger base, pillow and blanket in my car just in case I get stuck here like I almost did during the last snow event.
            Yeah, I have the box-we had to replace the lantern bc it didn't work. I charged the phone charger and poked through everything else.
            I used to be able to get into Sitelink through my home computer, that's why I asked about QS. Pillow/blanket is a good idea though.
            I wouldn't want to be stuck here, I have a dog that needs actual care and stuff.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

            WA State

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Storman View Post
              After reading Gina's post I'm also going to be more vigilant about my golf cart reconnaissance missions, and make sure people aren't bringing in food to store in their unit.

              I've had a couple of elderly folks pass away and have found their units jammed with food, which is strictly prohibited. My guess is they were raised by families that went through the great depression and determined that they would never be that hungry again.
              When my mom passed she had enough food to live off of for 2 years, canned and frozen. Her and my pop were depression babies, so you're probably right on the money.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

              WA State

              Comment


              • #8
                I wold go into "hurricane prep" mode, only with more emphasis on food (and coffee) and toiletry items and less on a power outage situation. Since I live on-site, I can still work. However, in-person contact would not happen. I'd close the office to all foot traffic and only take payments over the phone. Those who only pay in cash would be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and I'd consider waiving late fees during this time as well. Those that insist on paying by check would also have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. While they can always use the payment drop-box, I'd have to figure out a way to handle them and deal with them after the payment's been posted. New rentals would have to be put on hold for the time being. We don't do online rentals here, and the few times I tried to be accommodating with doing one over the phone, they've all been a disaster so, nope. The only exception to that rule would be for an existing tenant.
                I would think the other businesses around me would close as well, as they all deal directly with the public on a daily basis. That would also be better for me...the less people in my immediate surroundings, the better. Especially since I still have to go outside to walk my dog, which also potentially exposes her to it.
                Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is definitely something to consider. Thanks for the insights, I will be emailing management about this to see if we have any sort of plan in place.

                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I emailed my management company and they're already working on this, so yay! Apparently I'm psychic...
                    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

                    WA State

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was going to but then I though, nope I'll wait and see if they say something since yesterday we were getting conflicting accounts in the media. President Trump said there was nothing to worry about it is under control, and then the CDC said be prepared its coming and it will cause major disruptions.
                      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                        I was going to but then I though, nope I'll wait and see if they say something since yesterday we were getting conflicting accounts in the media. President Trump said there was nothing to worry about it is under control, and then the CDC said be prepared its coming and it will cause major disruptions.
                        Until the President gets his medical degree I'll be more inclined to listen to the CDC.
                        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

                        WA State

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

                          Until the President gets his medical degree I'll be more inclined to listen to the CDC.
                          I imagine he gets his information from more qualified individuals as all presidents past have done. But, I agree that its better to be safe then sorry. Our church is looking at having to cancel their missions trip because they have to fly into Singapore with a 1 day delay, then onto Nepal. After that they will be in Vietnam, Cambodia. So far there havent been any cases in those areas except for Singapore. That could derail the whole trip. If I were them I would cancel it.
                          Last edited by wc1974; 26th February 2020, 01:11 PM.
                          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So, we received our marching orders. As of now it's for day to day prevention, nothing about if we, God forbid, had to close. It's unlikely we'll get to that point, though when the swine flu swept through we closed all of our area schools and most businesses in our South Carolina town, so not outside the realm of possibility.
                            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

                            WA State

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Last edited by NCstorageguru; 27th February 2020, 11:45 AM.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X