COVID-19 Infections Rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19 Infections Rising

Well, my state did it. Arizona is suffering from the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. An article on CNN lays out some scary stats:

The first reported case came on January 21. Within 99 days, 1 million Americans became infected. It took just 43 days after that to reach 2 million cases. And 28 days later, the U.S. reached 3 million cases of the novel coronavirus Wednesday.

How's your state doing?

Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Florida is still doing bad.
    Our office is still on lockdown & U-Haul closed.
    Many people in this state are taking it lightly & still think it's "just a flu."

Comment

We're open in WA state, and it's required to wear a mask out, if that doesn't help (our infections are up as well) I can bet we're going to go backwards in our 'steps' and lock down again.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

NJ is doing okay, I guess.
        Our Governor just mandated us to wear our masks outside!!!
        Our office is open and one person in the office at a time and you must wear a mask!
        I am renting U Haul, mostly with the 24/7 app, some inside the office
        We also bought a sneeze guard for my counter!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

They are up because we are doing more testing. I think its been here for many months but because we were only testing those with symptoms the numbers stayed low until we started doing mass testing. The good news is that the death rates remain lower than they were at the beginning, so survival rate is higher. Also it has come to light in WA state, not sure about other states that the numbers have been mis-reported for a few months now, due to counting 1 person who gets tested 3-4 times as 3 or 4 cases.So our numbers briefly went down by over a 1,000 in one day at the end of June to correct that. It is so confusing because each state has its own way of counting. Are they counting tests or people? Are they counting cases that are positive but asymptomatic or just symptomatic? Why aren't they reporting on the number of deaths decreasing? I believe we should be careful, wear the mask if and when you can, keep your distance when possible, wash your dang hands! At some point we will realize the need to only quarantine the sick or those susceptible and let society re-open. We wont last if we go backwards on this. Its dying either way. Either you get sick and die, get sick and recover, or don't get sick- but you end up losing your job because the owners have to sell or close, or if you own your business because no one can afford to shop because they are all out of work, your house because you cant pay the mortgage- and you can bet the moratorium on rent relief is only going to last so long before the banks so no more,and finally all of your savings. We cant have it both ways for much longer or we will break, economically, mentally and physically.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Our county was great until they relaxed the SIP orders, cases doubled in less than a week.
            Gina 6k
            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
            VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
            [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
            I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Myrtle Beach, SC here...and doing terrible. Our local hospitals have asked the National Guard to send in medical personnel, our numbers are going through the roof. And no one is wearing a mask despite a county-wide ordinance that masks must be worn anyplace except home. We are partying like it's 1999 here on the coast of SC. Meanwhile we have our doors locked (since Mid-March) with a huge sign up that says "Office access is restricted to employees only, please call 843-xxx-xxxx for immediate service" You can see the sign and read it plainly from the parking lot.

This week 32 people have pulled up and gotten out of their car, walked up to the door, ignored the sign 6 inches in front of their nose and yanked on the door. All 32 had no mask on despite the county ordinance, two had a mask in hand just in case. Two were carrying portable oxygen generators under their arms and were in the 80+ crowd, and one was also 80+ and in a wheelchair...his family brought him over to get a unit because he is going in assisted living...no masks on anyone.

I rented a unit this morning to an older man, no mask, yanking on the front door and coughing for all he is worth. Finally got him to read the sign through excessive pointing, he went back to his car, called, and rented the unit over the phone. I put the lock he purchased in his unit before he got there.

You can't get tested here unless you have symptoms...and there is a 7-10 day lead time to get results if you do get a test.

And our governor was just on TV crying over the negative press coverage our tourism industry is getting around the country because of tourists going home and finding out they were infected here. Not worried about the locals being infected, just the tourist industry ($$$). People are working here til they drop that are infected, because they have no paid sick days and no health insurance to even go to a doctor with. And some of the employers are telling them if they don't come to work, they will be fired.
              Last edited by Lisa T; 10 July 2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                Our county was great until they relaxed the SIP orders, cases doubled in less than a week.
                After all the protests, what a shock
                --
                Ron

http://n6ach.com
                http://laws.n6ach.com
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa T View Post
                  ...And our governor was just on TV crying over the negative press coverage our tourism industry is getting around the country because of tourists going home and finding out they were infected here. Not worried about the locals being infected, just the tourist industry ($$$). People are working here til they drop that are infected, because they have no paid sick days and no health insurance to even go to a doctor with. And some of the employers are telling them if they don't come to work, they will be fired.
                  Somebody has to wear the red shirt
                  Attached Files
                  --
                  Ron

http://n6ach.com
                  http://laws.n6ach.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa T View Post
                    People are working here til they drop that are infected, because they have no paid sick days ... And some of the employers are telling them if they don't come to work, they will be fired.
                    That's illegal. They have rights under the FFCRA. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...yee-paid-leave
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by ams View Post

After all the protests, what a shock
                      We didn't have any protests here, it's all government incompetence and human refusal to follow any safety precautions whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

That's illegal. They have rights under the FFCRA. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...yee-paid-leave
                        This is South Carolina, you don't have rights in these deep south states.

One of the big resorts chains here has 30 infected workers, 22 of them are still working...half of all the infections in our state have happened in the last 2 weeks, and that's with a week or longer backlog in processing tests...so basically that means most of our infections have happened 2-3 weeks ago and no one knows what's happened in the last week. And there are 2 major fast food chains who have infected workers at every one of their stores and have been threatened with their jobs...I have relatives working at two of their restaurants.

BofA closed down 3 branches here yesterday, and all the rest went to drive-thru only, so at least they are shutting down where they have infected workers and trying to protect the rest....but food/bar workers and hotel workers make up over 80% of our infected residents. They can't even get tested if they have worked alongside infected people unless they have symptoms. It feels like I'm one of the few sane people trapped inside an insane asylum here.

Oh and next week is the County Fair, and also Harley Bike Week! Another 500,000 tourists pouring into town every week.
                        Last edited by Lisa T; 10 July 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Wow Lisa T Sounds awful. Similar stuff going on in AZ. The restaurants are open (now only at half capacity), but gyms, pools, theaters and churches have been told to close. Our governor didn't have the nerve to make masks mandatory. He left it up to the city mayors, who stepped up. AZ never followed the opening plan and we're paying for it now.
                          Amy Campbell
                          Editor
                          Inside Self-Storage
                          [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                            Wow Lisa T Sounds awful. Similar stuff going on in AZ. The restaurants are open (now only at half capacity), but gyms, pools, theaters and churches have been told to close. Our governor didn't have the nerve to make masks mandatory. He left it up to the city mayors, who stepped up. AZ never followed the opening plan and we're paying for it now.
                            Everything is open here, no statewide mask ordinance, but local cities are putting them in, no one is enforcing the mask requirement and most people are just ignoring it. The only thing we have done, and that starts TONIGHT, is no alcohol is to be sold at bars after 11 pm. That's it....Now you can still drink in a bar after 11 pm, you just have to pay for what you are drinking before 11 pm. The was the governor's big concession to the virus....he still wants schools to open Aug 17, but the local school boards are putting their foot's down...so we'll see how that battle goes. Meanwhile in Florida, they have over 7,000 school age children currently infected. Like I said, insanity.

Comment

I'm in Nevada,still waiting to open my facility due to Corana/shutdowns,(original date was to be 4/15/20).Friday midnight bars that do not serve food will close and end counter service,restaurants will stop serving groups of 6+.We've had a mask mandate since 6/24/20.I see people that aren't complying and I still run across people that think Covid 19 is made up?I for one take it very seriously,and I don't know how it's going to be once we open.
                              I realize the economy is suffering,but what economy will there be,if everyone is sick or dead,I just hope that resuming business as it used to be is not rushed,as this is very serious.(I know of someone that was put on a respirator due to Covid 19).Nothing will ever be the same as before Covid 19.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                                Today, 06:23 PM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Customer Considerations:
                                CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                                Today, 06:22 PM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Parking info:
                                Surface, Canopy, Enclosed.

Just talking Surface.

Have run the numbers about 10 times on Enclosed, but I would have to charge $225 to $350 per month and don't have that market here. Have only seen one location on the interstate near Oklahoma City that had...
                                Today, 06:19 PM
                              Working...
                              X