Uhaul is overbooked and under supplied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhaul is overbooked and under supplied

My husband works at a facility that does a LOT of U-Haul rentals. We are talking $4 to $6K a month in bonuses to the owner, of which we get half. He has been getting nasty comments from angry customers because U-Haul is accepting reservations for trucks they dont have available. As of yesterday they were short 200 trucks for this area for the next month. It seems people are leaving the state in droves, doing one way trips, leaving the dealers here without trucks. Not enough people moving to WA to make up for it. This is frustrating to me because it isn't his fault they are overbooking yet he is having to put up with the angry customers for something Uhaul is causing. This also affects us financially because we lose money on all the rentals we are losing due to this issue, because once all the truck leave how do they plan on getting them back in circulation in this area? Does anyone here work for Uhaul that can explain why this is happening and what are their plans to alleviate the burden on the facilities who contract with them for these rentals? We have a pretty good AFM right now, and she is doing her best to stay on top of things but I feel for her, it's pretty overwhelming.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Want worse? Try budget trucks.. it isn't even something "new" for them to be out and overbook as it was the same in FL in 2014 as it is here in CA now. We cancel more reservations than we rent due to lack of trucks. One of our sites is a heavy hitter for them, im talking single weeks of 20k in commission and thats with canceling half the reservations.. if they had the equipment I could only imagine.

Comment

I am in NJ and I too rent U haul trucks!
      This happens every year!
      It is not just you!
      I am unable to reserve ANYTHING these last few days.
      Truck and trailers!
      Nothing
      Bubkus!
      My best piece of advise is if you are able to complete a reservation, just send it directly to traffic, let them deal with it!
      I stopped answering all out of state phone calls today, I Know they all want something from U Haul!
      good luck and happy renting!
      Have you ever gone to the U haul forums?
      They have a tom of information over there!
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
        Want worse? Try budget trucks.. it isn't even something "new" for them to be out and overbook as it was the same in FL in 2014 as it is here in CA now. We cancel more reservations than we rent due to lack of trucks. One of our sites is a heavy hitter for them, im talking single weeks of 20k in commission and thats with canceling half the reservations.. if they had the equipment I could only imagine.
        Yowza, that's a lot. I'm glad its not just us, but still!
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
          Have you ever gone to the U haul forums?
          They have a tom of information over there!

Yes, have him go to the dealer boards.
          There are a lot of folks that are very helpful there.

Comment

The only thing you can do is check the reservations hourly and send them directly to traffic. Call the person and tell them you don't have a truck for them before it gets to angry rants. You can't magically make a truck appear.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Wonder if there's a market for a service that'd bring a truck from a location that has an oversupply?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Wonder if there's a market for a service that'd bring a truck from a location that has an oversupply?
                Possibly. I spoke with my husband to see if any progress had been made in getting trucks returned. Basically Uhauls strategy is to send their AFM's and several employees in a van to a location with excess trucks and they each drive one back to the stores that need them. Not sure how they get home at that point. Maybe they have a shuttle or something? The AFM for this area says it a pain to take time out of an already busy day to do that. So if you could figure out a way to move trucks around for them it probably would be something they would consider. Im sure you would have to be licensed, bonded, insured.The only drawback is that its not all the time, usually just in the summer to early fall months ( atleast that has been our experience this year, but we are way up here on a Peninsula in the Pacific Northwest) Its possible other parts of the country experience the shortages more often.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

Possibly. I spoke with my husband to see if any progress had been made in getting trucks returned. Basically Uhauls strategy is to send their AFM's and several employees in a van to a location with excess trucks and they each drive one back to the stores that need them. Not sure how they get home at that point. Maybe they have a shuttle or something? The AFM for this area says it a pain to take time out of an already busy day to do that. So if you could figure out a way to move trucks around for them it probably would be something they would consider. Im sure you would have to be licensed, bonded, insured.The only drawback is that its not all the time, usually just in the summer to early fall months ( atleast that has been our experience this year, but we are way up here on a Peninsula in the Pacific Northwest) Its possible other parts of the country experience the shortages more often.
                  We did in North Carolina-it was feast or famine. We had plenty, or almost none, or none of the right size.
                  Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                    Reply to Disaster In Iowa
                    by RandyL
                    Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
                    Today, 01:46 AM
                  • Clarkstoragellc
                    Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                    by Clarkstoragellc
                    Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                    Yesterday, 06:23 PM
                  • Clarkstoragellc
                    Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                    by Clarkstoragellc
                    Customer Considerations:
                    CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                    Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                  Working...
                  X