No Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Contract

This customer has no contract to one of the big units, but she has a small unit. She put her thonhs on a big unit and thought it was both at the same time, but I called her and told her she do esn't he a d to the unit we found her name on some things on,the items. We called her. But in the mean time my manager cut her lock off and put our own lockn
    Last edited by tammantha1; 4 November 2014, 08:36 PM.

Re: No Contract

Not at all here but the other facility I was at for 2 years, we had about 5 people that would just throw there stuff in an empty unit if it did not fit in the one they had. I did my lock checks every day and would lock them out of the 2nd unit with my lock and lock out their unit when I found out who it was by watching cameras and gate logs. They would say, "How could you lock me out? I am current." I just shook my head and said, "really, you gotta ask." Has anyone ever caught someone sleeping in a unit?
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

This customer has a contract, that says two units. THE OFFICE MANAGER I HAD IN CHARGE SAYS oSHE DOESNT HAVE A CONTRACT. HE SAYS SHE ONLY HAS ONE. THE PAPER SAYS TW NW OFFICE MANAGER HAS CUT OFF HER LOCK AND PUT OURS ON. AND NOW DEMAND PAYMENTS FOR MONTHS WORTH. I WAS ON VACATION, CAME V

Comment

I do know if a customer doesnt have a contract, I WONDERING WHY DIDNT HE PUT HER BELONGING OUT AT THE END OF THE STREET. A STORAGE UNIT BUSINESS CANNOT PUT A LOCK ON A UNUI AND DONT HAVE A CONTRACT. NO CONTRACT NO CLAIM. HE SHOULD HAVE PUT HER THINGS OUT. YES I FIRED MY MANAGER, BUT NOW CUSTOMER IS THREATEN TO SUE BECAUSE HER THINHS ARE LOCK BYE FORCE, AND SHES BEEN PAYING BYE FORCE. I DONT HAVE TIME FOR SMART REMARKS.BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SITUATION IF THEY HAD ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE

Comment

I don't think putting a customer's belongings out at the street is the answer. It is hard to follow your story but if the customer has a contract for 2 units and has been paying for one unit then that customer owes money. What do you mean she has been paying by force? Where was a smart remark given? Signatures and number of contracts and payment history should be the key to figuring this out. May not have been the manager's fault and maybe should not have been fired till you know everything that will help with the final decision. Take a deep breath and get to the bottom of the problem.

Comment

Hello and Good Morning. I am going,to talk to attorney. The manger,was,fired,because, he,cannot take money for two units, then after, a certain time say Oh your only paying for one unit the whole time, then cut off her lock put on another lock, then tell her to pay. He knew that other unit was nit covered, wait until a certain time for money to be built up, then tell the customer Oh you owe money for a unit that's not covered. Yes he should have sent her a certified letter, and tell her to come and get her things because the unit is not covered. If she doesn't come, then yes her belongings will be taken out of the unit. She does not owe money on a unit that she has no contract, and no lease agreement and no signature. Thats why he was fired. An office manger does not make this mistake and then cuts off a lock and tell the customer either you pay or we sell, WHEN ITS HIS MISTAKE. He has been taking money for two units then tell my customer Oh guess what you owe money on another unit. Yes I fired him. Her contract says 62, and 64. He onlg took money for one unit not two. Now I am in the middle to fix this mess. Its the law, No Contract No lease, no storage nusiness has claim on a person property. Has,no claim what so ever.
            Last edited by tammantha1; 5 November 2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I said smart remark, I apologize, but to me its not a joke,I am in a situation tjat needs to be taken care of. Because its a civil matter, I have no claim what so ever on her property, without a contract or,lease or and theres nothing with her name on anything toshow shes, libel. Now any one,please make,any suggestions before I talk with an attorney. Because I think I am going to need one, the custoner treating to sue.

Comment

With this much more detail now some of the blank spots are filled in. If your office manager had been doing as you say for a period of time and knew he/she was wrong, then yes, maybe a new job is in need. The customer should have never been allowed to store items without a contract, period. The fact that it seems some money was taken for a second unit now puts the ball in your court. I would approach the customer and ask them to sign a contract for the second unit and at least pay for partial rent to catch up. If not then they will get an attorney, unless it is their bluff, and it will cost you likely more in legal fees than what you would give up in uncollected rent. If they sign a new contract then maybe just start the rent collection from the new contract date. If no contract then keep it locked, send a certified letter for a 30 day vacate notice to remove belongings from the unpaid/no contract unit and if still does not remove then depending on your state statutes, sell the belongings. But from this point forward you need all ducks in a row with state statutes and documentation.

Comment

The simple solution here is forget all the attorneys...have the customer come in, sign a lease on the 2nd unit, and start the rent with the new lease. Trying to collect old rent with no lease, or throwing her things out on the street when she has another paid unit is not the best course of action. She obviously wants to store with you, and you could have two units rented with her. It's better to be nice to customers who want to store with you and are willing to pay you if you do things correctly. If I was in your shoes, I would just start fresh with her on the 2nd unit and forget throwing her out or calling a lawyer.

Comment

I am not 100% certain of what is going on here, the original poster, tammantha1 has him or herself in quite the pickle.

If this were me and I was the owner of the property the 1st thing I would do is take a deep breath.

If this tenant does have a signed contract and it does in fact state that they rent 2 units and the unit numbers are correct, then the owner must do everything in their power to correct this mistake.

Wouldn't it just make that much more sense to chalk it up to some sort of loss, financially?
                    This tenant has an opportunity to slam you, legally and verbally trash your facilities name in the neighborhood.

I would think that as an educated owner your 1st order of business would be to see what kind of an arrangement could be met between you and the tenant.

Owning a storage business, the owner/operator must tread very lightly in this matter.

Your manager was wrong and for this reason, you did terminate his employment.
                    I would think you would want to keep this tenant happy and mostly, bend over backwards to make good on what this manager has done.
                    You stand to lose so much more than a few months worth of rent.
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                      " Has anyone ever caught someone sleeping in a unit?

I have!
                      Years ago!
                      He had his little cat with him too!
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I can't even follow half these posts, rewrite so I can understand it please.

Looks to me like you got a big problem, seems like someone was asleep at the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tammantha1 View Post
                          I do know if a customer doesnt have a contract, I WONDERING WHY DIDNT HE PUT HER BELONGING OUT AT THE END OF THE STREET. A STORAGE UNIT BUSINESS CANNOT PUT A LOCK ON A UNUI AND DONT HAVE A CONTRACT. NO CONTRACT NO CLAIM. HE SHOULD HAVE PUT HER THINGS OUT. YES I FIRED MY MANAGER, BUT NOW CUSTOMER IS THREATEN TO SUE BECAUSE HER THINHS ARE LOCK BYE FORCE, AND SHES BEEN PAYING BYE FORCE. I DONT HAVE TIME FOR SMART REMARKS.BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SITUATION IF THEY HAD ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE
                          if I'm reading this correctly, and its hard mind you, you fired the manager and wanted them to throw the customers stuff to the street?
                          I would simply have overlocked it and then figured out who it belongs to.
                          Why would you just throw someones stuff out, apparently they had SOME CONTACT with YOUR EMPLOYEES at some time, or did they just walk in off the street and put stuff in a locker (I highly doubt it). Looks like you have alot of issues at your place.
                          Where are you located, that might help me understand the barrier here.

Comment

Great advice pacnwstorage. Tammantha1 contact the customer, tell her you have alleviated the situation and you're sorry for the stress this employee caused to her. Let her know you're willing to sign a new contract for both units (individually so you will do two contracts) with her to protect her rights to her items (you're being the good "guy" and helping her out) and tell her you will monitor her accounts from here forward. Waive all the "past due" rent and move forward. It's the nicest way to turn a bad situation into a win for both sides. Sure you will lose some rent but assume that's the cost of doing business with an office manager who didn't do things right. That's not your customer's fault. You can still salvage this situation, move forward, have a happier tenant and those two units still rented.

And never, ever put things out on the street! As you've seen, it could be a simple human error and you'd open yourself up to a major lawsuit. You were able to determine the owner this time and you will again if this ever happens. Follow your State's lien laws, period! Know your laws and follow them for a happier storage life.
                            Last edited by Gina6k; 5 November 2014, 12:26 PM.
                            Gina 6k
                            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                            VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                            [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                            I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                              Great advice pacnwstorage. Tammantha1 contact the customer, tell her you have alleviated the situation and you're sorry for the stress this employee caused to her. Let her know you're willing to sign a new contract for both units (individually so you will do two contracts) with her to protect her rights to her items (you're being the good "guy" and helping her out) and tell her you will monitor her accounts from here forward. Waive all the "past due" rent and move forward. It's the nicest way to turn a bad situation into a win for both sides. Sure you will lose some rent but assume that's the cost of doing business with an office manager who didn't do things right. That's not your customer's fault. You can still salvage this situation, move forward, have a happier tenant and those two units still rented.

And never, ever put things out on the street! As you've seen, it could be a simple human error and you'd open yourself up to a major lawsuit. You were able to determine the owner this time and you will again if this ever happens. Follow your State's lien laws, period! Know your laws and follow them for a happier storage life.

It just seems there should be a way to salvage this customer. Now, if she is off the wall and yelling and screaming and will not listen to any attempts to make her happy, then it may be time to fire the customer. But if she is open to some give back and open to staying with 2 contracts signed and being a good customer from here on out, then if she is happy we all know she will tell her friends of the good results and she can turn from an unhappy customer to free advertising. Sometimes we just have to give a little to get a little and who the he** wants any lawyer involved. They just gum up the works. tammantha1 asked several times for help and input, she now has it. Go forth and fix the problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MyStorageOps
                                Reply to StorSmart Tenant Insurance
                                by MyStorageOps
                                A lot has changed in the industry since the original 2013 post. We have been very please with StorSmart. My average penetration rate over all is 68%.

In the last couple of years Bader and StorSmart have essentially merged under the Storable platform. I have just recently brought on a new...
                                Today, 12:16 PM
                              • dakselfstorage
                                Reply to Venmo Payment
                                by dakselfstorage
                                It would be nice if the software providers could link the payments....
                                Today, 12:07 PM
                              • Amy_ISS
                                Venmo Payment
                                by Amy_ISS
                                A new facility in Montana is using Venmo to accept payments. If you're not familiar with Venmo, it's a mobile-payment service owned by PayPal. What do you think about this?
                                Today, 11:50 AM
                              Working...
                              X