New and need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and need help

I have been a manager for 4 months now and for the first time I have a situation with a customer that I am not sure how to handle. In October I had a gentleman come in and rent a unit. He gave me all of his info and the info for an Alternate contact. Well it is now almost January and I have only received the one prorated move in payment that he paid in October. I have called and called and mailed letters. I finally got a hold of the gentleman last Monday and he informed me that the unit his girl friends(who is listed as the alternate contact) and he has nothing to do with it and I needed to call her. I tried to explain to him that it is in his name so he is the one responsible for the payments and that he also signed a contract with us for the unit. He just told me I needed to contact her because he is not paying for it. I finally got a hold of the woman who was listed as the alternate contact and she said that she has never had storage at my facility or any facility for that matter and that she did not know anyone by the name of the gentleman that rented the unit. At this point I am super confused. This morning I called the gentleman and told him what was said and let him know that we really need to figure this out so things can be taken care of. He said no that she is going to pay for it and he would call her. I have no idea what to do at this point. I put a overlock on the unit on the 6th of December. I need some help on what to do next.

Re: New and need help

You are going to make sure you sent out all notices as required and advertise the auction and sell the belongings at auction and be done with them. I am sure your lease states the timeline and your state statutes do too and when you have met all the requirements then sell it and close the books on the unit and them and have a better less stressful day. Easy Peasy. This is just a sign of things to come with the public that stores things and has problems with their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife....etc. If you don't make all the money back at the auction you can send the balance to a collections agency, if the owner wants to, and like you said the original customer that signed the lease is financially responsible.

If this is your first time managing storage facilities, just wait till you get and hear all the excuses coming down the pike. Do a search of the threads related to this and have fun reading them and you can see what is coming. I think it is fun though. I hope you do too. You will love your job if you like the owner, like the facility and like the customers.
    Last edited by pacnwstorage; 30 December 2014, 12:37 PM.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thank you pacnwstorage!! I have sent out all the notices and have given the customer way over the time needed to respond. So I am going to start advertising the Auction and get the ball rolling. It has been fun so far. I have already heard some pretty hilarious excuses. My personal fav would have to be when I was told they could not pay the rent on the unit because well they got the money on the 29th and could not hold on to it until the first when the rent was due! It took all of me to keep a straight face while I was being told that!! I love this job so far and I have awesome owners. It is nice to finally have a job I like to do. Now if I could just get the Uhaul side completely figured out that would be awesome lol.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, I forgot to lead with that earlier, THWSELFSTORAGE. There is a few people here that can help you with the U-Haul dilemma. They are very knowledgeable. They know what they are talking about. I have heard the excuses of a family member dying and was out of town, but there is only so many times your father can die! As I said, go through some of the older Day to Day Operations and General Conversation threads and you can find a wealth of great info. I am very happy with my facility, here in Oregon, and I have especially enjoyed all the great people here on this forum. I fell in to a gold mine here and love this place. Very nice people and lots of great knowledge. You will have fun here, trust me. Have a great day and by the way, where is your facility?

Comment

We are located in San Marcos, Texas

Comment

Between San Antonio and Austin on I-35. You need to go to the Newbie Lounge and tell everyone about yourself and the facility. That way we get to be nosey! LOL!

Comment

Yep you are correct.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X