Valet Boat / RV Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valet Boat / RV Storage

I am considering a valet service for boat and RV storage at my facility. I was wondering if there have been anyone else who is or has done the same. Your insight of Self Storage wisdom is appreciated.

Re: Valet Boat / RV Storage

A valet service eh???

Hmmm, you or an employee would be responsible for the parking of the HUGE vehicles?

No thank you but good luck to you!!!
    LOL
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
      A valet service eh???

Hmmm, you or an employee would be responsible for the parking of the HUGE vehicles?

No thank you but good luck to you!!!
      LOL
      I'm going to paraphrase something from a co-worker:

The three cardinal rules of developing self storage:
      1) I don't want to work too hard.
      2) I want it to make some money.
      3) I don't ever want to talk to a lawyer again.

This plan has a high potential to violate rule number 3.

Steve

Comment

Hi Flying Ranch,

Check out this ISS article. It features RV SuperStorage in Chandler, Ariz. I'm not sure if they do valet, but they do offer more services than the average boat/RV facility. I'm sure they'd be happy to speak with you. Keep us posted!
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I guess I should have included in my original post, that I come from a family Aviation business, where we have been responsible for customer's expensive aircraft. Since I have been moving airplanes in and out of hangars for the last 30 years, the thought of being responsible for the positioning of an RV or a boat isn't that scary to me. I know this is a specialty niche. I am thirsty to know who else out there does this and any pointers they might have. Thanks for any comments past and future.

Comment

Thanks Amy! I will definitely check into the article.

Comment

Hi Flying Sky Ranch, welcome to the forum. Here is a video of a locally owned (SF Bay Area) indoor RV place that does valet service. They also do RV repairs. I spoke with the owner half a year or so ago. It's in an industrial area, but they do pickup and park the vehicles themselves. It might be another resource for you in addition to the one Amy pointed you towards.
              Last edited by Gina6k; 14 July 2014, 05:18 PM.
              Gina 6k
              twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
              VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
              [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
              I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Gina.
                Amy Campbell
                Editor
                Inside Self-Storage
                [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Actually just found out someone else doing this. They're using tags for each item (rv, boat, trailer etc.) with their unit number on it that coincide with each of the units on Storage Commander. So basically the customer can just drop off the item, the facility will look up the tag to see where it goes and if there are any alerts (special instructions on how to drive it etc.) and just valet it back into the unit.
                  Kevin Kerr
                  Storage Commander Cloud Software
                  k[email protected]
                  Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                  Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

I see this as a huge potential. There are so many high end moho's out there and people just don't have the time to "prep"them. People are willing to pay for that luxury.
                    What if you offered a service that included:
                    batteries on a trickle charger, all batteries including generator batteries checked monthly and topped off.
                    turn on the fridge before you pick it up (rv fridges take some time to cool down) so they can load and go. grocery shopping service also.
                    top off the fuel tank, treat each tank with anti-gel or sta-bil for long term storage
                    top off the water tank with fresh water,
                    drain water tank when they come back from a trip
                    drain black and gray tanks.
                    cleaning service, detail service, drop it off and not worry about the mess the kids made while you were on vacation.
                    check tire pressure before pickup.
                    check fluids, offer oil change service,
                    the list goes on and on, most people that own those HI END diesel pushers etc will pay for that luxury.

I know of a crew in cali that pays a guy to go to the sand dunes with them, he is their on site mechanic, cook, detail guy, etc. gets paid for EVERY hour he is at the dunes, whether he's sleeping, working, wrenching or riding, and has a furnished sand car for him to drive, so if one of the employers cars breaks down, they take his "company ride" and leave the broken one for him to fix (within reason).
                    So lets say hes on a 4 day weekend, he gets paid for 96 hours at over 20 bucks an hour CASH, plus he gets to dune, eat for free, and do what he likes....working on cars.

same principle, people will pay for that service

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayStorage View Post

I know of a crew in cali that pays a guy to go to the sand dunes with them, he is their on site mechanic, cook, detail guy, etc. gets paid for EVERY hour he is at the dunes, whether he's sleeping, working, wrenching or riding, and has a furnished sand car for him to drive, so if one of the employers cars breaks down, they take his "company ride" and leave the broken one for him to fix (within reason).
                      So lets say hes on a 4 day weekend, he gets paid for 96 hours at over 20 bucks an hour CASH, plus he gets to dune, eat for free, and do what he likes....working on cars.

same principle, people will pay for that service
                      I think I'm changing positions now
                      Kevin Kerr
                      Storage Commander Cloud Software
                      k[email protected]
                      Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                      Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

What makes you think rich people will pay for that service. Have you done any surveys or market studies? I have actually worked at a property that the owners thought the same thing. It was not true at that property, it may be at yours. I wish you the best of luck, but its my own personal opinion that rich people don't want to pay more than anyone else, they just like to complain more. And as a personal opinion its worth what you paid for it, nothing.
                        "Bend, but don't bend over"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X