Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Someone Wrecks One of Your Moving Trucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Someone Wrecks One of Your Moving Trucks...

...what happens?

What insurance is in place? What expenses is the truck-renter liable for?
    John Carlisle
    Community Manager Emeritus
    Still a Big Fan of Self-Storage!
    www.chicagoprowriter.com

Re: If Someone Wrecks One of Your Moving Trucks...

I can speak concerning UHaul. Every renter is offered insurance on their truck or trailer rental. If they purchase the insurance, they have no liability. If they decline the insurance, they are responsible for the cost of the damage. UHaul will not negotiate with the customers insurance company, that is the renters problem. UHaul expects a check upon return of the damaged vehicle.
    Bob Taylor (Astro)
    Blue Ridge Self Storage
    Cashiers, NC

Disclaimer: What Gina said....'cause the the cheese fell of my cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by astro View Post
      I can speak concerning UHaul. Every renter is offered insurance on their truck or trailer rental. If they purchase the insurance, they have no liability. If they decline the insurance, they are responsible for the cost of the damage. UHaul will not negotiate with the customers insurance company, that is the renters problem. UHaul expects a check upon return of the damaged vehicle.
      LOL, It's not insurance...."It's a vialue-added" protection package. Uhaul hates us to use the term insurance as we're not insurance salesmen....Even though we call the SafeStor insurance an insurance package.
      Last edited by Ian M. Johnson; 27th May 2010, 02:00 PM. Reason: necessary heckling required a smiley
      Consistency- It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup

Comment

Ian, I like that, Value-Added Protection Package. That is unique. I had never heard that before.
        Bob Taylor (Astro)
        Blue Ridge Self Storage
        Cashiers, NC

Disclaimer: What Gina said....'cause the the cheese fell of my cracker.

Comment

It's in their Uhaul University course for safemove. It goes into the details of the program. You also may catch it thrown around a lot on their forums. I used to frequent them, but not so much anymore. LOL, another good thing with UHI is that at least your complaints get heard and more often than not, addressed.

I tend to like the Protection package phrase as it gets the customer to think about the deductible issue. With their insurance, if it covers it, they pay the deductable. With UHaul, that $14 is it (excluding overhead collision and negligent driving, and damage to the belongings has a $100 deductible, I think). With how many small damage issues I see per year, I'm sold on SafeMove. It really is a no-hassle solution for almost all the issues I see here. What's ironic is that most of the damage I see probably wasn't even done by the customer. Mirrors busted with no other damage...Things like that. I think it's sometimes done by customers who have had issues with uhaul in the past.

Customers who damage the truck without it tend to get REALLY mad when you tell them about the extra $150 they'll be out if they ever want to rent a Uhaul again. The customers who do get it like hearing the "Don't worry about it. We're cool, and hope you have a great day". And even in the system, I don't exactly have to worry about hearing complaints from Uhaul either. (In the case without insurance, you have to put customer in redflagged part of system. With it, they really are off the hook.)

Comment

I, unfortunately, scraped the side of of a U-Haul truck that I rented once. I had purchased the "Value-Added Protection Package", but they ended up making sure that my insurance paid for it before they did. My premium HIKED! I was so mad!

We take a $500 deposit for our company move-in truck, and I believe that is the costs of the deductable should something happen.
            The customer isn't always right, the trick is making them think they are!

Shannon

Comment

Originally posted by shaekirk View Post
              I, unfortunately, scraped the side of of a U-Haul truck that I rented once. I had purchased the "Value-Added Protection Package", but they ended up making sure that my insurance paid for it before they did. My premium HIKED! I was so mad!

We take a $500 deposit for our company move-in truck, and I believe that is the costs of the deductable should something happen.
              Did you rent from a dealer or a center?
              Last edited by Ian M. Johnson; 27th May 2010, 04:45 PM. Reason: fixed da quote

Comment

Originally posted by Ian M. Johnson View Post
                Did you rent from a dealer or a center?
                yup...sounds like someone got over on her...probably a dealer.

Comment

Esp when right on the tag we send 'em out with states in black and , well, green : "DAMAGE WAIVER PROTECTION - relives you of financial responsibility for damage to Uhaul equipment." I'm looking for anything else, but short of "You need to file an Equipment Damage Report for your protection against futher claims and so we can recover damage costs from responsible third party (parties)." I can't find anything saying her insurance would have been called in. Anything that would have caused an exclusion would have voided SaveMove all-together.

...But of course, I am a dealer....

Comment

It was an independant dealer, but the dude that I spoke with from UHAUL said that it was policy to make sure that the customer's (me) insurance had to be notified to see if they would pay the claim, before UHAUL's protection plan would cover the damage.

Did I get ROBBED?!?!?!?!?!? Cuz I'm serious...this happened in 2006, and my insurance premium went up about $500 for the year!
                    The customer isn't always right, the trick is making them think they are!

Shannon

Comment

I think you got robbed....here's a tip for you...if a dealer collects any damage money, they keep 35% of it to go in their pocket...so it behooves them to find all the damages they can....I would never have paid anything or reported to my insurance if I got the Safemove protection, and we always do get it....otherwise..why did you pay for it to begin with?

Comment

Shannon-I know its been awhile since you posted this but I am a licensed agent in 47 states. It is a 50/50% chance that you are covered on your personal policy. It just depends on the weight limit of the vehicle on most policies. Primary insurance always covers you and then when you buy rental truck or car insurance it is secondary. They pull the money from your primary insurance first. If your policy doesn't cover enough, that is when your rental insurance would kick in. I never purchase rental car insurance. However, it is always better to be OVER insured than UNDER!! I wrote my own policy and hit 2 parked vehicles last month. I had to send myself the notice that my rates are going up. Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to just hire a limo service than own and insure my own vehicle!!!
                        CJ Steen
                        Marketing Director
                        On The Move, Inc.
                        www.onthemovetrucks.com
                        My first job was at my parent's facility!
                        Now I help improve facilities!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Meauxhala
                          Reply to Google Posts
                          by Meauxhala
                          Thanks T_Champeau I appreciate the feedback. ....
                          Today, 03:08 PM
                        • NCstorageguru
                          Reply to Insurance Sales
                          by NCstorageguru
                          We had a very successful retired contract lawyer storing her goods with us after she sold her house to the travel around the world. She was very concerned about insurance and covering her goods. She looked into the policy that was offered through our software. I will NOT name any names but let's just...
                          Today, 02:56 PM
                        • MusicCity Gal
                          Reply to Website Revamp
                          by MusicCity Gal
                          Great article and we LOVE our website. We just had both of our websites completely rebuilt by Storage Pug. Cannot recommend them highly enough. You will see my testimony on their brand new website....
                          Today, 02:47 PM
                        Working...
                        X