Truck Rental - Uhaul Penske Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truck Rental - Uhaul Penske Budget

Doing truck rentals is a good way to put idle staff to work. We have had to add another position to keep up with the workload generated from renting U-Hauls. The commissions from U-Haul more than cover this additional overhead. Renting U-Hauls has increase merchandise sales as well as drove more customers to our location. Supply of equipment ebbs and flows depending on population shifts to and from the area. Having a good AFM is key to success. U-haul contributes about 10-15% to the bottom line of this facility as well as further deversify the service offerings/products that we sell.

I dont see how anyone who rents U-hauls is loosing money. The trucks are either idle on the lot or moving and making you an average of 20% on every transaction, be it in-town or one-way. 80% of our revenue is from one-way rentals.

-SG

Comment

And we are not the only dealer within a 10 mile radius, there are two others. But we are the best of course :-)

Comment

Trucks, A super royal pain, all of them. I have worked uhaul, penske and budget, with budget being the absolute worst. If someone makes a reservation, budget does not guarentee a truck will be here for them. When someone comes in and their truck is not here, they are upset with me and this property. I never had that problem with the other two. I usually dont like it when your in the middle of selling a storage unit and someone wants to play 20 questions about a truck. In 11 years, I have had very few truck rentals turn into storage sales. Its all the time I spend with the truck part that I dont feel pays back in revenue. Like when I am on the phone and a storage customer comes in, and trying to be polite on the phone explaining, NO, I cant put a hitch on your mini-van. Or you have a refund coming from penske from 6 months ago, and you rented from someone 4 states away, please call penske, Oh, you did call them and they cant help, sorry, but I cant either.Penske sends that refund, not me. Or the 10 point inspection budget wants, they give me an air guage for the tires, if they are low, they want me to take it to the gas station and fill them. Or the truck that was parked blocking the gate overnight, came back on half a tank, customer there at 9:01 am demanding the truck right now( they are paying movers now and want the truck now, so you send it out on half, budget does a very high charge back and it cost me 86.00 to rent that truck. Or when budget wants me to study the reservations to see if I have the trucks for the reservations they made, if not, I am supposed to close my store, drive two cities away to get one, if I can find one at all. Not to worry though, they will pay me .15 cents a mile which goes in the commission check which the company gets, not me. It makes no sence to have two people drive to another city, while my store is closed to rent a truck. The return income is not worth it, even if I got money or gas for doing it. By the time you check in a truck, deal with the customer, take care of the dollies and pads, change the car carrier over to another truck for the next day, you can have quite a bit of time involved, which should be spent on storage. And then there is the reporting and deposits and another cash drawer to deal with.
        After all this, I do think truck rentals should be a part of storage, we just need a truck rental company that is easier to deal with. If I had my pick of them all, uhaul seems to be the easiest(even tho they brought me gallons of car wash soap and wanted me to wash trucks, inside and out). My next job will not have truck rentals and thats the only truck guarentee I can make.
        "Bend, but don't bend over"

Comment

"they will pay me .15 cents a mile which goes in the commission check which the company gets, not me"

Bob....isn't that the point....all "income" goes to the facility. This isn't about personal gain, but doing what is required as an employee of the facility?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernGent View Post
            "they will pay me .15 cents a mile which goes in the commission check which the company gets, not me"

Bob....isn't that the point....all "income" goes to the facility. This isn't about personal gain, but doing what is required as an employee of the facility?
            His point was that HE drove his PERSONAL vehicle 2 cities away to pick up the truck but then the COMPANY got the reimbursement for it.

And 15 cents a mile won't even cover the gas anyway.
            MamaDuke

Comment

Thanks manaduke, your exactly right. Money is not going to come out of my pocket to keep budget trucks running. If I got one nickel more for doing budget, it might be different. But who would invest money in anything if you got a guarenteed 0.00 return?

Comment

When we worked for a 3rd party management company, we were a U-Haul dealer...when we first started working there, the way the split worked for the U-Haul income, the owner made 75% of the commission, the 3rd party management company made 5%, and my husband and I made 20%.

We did spend our own gas going to get one-way trucks when needed, and we did it on our own time after hours.

We made $800-$1000 in extra income ourselves from our 20%.

After we had been working there about 8 months, the 3rd party management company decided that we were making too much money on U-Haul rentals, outside the parameters of what they wanted to pay their employees, so they eliminated out 20% commission. (we were a top 100 U-haul dealer, and actually made it to #7 in North America one month)

We immediately stopped going to get one-way trucks, which is where the BIG money is in U-Haul rentals. The U-Haul income dropped by 90% from about $5 grand a month to less then $500....but like Superbob I wasn't wearing out my vehicle or going broke pumping gas into it for no reimbursement.

so my suggestion is that if you have employees, and want to make big bucks in truck rental, give them some incentive for doing the work or making the extra effort or pulling gas money out of their pocket or spending their own un-paid time helping to make the income.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa T View Post
                  so my suggestion is that if you have employees, and want to make big bucks in truck rental, give them some incentive for doing the work or making the extra effort or pulling gas money out of their pocket or spending their own un-paid time helping to make the income.

Thats too much to expect from staff to be using their own vehicles/gas. When we get a call from the AFM, we load up all available hands and take a van out to the location. Staff is paid normal hourly pay, whether behind the counter or driving trucks back to the facility. Bonus structure around here is based on occupancy/delinquency rate. Storage is the primary income....everything else is ancillary services.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lisa T;1339]pleasant truck rental company? That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

That is the truth Lisa T! We do Budget here UGH!! But it did add $20,000 in income for us last year. HATE that they continue to open new dealers in our small area though.
                    Michelle Dye
                    Affordable Storage Solutions
                    StorageInPueblo.com
                    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
                    Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernGent View Post
                      Thats too much to expect from staff to be using their own vehicles/gas. When we get a call from the AFM, we load up all available hands and take a van out to the location. Staff is paid normal hourly pay, whether behind the counter or driving trucks back to the facility. Bonus structure around here is based on occupancy/delinquency rate. Storage is the primary income....everything else is ancillary services.
                      You may want to think some on that topic. There is definitely an "art" to selling truck services, and the better an employee is in that art, which motivation and enthusiasm is a big factor in being better, the more money you will make.

When we were a U-Haul dealer, I made a LOT of reservations from phone calls, never had to touch a truck, just made money from the phone calls, and I always did at least 5 remote storage rentals a month, we made a good percentage of the first month's rent on those remote rentals if it was a paid rental and not a "first month storage free with a U-Haul truck rental" Plus we got WebBest and our U-Haul phone line for free.

There is a big difference between just answering the U-Haul line and reading the script versus selling the truck rental. A little commission for selling (which is standard in any sales job...commission), wouldn't hurt the bottom line.

Comment

Warren Buffet said, its not a good deal unless its a good deal for all involved. The self storage and truck rental business needs to learn that. Once I earned a 1000 bonus. As the owner handed me the check he said"This is too much money for you to be making, I am redoing the bonus structure, I dont want you making this much" Wow, did I learn a lot from that statement. It seems an owner or investor wants maximum performance from his investment. But a worker who invests their sweat, tears, and their life revolves around this investment should not reap maximum rewards for their efforts. Like lisa t said, how much motivation and enthusiasm did I have after that statement? I became very pratical after that. I have really listened to what owners say and their motivation behind it. I had one owner who drove up in his 80000 mercedes and saw the old beater ford ranger I was driving and asked " Is that your truck, I answered yes, he said, well, thats good enough for you." He was visiting because I had just set a record income for that property for the month, 10000 more than it had ever made. I asked one management company owner, How do you keep the wages so low, I got the answer, you become friendly with them, ask about their dog or children, try to be concerned, they usually dont ask for more that way.
                        I realize that the owner or investor has all the risk, I can skidaddle anytime, they should make a good return. The worker should also make a good return, or like warren buffet said, its not a good deal. Like SouthernGent said, trucks are an ancillary business. Its also ancillary work. and ancillary work should have some ancillary pay. When you see an help wanted ad, and it says must be movatiated, I wonder what they are talking about, like the owners or investors, I am movitated, like them, by money. I am money movatated, who isnt. When there is no money for doing some work, where is the movtavation? Would anyone invest money, time, and work into something that does not have some sort of reward? Would an investor invest in something with no return? Would an owner buy a property if he was going to make 0 money? Truck rentals should definately have a reward for all involved. Just my 2 cents, thats all I can afford.

Comment

Superbob, I have a cousin who is in sales for the medical industry, he makes a small base salary and about $350,000 a year in commission....he makes his employer millions each year....I don't know why this industry is one of the few in sales that the employees are not regarded as salespeople? The highly effective storage salespeople are usually stifled in their efforts, not encouraged, as you and I have both encountered.

Maybe it's because we also pick up trash and clean toilets? whereas my cousin does not?

Comment

Budget trucks here does not guarentee a reservation. I have had many people come in to rent a truck and we have nothing, and then they are torqued off with me and this property. Budget trucks refuses to show me how to do anything, rent or take in a truck, paperwork. The area manager says go to this abg university crap and figure out how to do it myself. I have had it with budget and their company. There is no company support at all. ONce I get away from budget, I will never do it again, Uhaul, Penske, ok, Never, Never budget trucks again.

Comment

I've got bad news for you Superbob, the U-Haul AFM's don't teach you anything either, you have to log in to U-Haul University (UHU) and take the online classes.

Comment

Lisa, I guess it just has to do with which AFM you have. I have been in 2 different areas with AFMs, one not so great and one AWESOME!!! Both of them available to me to answer any question and help with any problem, but this one comes in monthly to do training. I can even call him at home on the weekend if necessary, and he is happy to help. He always answers my calls, and our brand new U-haul business is building business rapidly.

So while I have no doubt some are not helpful, others can be mediocre, and still others can be great. The same as self storage managers, I guess!
                                MamaDuke

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X