X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cowfarmer
    replied
    Re: Truck Rental - Uhaul Penske Budget

Works Comp Insurance rates may increase because of UHAUL repair requirements......
    In SO CAL, UHAUL is requiring dealers to change clearance lights on trucks
    (11'-12' high at the top of a truck - requires an extension ladder to reach the bulb)
    If/when an employee falls from the extension ladder there will certainly be an injury and a WC claim, Also, the job classification rating may well change, thus increasing premiums.

Your thoughts please.

Leave a comment:

• cowfarmer
    replied

I certainly agree that truck rental is a supplement to the storage business.....
    Uhaul generates about 6% of gross sales in our 400 unit facility and 80% of the problems
    One must make policy to not allow the tail (Uhaul) wag the dog (storage)

Leave a comment:

• Gina6k
    replied

Superbob, first ask what their employee retention rate is? Clue #1 right?
    Chat with them, not interviewer/interviewee, but ask questions about any 'safe' topic, no politics or religion and see how they respond. If they're in the least big cagey or do any of the body language tell tale signs they're hiding something or lying... move on to the next one.

Above all, trust your gut! If something doesn't "feel" right move on. If the person you're chatting with is confident enough to let their hair down a bit and bond on a person to person level, you've got a good starting point for a great working relationship. Anyone too full of themselves isn't worth wasting my time with. I may be just a manager, but I'm a damned, oops I mean darned good one and I'll bust my buns for you, IF you treat me as a fellow human being and not just a subordinate to be kicked around and tossed out with yesterday's leftover pizza. Running a good property means interaction on many levels. If someone can't display good interpersonal skills... well... Again, please keep in touch no matter where you end up.

Leave a comment:

• Superbob
    replied

Thanks to all for understanding. I do love the business and will check in from time to time, thanks for letting me know I am still welcome. I could go on about the troubles in my life here, but I dont want anyone to get all misty eyed. I just have to be better about picking out employers. It is really sad when you start a new job, and find out they have had on the average of 3 managers a year. you eventually learn why. I learned. Does anyone have any idea of how to pick out a good employer?

Leave a comment:

• Mel Holsinger
    replied

Originally posted by Superbob View Post
    Ok, here is some more news, the uhaul afm takes me to get a truck that is needed. Budget told me to close my self storage property, call someone in to take me to get the truck, and not to worry about my gas, budget will pay me 15 cents a mile. I have not seen the budget truck that rents for 15 cents a mile, I wonder why they think they can force me to use my vehicle and my gas for 15 cents a mile. Penske hikes trucks in. I have done uhaul a couple times and penske once. I WILL NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING BUDGET AGAIN. Its the worst company I have seen. I have had about 20 people at different times show up to rent the truck they reserved, and no truck. Like today, the budget website states in bold that we are out of trucks until the 7th, but they still send people in anyway. Budget knows we are out of trucks, why send people in?
    budget says I am supposed to check tire pressure, and since I work alone, close my store and take the truck to the gas station and air up the tires. Not gonna close the store for budget. Trucks are supposed to be an ancilliary thing. Trucks are supposed to be here to augment and help self storage. Not the other way around. And I would after 3 months of doing budget I would go to this abg university thing, but budget still has not given me a user name and password, which is required. The afm screams at me when I ask her what I am supposed to do, what reports to run and send them where, and even how to run them. I am so burnt on budget noone will ever convince me otherwise. I know for a fact penske and uhaul are better and you do get some company support. NEVER, EVER, BUDGET AGAIN.
    And on another note, I am kinda tired of the b.s. with self storage. It seems they want and want and want more, and make the business harder than it has to be. I am going to throw 12 years of sucuess and experience in the back yard and go do something else. What b.s. you ask? the company I work for now has a new rule. If this property rented 15 units last year in march, I have to rent at least 15 this march, or get a write up. thats exactly the kind of b.s. I have had enough of. Its been nice to be here on SST, I have learned a lot, But I believe this will be my last post. God bless and best of luck to everyone.
    Sorry to hear this, this is a case of the supposed top people not being in touch with the real world. I know you will do well in what ever you do and we will miss you, but as Gina and Jim have said, pop in anytime.

Leave a comment:

• MisterJim444
    replied

SuperBob:

I understand getting to the breaking point. I want to wish you all the best in what is around the next corner for you. Remember, as Gina said, you are always welcome.

MisterJim444

Leave a comment:

• Gina6k
    replied

Superbob, that's insane. You have no control over the demand in your area, or the market or ... and before some owner pops in, yes, we can sell empty space like no ones business, we can kick butt on sales calls, but there are so many other factors. You can't judge based on one month. The short-sightedness of some folks is unreal.

Best of luck to you Superbob. You can still pop in here with your experience and help others and let us know how things are going for you.

Leave a comment:

• Superbob
    replied

Ok, here is some more news, the uhaul afm takes me to get a truck that is needed. Budget told me to close my self storage property, call someone in to take me to get the truck, and not to worry about my gas, budget will pay me 15 cents a mile. I have not seen the budget truck that rents for 15 cents a mile, I wonder why they think they can force me to use my vehicle and my gas for 15 cents a mile. Penske hikes trucks in. I have done uhaul a couple times and penske once. I WILL NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING BUDGET AGAIN. Its the worst company I have seen. I have had about 20 people at different times show up to rent the truck they reserved, and no truck. Like today, the budget website states in bold that we are out of trucks until the 7th, but they still send people in anyway. Budget knows we are out of trucks, why send people in?
    budget says I am supposed to check tire pressure, and since I work alone, close my store and take the truck to the gas station and air up the tires. Not gonna close the store for budget. Trucks are supposed to be an ancilliary thing. Trucks are supposed to be here to augment and help self storage. Not the other way around. And I would after 3 months of doing budget I would go to this abg university thing, but budget still has not given me a user name and password, which is required. The afm screams at me when I ask her what I am supposed to do, what reports to run and send them where, and even how to run them. I am so burnt on budget noone will ever convince me otherwise. I know for a fact penske and uhaul are better and you do get some company support. NEVER, EVER, BUDGET AGAIN.
    And on another note, I am kinda tired of the b.s. with self storage. It seems they want and want and want more, and make the business harder than it has to be. I am going to throw 12 years of sucuess and experience in the back yard and go do something else. What b.s. you ask? the company I work for now has a new rule. If this property rented 15 units last year in march, I have to rent at least 15 this march, or get a write up. thats exactly the kind of b.s. I have had enough of. Its been nice to be here on SST, I have learned a lot, But I believe this will be my last post. God bless and best of luck to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• MamaDuke
    replied

Lisa, I guess it just has to do with which AFM you have. I have been in 2 different areas with AFMs, one not so great and one AWESOME!!! Both of them available to me to answer any question and help with any problem, but this one comes in monthly to do training. I can even call him at home on the weekend if necessary, and he is happy to help. He always answers my calls, and our brand new U-haul business is building business rapidly.

So while I have no doubt some are not helpful, others can be mediocre, and still others can be great. The same as self storage managers, I guess!

Leave a comment:

• Lisa T
    replied

I've got bad news for you Superbob, the U-Haul AFM's don't teach you anything either, you have to log in to U-Haul University (UHU) and take the online classes.

Leave a comment:

• Superbob
    replied

Budget trucks here does not guarentee a reservation. I have had many people come in to rent a truck and we have nothing, and then they are torqued off with me and this property. Budget trucks refuses to show me how to do anything, rent or take in a truck, paperwork. The area manager says go to this abg university crap and figure out how to do it myself. I have had it with budget and their company. There is no company support at all. ONce I get away from budget, I will never do it again, Uhaul, Penske, ok, Never, Never budget trucks again.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa T
    replied

Superbob, I have a cousin who is in sales for the medical industry, he makes a small base salary and about $350,000 a year in commission....he makes his employer millions each year....I don't know why this industry is one of the few in sales that the employees are not regarded as salespeople? The highly effective storage salespeople are usually stifled in their efforts, not encouraged, as you and I have both encountered.

Maybe it's because we also pick up trash and clean toilets? whereas my cousin does not?

Leave a comment:

• Superbob
    replied

Warren Buffet said, its not a good deal unless its a good deal for all involved. The self storage and truck rental business needs to learn that. Once I earned a 1000 bonus. As the owner handed me the check he said"This is too much money for you to be making, I am redoing the bonus structure, I dont want you making this much" Wow, did I learn a lot from that statement. It seems an owner or investor wants maximum performance from his investment. But a worker who invests their sweat, tears, and their life revolves around this investment should not reap maximum rewards for their efforts. Like lisa t said, how much motivation and enthusiasm did I have after that statement? I became very pratical after that. I have really listened to what owners say and their motivation behind it. I had one owner who drove up in his 80000 mercedes and saw the old beater ford ranger I was driving and asked " Is that your truck, I answered yes, he said, well, thats good enough for you." He was visiting because I had just set a record income for that property for the month, 10000 more than it had ever made. I asked one management company owner, How do you keep the wages so low, I got the answer, you become friendly with them, ask about their dog or children, try to be concerned, they usually dont ask for more that way.
    I realize that the owner or investor has all the risk, I can skidaddle anytime, they should make a good return. The worker should also make a good return, or like warren buffet said, its not a good deal. Like SouthernGent said, trucks are an ancillary business. Its also ancillary work. and ancillary work should have some ancillary pay. When you see an help wanted ad, and it says must be movatiated, I wonder what they are talking about, like the owners or investors, I am movitated, like them, by money. I am money movatated, who isnt. When there is no money for doing some work, where is the movtavation? Would anyone invest money, time, and work into something that does not have some sort of reward? Would an investor invest in something with no return? Would an owner buy a property if he was going to make 0 money? Truck rentals should definately have a reward for all involved. Just my 2 cents, thats all I can afford.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa T
    replied

Originally posted by SouthernGent View Post
    Thats too much to expect from staff to be using their own vehicles/gas. When we get a call from the AFM, we load up all available hands and take a van out to the location. Staff is paid normal hourly pay, whether behind the counter or driving trucks back to the facility. Bonus structure around here is based on occupancy/delinquency rate. Storage is the primary income....everything else is ancillary services.
    You may want to think some on that topic. There is definitely an "art" to selling truck services, and the better an employee is in that art, which motivation and enthusiasm is a big factor in being better, the more money you will make.

When we were a U-Haul dealer, I made a LOT of reservations from phone calls, never had to touch a truck, just made money from the phone calls, and I always did at least 5 remote storage rentals a month, we made a good percentage of the first month's rent on those remote rentals if it was a paid rental and not a "first month storage free with a U-Haul truck rental" Plus we got WebBest and our U-Haul phone line for free.

There is a big difference between just answering the U-Haul line and reading the script versus selling the truck rental. A little commission for selling (which is standard in any sales job...commission), wouldn't hurt the bottom line.

Leave a comment:

• MRDye
    replied

[QUOTE=Lisa T;1339]pleasant truck rental company? That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

That is the truth Lisa T! We do Budget here UGH!! But it did add $20,000 in income for us last year. HATE that they continue to open new dealers in our small area though.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X