Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Truck Insurance Carrier - Who will insure for a reasonable premium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Truck Insurance Carrier - Who will insure for a reasonable premium?

We used to be a Uhaul dealer but decided it wasnt worth the small commissions. We are now considering buying our own moving truck for local moves and looking for liability insurance quotes. All of the quotes so far have been very expensive. Has anyone found a insurance carrier that has reasonable premiums for this type of insurance?

Thank-You for your help!!

Chuck

Re: Moving Truck Insurance Carrier - Who will insure for a reasonable premium?

contact On The Move Insurance, they are a featured sponsor of SST. You can click on their logo for more info>>>>

We bought a truck too, and they were by far the lowest insurance provider we could find.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck View Post
      We used to be a Uhaul dealer but decided it wasnt worth the small commissions. We are now considering buying our own moving truck for local moves and looking for liability insurance quotes. All of the quotes so far have been very expensive. Has anyone found a insurance carrier that has reasonable premiums for this type of insurance?

Thank-You for your help!!

Chuck
      Hi Chuck,
      We also purchased a truck, however it's primary role is a courtesy truck during move-ins for new tenants. It is a great promotional tool for our storage facility, and it also increases our conversion rate. Its secondary role is a rental truck.

People love the free use of the courtesy truck, and it has definitely helped to promote our storage facility. If the rental profit does not cover expenses such as insurance and maintenance, I would not worry about it as long as the truck is increasing your sales and conversion. Our insurance is very expensive, since the drivers are automatically insured, however the benefits of the truck far outweigh the cost.

Good luck, and check out the other threads for a courtesy truck within this forum.

Cheers, Pete.
      The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
      Pete, at Imperial Self Storage in Port Coquitlam, BC

Comment

I hand out Free Truck vouchers to all new move ins. They are instructed to go to either Hertz Truck Rentals or Budget and give them the numbered voucher. They use the number as a PO#, and the customer rents the truck in his/her name. When the invoices come in, I match the customer to the PO#.

We get billed for 1 day + the insurance on either a cube or a cargo van. Cheaper than running a truck + zero insurance liability

Comment

We also use On The Move as our insurance carrier for our Free Rental Truck programs.

HOWEVER, I want to know if anyone provides insurance for the customer to purchase at the time of rental. We require all customers to provide proof of insurance and they must of course have a valid DL and be 21. A lot of times when they call their auto insurance, they are NOT covered to drive our 16 foot box truck because it is considered a commercial vehicle. The customer is responsible for the first $2100 in damage.

I have rented Penske and U-Haul and would LOVE it if we could offer the purchase of insurance. If you know of someone who offers this, please let me know.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          President
          A+ Management Group, LP
          Nashville, TN
          www,aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Do you charge a non-refundable damage waiver at all? We also have a truck from OTM, and we charge a $20 fee to reduce the deductible to $500. OTM recommends not going below $1,000 (since that's the deductible we have with them), but we figured $500 is easier for most folks to come up with should something happen. Plus, we make enough extra money off the damage waiver fee to cover our half. (Keep in mind that that's only for collision damage; the customer is still responsible for any damage related to height/width of the truck.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wc1974
              Reply to Happening all over the USA
              by wc1974
              They do- if you know this person I would give them a heads up to change that right away. If they get reported to the authorites they would be in big trouble. All Fair Housing laws are applied by both Federal and State law.

Federal protected classes include:
              • Race.
              • Color.
              • Religion or
              Today, 05:49 PM
            • pacnwstorage
              by pacnwstorage
              If the facilities ever have to follow rental laws, like for housing, that will be the day I start looking for another career.

This warning was written and posted by a home owner that rents out a room. I have no idea if they have to follow the same laws you speak of.
              Today, 05:41 PM
            • wc1974
              by wc1974
              These requirements violate almost every single Fair Housing law there is. You CAN NOT advertise in a public forum, or ask them in a private setting what is their religion,age, sex, sexual orientation, you cannot deny them a pet if it is a service animal- if they have a doctors note you have to take...
              Today, 05:33 PM
            Working...
            X