Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Wine Storage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Wine Storage

    It seems more new developments are adding wine storage. Do you think it's a good profit center? What are the benefits of offering this service? Any drawbacks?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

    @AmyCampbell_ISS
    480.281.6091

  • #2
    Re: More Wine Storage

    My wife and I ran a facility that had wine storage and it was only about 40% occupied, but the people that were in it either paid a year in advance or were on auto-pay so it was a steady stream of revenue. They could only access it during office hours because the door into it was coded and the code changed daily. To get the code, they had to sign-in and show ID. It was also alarmed. Benefits would be appealing to a niche market depending on the area (higher value homes, upscale restaurants, etc), and drawbacks would be constant supervision making sure your temperature and humidity levels stay within tolerance because if those go the wrong way, your tenant could lose thousands of dollars in property.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: More Wine Storage

      Originally posted by dreid View Post
      My wife and I ran a facility that had wine storage and it was only about 40% occupied, but the people that were in it either paid a year in advance or were on auto-pay so it was a steady stream of revenue. They could only access it during office hours because the door into it was coded and the code changed daily. To get the code, they had to sign-in and show ID. It was also alarmed. Benefits would be appealing to a niche market depending on the area (higher value homes, upscale restaurants, etc), and drawbacks would be constant supervision making sure your temperature and humidity levels stay within tolerance because if those go the wrong way, your tenant could lose thousands of dollars in property.

      The listed drawbacks are the first thing that came to my mind. It sounds like an opportunity for finger pointing. I could be wrong completely but with the likelihood of what sounds like a partial occupancy and the constant monitoring, I just would not want the headache, but we all know how lazy I am. If I can't fix a problem with a bigger hammer then it is no fun to me. I also just had this thought. What do you do when the tenant has imbibed a bunch of wine at home and realized they are out and need more and then you have a tipsy or worse tenant show up wanting access to the wine storage?
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: More Wine Storage

        Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        The listed drawbacks are the first thing that came to my mind. It sounds like an opportunity for finger pointing. I could be wrong completely but with the likelihood of what sounds like a partial occupancy and the constant monitoring, I just would not want the headache, but we all know how lazy I am. If I can't fix a problem with a bigger hammer then it is no fun to me. I also just had this thought. What do you do when the tenant has imbibed a bunch of wine at home and realized they are out and need more and then you have a tipsy or worse tenant show up wanting access to the wine storage?
        So far (knock on wood) that's never happened here. Our wine tenants are more like absent friends that show up once in awhile. We do have some sommeliers that store here and are regular, but that's for work so it's never been an issue. We've been very fortunate, and we have a back up plan for the just in case like if we lose power. (everyone understands that if there is an earthquake they can just kiss their wine goodbye) The entire room is refrigerated and if we do lose power we let no one in (just like your fridge at home). If the power outage looks like it will go beyond two, perhaps three days then we call tenants and have them come in and get their wine. No liability here, and they've signed that they understand that.
        An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: More Wine Storage

          The facility we had wine storage at had separate power from the rest of the building and we had a gasoline generator we could use to power it in case of a short power outage.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: More Wine Storage

            Originally posted by dreid View Post
            The facility we had wine storage at had separate power from the rest of the building and we had a gasoline generator we could use to power it in case of a short power outage.
            No one wanted to spend the money for a generator here.
            An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

            Comment

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            • RMRSS
              Reply to Vacates Without Notice Hurts...
              by RMRSS
              But it sounded like you were saying you could lock it even before that, right?



              Are you sure your state allows that? That seems terribly subjective. Tenant gives you an attitude so you slap a lock on their unit? If you haven't already, you might want to check with a lawyer...
              Today, 08:43 PM
            • pacnwstorage
              Reply to Pet Peeves
              by pacnwstorage
              YES! That is exactly what I am afraid of happening. Raccoons truly scare me. When I first took over here the old managers had feral cats all over the place. At the end of one of the building they commandeered a unit and left it open about 1 foot and had sleeping spots and cages in there. It was back...
              Today, 08:18 PM
            • KrisinNC
              Reply to Pet Peeves
              by KrisinNC
              Raccoon: Excuse me, sir. We understand that you're storing jerky. We can smell it on your shoes. Hand it over and no one gets rabies. ...
              Today, 08:09 PM
            Working...
            X