Manager Wages and Amenities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Wages and Amenities

I have 2 full time managers, one for the office and one for the grounds.
    I am paying them each $12.20/hr plus they get a furnished on-site apartment with utilities. I have on idea if I'm paying too high, too low or just right.
    The facility has 720 storage units of various sizes, 35 vehicle storage spaces and 144 personal mail boxes.

Dale

Well that depends on the area. It does how ever seem a good price to me. Also are they good at what they do? Well if the answer is yes then they must feel it is a fair price or you would see it in the way they work for you. Does that make sense??
    Proud Karate Mom

Comment

Something that is important to us is health insurance. We are in are late 40's, and don't have any health problems, but I would not take a job that doesn't offer health insurance. Even something as simple as an appendectomy could wipe out your savings, and trying to get health insurance on your own is horrible. We tried it a few years ago, and it was $485 a month for both of us, and two weeks after we purchased it, they raised the rates by $200 more a month. It hadn't even gone into effect yet.

We have had several job offers over the years that we would have taken except for the lack of insurance.

Comment

On site Manager Teams

I currently work for a facility which has about the same amount of accounts as yours. We have 370 units 375 parking spaces and commercial warehouses. The leases are different for the warehouses, but the concept is the same. In any case my current wage is comporable to what you are paying, and I don't live on site. So, in my opinion, you are very generous with wage.

Comment

Re: Manager Wages and Amenities

It is a reasonable salary. I also wouldn't take a job without insurance. The best motto I have ever heard is: "take care of your managers and they will take care of you"

Comment

I am a proponent for paying managers well, if the economics of the facility can afford it.

The average self storage facility is worth 2-4 million dollars. The question is:

"If you owned a 3 million dollar LearJet, would you hire a minimum wage pilot to fly it?"

As stated previously, it depends on your area. Benefits, especially health insurance is critical in retaining good managers.

My motto: Pay as well as you can, after all, the properties don't compete, the managers do!

Comment

I worked at a 400 unit facility. Helped start it up, got it going, was paid almost $15.00 an hour after 3 years. Put in a lot of extra time, owner was ready and added 4 new buildings last year. To keep good help, if you want quality, you go to pay for it. Don't turn into a slum-lord....a lot of owners do. The quest for more and more money just gets the best of them, If you have a good manager that wants to keep the place sharp, gives great customer service, and knows how to run the business, better keep him/her, don't micro-manage, invest in them! I know of a few places where they pay the Managers/employees pitifully, and have lowered their standards of the people they hire, in a short period they started having turned-off customers (it always reflects) thefts, deterioration, you name it.

Owners need training too, not all owners are good managers, or understand the profession. Get yourself to school, too!

Comment

Originally posted by tosborne View Post
                I worked at a 400 unit facility. Helped start it up, got it going, was paid almost $15.00 an hour after 3 years. Put in a lot of extra time, owner was ready and added 4 new buildings last year. To keep good help, if you want quality, you go to pay for it. Don't turn into a slum-lord....a lot of owners do. The quest for more and more money just gets the best of them, If you have a good manager that wants to keep the place sharp, gives great customer service, and knows how to run the business, better keep him/her, don't micro-manage, invest in them! I know of a few places where they pay the Managers/employees pitifully, and have lowered their standards of the people they hire, in a short period they started having turned-off customers (it always reflects) thefts, deterioration, you name it.

Owners need training too, not all owners are good managers, or understand the profession. Get yourself to school, too!
                Welcome to the forum, tosborne!!! Are you still working in storage??? I loved Tom Litton's post:

"If you owned a 3 million dollar LearJet, would you hire a minimum wage pilot to fly it?"

That says everything...that and the old adage...you get what you pay for!!

Success always involves risk; you can't steal second base with your foot on first. - Frederick Wilcox

Comment

Hmm. Good to know!

Frankly that's beating the pants off what I'm making! But then this facility isn't nearly that large...

I, too, would like to find one that offers benefits, particularly insurance. Two friends have contacted me that their places might be hiring. One would be a union shop, low starting pay but a very clear progression, and of course they have benefits. My commute would increase quite a bit though! The other would be going back to IT...because they also film 'webisodes' for the training they do and also want actors! We'll see.
                  "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://larrylaunders.voice123.com/

Comment

I live in Skrill-Acon Valley. Wish I had an on-site apt to live in. That's the only way to get ahead out here. What you are paying them depends on where you are located. Some cities and states are a lot cheaper to live in than others

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Politi View Post
                      I have 2 full time managers, one for the office and one for the grounds.
                      I am paying them each $12.20/hr plus they get a furnished on-site apartment with utilities. I have on idea if I'm paying too high, too low or just right.
                      The facility has 720 storage units of various sizes, 35 vehicle storage spaces and 144 personal mail boxes.

Dale
                      If you do not require your managers to work over forty hours without pay as so many employers do because of the apartment, then what you pay if it includes medical, dental inssurance is not too low. If you are working them store hours which usually equates to fifty-four hours a week minimum without overtime and benefits, then shame on you. I am paid considerably more than your managers and have an apartment but no insurance. My employer requires that I use my military and medicare benefits for medical. I work a minimum of fifty hours a week without overtime but do get long weekends at least once a month. I would love to escape this facility because of the amount of physical labor it requires to maintain but at my age it is difficult to find a position that pays as well. Pay close attention to what Mr. Litton says about pay and benefits, I've never found anyone that truly does this,but who knows, Gina always tells me that there are people who do.
                      The End Is Near!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph87gn View Post
                        I've never found anyone that truly does this,but who knows, Gina always tells me that there are people who do.
                        There are, Ralph, I now know this for certain...
                        The customer isn't always right, the trick is making them think they are!

Shannon

Comment

Wow my pay is way less thank it should be for Arkansas but if I had to guess I'd say that's pretty good pay. My boss doesn't offer medical or dental and I live on site. I am Manager, Mantanance which I hire out and pay for and then I have an Assistant Manager that is 2 saturdays per month and so I work 6 days a week 8am-5pm. No lunch unless not busy and I can run in and grab something but I'd say my employment is less than normal or I hope it is. In closing I'm looking to move up and move on in this industry. So I'm hoping to move to Texas within the next year and work in a bigger better paying facility. But everyone starts somewhere and this is where I am now...God thank you for my job, home, and family.
                          American Storage, Inc
                          Mona, Resident Mgr
                          4807 Rixie Rd
                          N. Little Rock, AR 72117

Comment

Hello I am a manager at storage facility in california. I am required to live on site.. However, i am still required to pay rent of $550. I get paid minimum wage of $9.00. That means one of my checks goes right back to the business I am working for. The problem is, i am forced, in order to do my job, to be considered on site. Is this legal?
                            Tabitha Farley
                            On-Site Manager, Sierra Storage South Merced
                            1-888-786-0460 ext. 4

Comment

Hello I am a manager at storage facility in california. I am required to live on site.. However, i am still required to pay rent of $650. I get paid minimum wage of $9.00. That means one of my checks goes right back to the business I am working for. The problem is, i am forced, in order to do my job, to be considered on site. Is this legal?
                              Tabitha Farley
                              On-Site Manager, Sierra Storage South Merced
                              1-888-786-0460 ext. 4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X