Opening vehicles at auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening vehicles at auction

What is the policy and/or statute about opening vehicles that are sold as is for parts only? We recently had an auction and there was a box truck for sale. The lock was cut at the rear and the back doors were opened. The bids jumped after that. No one ever enters the vehicles but they are able to look inside without entering as they do a storage unit.

Re: Opening vehicles at auction

I suspect that laws governing that, like the lien laws, differ from state to state. I don't think it would be a problem here.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by auditor7880 View Post
      What is the policy and/or statute about opening vehicles that are sold as is for parts only? We recently had an auction and there was a box truck for sale. The lock was cut at the rear and the back doors were opened. The bids jumped after that. No one ever enters the vehicles but they are able to look inside without entering as they do a storage unit.
      Without knowing which state, it would be very difficult to give a vallid answer.

We're one of the lucky ones, our state does not address the issue of opening a vehicle up.

We have called a locksmith out and had keys cut for vehicles, placed batteries in the temporally and added gas just to get them started for our auction buyers. Our choice, If the buyers hears the vehicle run they will pay top $$$ otherwise we get scrap price.

Comment

Originally posted by SMSSId View Post
        Without knowing which state, it would be very difficult to give a vallid answer.

We're one of the lucky ones, our state does not address the issue of opening a vehicle up.

We have called a locksmith out and had keys cut for vehicles, placed batteries in the temporally and added gas just to get them started for our auction buyers. Our choice, If the buyers hears the vehicle run they will pay top $$$ otherwise we get scrap price.
        Florida

Comment

Here in Pennsylvania (and please correct me if I am wrong), We were told a car or vehicle on an outside space cannot be sold the same way as we would if it were inside a storage unit. The Self Storage facility act only applies to self storage behind the doors. We no longer have outdoor parking. We lost the parking after we built the CC building. I am kind of glad as we always got the "someone hit my car" or Covers were always blowing around.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

When we sell a units contents my job is to get the most I can BUT get the unit emptied. I can legally enter the unit, and the POLICY is the bidders can't. I wouldn't even think twice about opening the doors on a vehicle or cabinet IF that would get more money honestly.
            Karen and Denny Beall
            Diamond Self Storage
            Nature Coast of Florida
            DiamondSelfStorage.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X