No announcement yet.

Illinois Sales Tax Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's an update: http://www.insideselfstorage.com/hot...ill-hb174.html.

Looks like the money grab is picking up steam. The Illinois Senate is your target; if this measure clears that Chamber, the House will likely rubber stamp it.

Comment

The Service Tax proposal was part of a bill that included a big increase in the income tax and a very small decrease in property taxes. This failed to pass the House so the House and Senate at the last second passed a "50% Budget" to fund most departments at 50% of last year's funding. The intent was for this to be temporary until a larger budget is agreed upon. However, the Senate President has filed for "reconsideration" of the budget vote so the whole budget is undecided at this point.

For anything to happen now, a 2/3 vote is required which means the Democrats cannot act alone and will need Republican votes to pass anything. Wide belief is the Service Tax, Cigarette Tax, and Gasoline Tax are dead. Income Tax may be increased, but anything is possible when politicians sit down and start making deals.

Do not blame the ISSA or SSA for not knowing about this. The proposal was held in secret by Democrat leaders to discuss while not being released in writing. It was released in writing only at the last moment and the Illinois Chamber, NFIB, ISSA, SSA, and many other groups jumped up in protest. The list shown in some documents shows 42 industries that would be subject to a Service Tax, but in reality almost any rental (storage, videos, tools, etc), private service (haircuts, massage, cleaning, lawn mowing, etc), or labor service in Illinois would have been subject to the standard Sales Tax Rate of 6.25% to 10% depending on the municipality.

We considered mailing to all our clients but the time was so short that we simply told as many people as possible and helped the Chamber of Commerce and NFIB in their objections.

IF YOU DO NOT BELONG TO THE LOCAL CHAMBER, NFIB, SSA, ISSA, AND OTHER BUSINESS SUPPORT GROUPS, YOU ARE HURTING YOURSELF AND YOUR INDUSTRY. IF YOU WANT A VOICE IN POLITICS, IF YOU WANT TO DEFEND YOUR INDUSTRY, IF YOU WANT BAD LAWS STOPPED, THEN YOU MUST JOIN THESE GROUPS AND DONATE MONEY TO FIGHT FOR YOUR CAUSE. THE ONLY THING THESE POLITICIANS LISTEN TO ARE GROUPS THAT LOBBY IN THE STATE CAPITAL, AND IF YOU AREN'T INVOLVED, YOU WILL BE A VICTIM. (Sorry for yelling but it really is that important.)

Respect to all!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
        Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
        by Storman
        I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
        Today, 12:16 AM
      • Orkocean
        Reply to new to storage
        by Orkocean
        My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
        Yesterday, 08:19 PM
      • MamaDuke
        Reply to new to storage
        by MamaDuke
        My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
        Yesterday, 08:01 PM
      Working...
      X