Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auctioneers paid flat fees instead of commission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auctioneers paid flat fees instead of commission?

I spoke to a fellow auctioneer from Illinois at the National Auctioneers Association and he stated that many facilities, especially in the Greater Chicago area pay a flat fee to their auctioneers instead of a percentage of the gross sales. Does anyone engage in this practice and would you care to explain the reasoning behind flat fees versus a commission?

Re: Auctioneers paid flat fees instead of commission?

I prefer a percentage based payment to an auctioneer, flat rate payment and they have no incentive to get more out of the unit. If they get a percentage they are more inclined to get as much as possible out of a unit.
    Ken
    Secure Self Storage
    New Castle, DE.

Comment

Re: Auctioneers paid flat fees instead of commission?

Originally posted by Tom Litton View Post
      I spoke to a fellow auctioneer from Illinois at the National Auctioneers Association and he stated that many facilities, especially in the Greater Chicago area pay a flat fee to their auctioneers instead of a percentage of the gross sales. Does anyone engage in this practice and would you care to explain the reasoning behind flat fees versus a commission?
      In Washington we are not required to advertise in the newspaper. Many auctioneers work for a flat fee since the facilities will only pay them that way. I don't think that auctioneers who get a flat $150 to do an auction really try very hard. In the long run, the facility loses money this way. There is also a strong argument that it is not commercially reasonable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
        Reply to Pet Peeves
        by KrisinNC
        Raccoon: Excuse me, sir. We understand that you're storing jerky. We can smell it on your shoes. Hand it over and no one gets rabies. ...
        Today, 08:09 PM
      • pacnwstorage
        Reply to Pet Peeves
        by pacnwstorage
        There is a wetlands at the back of the property and I have seen raccoons back there. All I need is a family of them knocking at my door wanting access to a meal of my shoes. Those raccoons get a mind set about that kind of thing and can be pretty persistent....
        Today, 08:04 PM
      • AngelaESSTX
        Reply to Pet Peeves
        by AngelaESSTX
        HAHA! It's probably for the best. You'd have animals running to you, to munch on your feet ...
        Today, 07:24 PM
      Working...
      X