Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty big facility approved for Northbrook (suburb north of Chicago)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty big facility approved for Northbrook (suburb north of Chicago)

Saw this today and thought it was interesting. It's a bit of a sensationalized headline, but I guess the point of comparing number of self-storage facilities to Starbucks stores in an affluent area (where Starbucks should rule) is just to underscore the once-again increasing demand for storage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...330-story.html

As a regional planner in this area, I am fascinated by some of the -- I guess we'll say "hostility" -- that certain local officials have toward developing and opening self-storage. But, good for this self-storage group for winning the uphill battle, despite some opposition, and getting approval for what appears will be a pretty attractive, modern facility.

Hi everyone, by the way. Good to "see" you all again.
    John Carlisle
    Community Manager Emeritus
    Still a Big Fan of Self-Storage!
    www.chicagoprowriter.com

Re: Pretty big facility approved for Northbrook (suburb north of Chicago)

I miss you John!! Thanks for popping in.
    Stephanie Tharpe
    Senior VP of Operations
    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
    Nashville, TN
    http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Well Trustee Heller sure isn't a fan of our industry is he? Hey John!! We've missed you, how're ya doing? That rendition looks gorgeous for a self storage complex. It has a modern, Silicon Valley corporate headquarter's look to it. Well, unless you consider the new Apple spaceship as a vision of a corporate headquarters. How's the regional planning business going for you?
      Gina 6k
      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
      storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Am I reading it right?

"He especially didn't like the idea of the request from property owner Michael Nortman for a Cook County 7C tax break to support the conversion of the 67,000-square-foot Lake Cook Road building, vacant for eight years, to self-storage."

So they are converting what is most probably an eye sore of a building, which hasn't generated tax dollars or jobs for eight years into something that will serve this community. And how is this a problem?

If this building would have properly satisfied the needs of a high tech company, surely one would have bought the building.
        Last edited by mseguin; 2nd April 2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mseguin View Post
          Am I reading it right?

"He especially didn't like the idea of the request from property owner Michael Nortman for a Cook County 7C tax break to support the conversion of the 67,000-square-foot Lake Cook Road building, vacant for eight years, to self-storage."

So they are converting what is most probably an eye sore of a building, which hasn't generated tax dollars or jobs for eight years into something that will serve this community. And how is this a problem?

If this building would have properly satisfied the needs of a high tech company, surely one would have bought the building.
          Amazing huh? I had a lot longer post worked up but thought better of sharing my opinion in a public forum.

Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
            Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
            by Storman
            I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
            Today, 12:16 AM
          • Orkocean
            Reply to new to storage
            by Orkocean
            My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
            Yesterday, 08:19 PM
          • MamaDuke
            Reply to new to storage
            by MamaDuke
            My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
            Yesterday, 08:01 PM
          Working...
          X