Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Brits Regret Throwing Stuff Away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits Regret Throwing Stuff Away

Surveys show that the people of the U.K. are packrats at heart, which bodes well for the self-storage industry.

To our users from across the pond: Have you observed this kind of behavior?
    John Carlisle
    Community Manager Emeritus
    Still a Big Fan of Self-Storage!
    www.chicagoprowriter.com

Well, I'm not a Brit, but I can sure relate! Maybe we should tranfer this post?

I for one have had many situations, where in the heat of the moment, during a purge, I throw a bunch of stuff away. (Being in ss, I see too many peeps keep icky stuff).

It always seems that down the line, I end up looking for some of these things, wondering where they are? I do indeed miss them!
    The customer isn't always right, the trick is making them think they are!

Shannon

Comment

Re: Brits Regret Throwing Stuff Away

Sometimes it is good to give away some items that you do not need, but if you find the items classic, and find some use for them within the next 6-7 months, then it is best to keep these. In particular, I would keep items that are only used seasonal like winter clothes, etc. Winter fashion for men does not really change a lot, unlike women’s. So, I would find storage for these, and try to use vacuum packaging so that I would save more space. I encounter clients who have done the same, where they would have their winter gear stored in our facilities in Northern Beaches, as well as surfing gear and would take these out during the season. If they decide to throw away some items, they make sure that the make a list of what they have thrown, so that they don’t go around like a headless chicken looking for these.
      Cameron Robertson - Self Storage Northern Beaches

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Griz326
        Reply to Market saturation???
        Griz326
        Building incrementally is tough.

* Building a storage unit ain't cheap.
        * It is a nearly irreversible commitment to a certain type of development.

It is the commitment to a certain type of land development that most concerns me.
        Yesterday, 11:24 PM
      • RMRSS
        Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
        RMRSS
        Yes, being able to send people to collections would pretty much totally reduce my stress in these situations (knowing they wouldn't get away with it), but although our management company (of which I'm an employee, btw, not a partner) has not yet set this up. I do plan to bring it up to the relevant...
        Yesterday, 09:53 PM
      • pacnwstorage
        Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
        pacnwstorage
        I would send him to collections asap and get that set up, which takes a day. Secondly I would leave a detailed review about him and his company at any number of business review sites. Mainly about him because you have no dealings with his business. Next I would wait for him outside his business and...
        Yesterday, 09:16 PM
      Working...
      X