Calling all Iowa Managers/Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Iowa Managers/Owners

From what I see I don't think many if any of you are on here, but if you are I am interested in getting the Iowa Self Storage Lien Law updated for the 21st century.

https://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-...=83&input=578A

I want to get other facility owners input before I go and talk to the representatives I know in the Iowa House and the Iowa Senate, about getting it changed.

My family used to run the Iowa Self Storage association over a decade ago, and I am volunteering my services to get the ball rolling again for the purpose of updating the Self Storage Lien law. Contact me here if you have any suggestions or want to get involved. I will be doing my best efforts to use the internet to reach out to facilities over the coming month, I already know most the owners around Cedar Rapids if we have people familiar with each other in different regions of the state I may enlist your help to get the word out.

Hey RandyL, we just bought a self storage facility in Iowa and I was trying to find a web site/contact info for Iowa self storage association but cannot find it. However I did find your post from a year ago Would you be able to help me? Thanks in advance!

Comment

The association does not exist at this point, I still have an interest in getting one going again. I just haven't had the time or the resources to reach out to all Iowa Owners.

I have talked to several who are also interested but that is the furthest it has gone till this point. I wish there was an easy way to reach out to Iowa facility owners.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
        The association does not exist at this point, I still have an interest in getting one going again. I just haven't had the time or the resources to reach out to all Iowa Owners.

I have talked to several who are also interested but that is the furthest it has gone till this point. I wish there was an easy way to reach out to Iowa facility owners.
        It could be somewhat costly but did you think to run a Google search for all of the storage properties and send out a postcard?????
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Lady that is where I started, but I started with calling them and not post cards. The issue being is I have to do different searches for different municipalities. You can just put in storage Iowa, but then you only get the facilities with good web pages.

Comment

This may sound silly but what about going to neighboring states and seeing if they can give you pointers on getting your foot in the door. Some may have great SSA presence and may be able to help you get a foot in the door. Also Do a google search and call each place you can find. For each place you find there may be a few that they know that you haven't found yet. I know at least 6 managers around me.... The ones I warn, when I see a problem tenant I have turned away", or the ones that have told me where to go for a better deal on boxes,etc" Ask each person you talk to, to help spread the word and have a goal in mind. Most managers will want better safer laws geared toward protecting the facilities they run.

Comment

There was a former Self Storage association in Iowa before. The SSA started it up, but when the SSA started wanting monthly dues and such the Iowa owners balked at that and folded it up. That happened back in the 90's. Almost 2 decades has passed since then, but I am not thinking the SSA is going to be the way to go.

I believe it would be very beneficial for us to have some regular meetings, and share information. It is just finding the person who has the time to organize it that is the problem.

Comment

What about various
                Chambers of Commerce???

Comment

I have not thought about the chamber of commerce, probably because I don't participate in the primary one in my community. I do in one of our smaller communities. Perhaps I could just buy a list from my mailing service as well.

Comment

At least it is a place to start!

Comment

Randy, we have quite a few Storage clients in Iowa. I could reach out to them and pass along a message for you if you're still pursuing this.
                      Let me know.

Edit*We have conversed through messages before. I was previously Select Merchant Solutions. I have since changed my name as other members of my team will be perusing the forums as well.
                      Last edited by Jon; 27 December 2017, 10:55 AM.
                      Director of Online Marketing at Select Merchant Solutions
                      Best of Business in Payment Services 5
                      years running!
                      Email | (p) 321-250-9315 (f) 407-641-8431

Comment

Hi Randy....I'm hoping this effort is still alive. I own a small facility in Iowa and I would LOVE to get the lien laws updated. Please add me to your contact list and I will be happy to help organize if I can.

Comment

Please add me to your contact list too!
                          Sensei, Self-Storage Ninjas
                          Black Belt Feasibility Consulting
                          www.selfstorageninjas.com
                          www.facebook.com/selfstorageninjas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KeelHauler1994
                            Reply to Facebook Marketing
                            by KeelHauler1994
                            A lot of great ideas. I will give you my thoughts and opinions but each faciltity is unique and each location presents its own positives and negatives.

If you have no advertising budget or very little, I would start with the following.

Do the market research for your zip code...
                            Today, 08:55 PM
                          • Orkocean
                            Reply to I can even sell units at competitor's facilities...dang I'm good.
                            by Orkocean
                            spidey senses, gotta love them... in our area anytime someone inquires about "smallest unit" and "access hours" we are on guard.. I had one the other day who wanted the smallest then asked if we accept checks after refusing to say what she's storing other than "boxes"....
                            Today, 08:39 PM
                          • Orkocean
                            Reply to Cleaning Hacks
                            by Orkocean
                            I won't blow unless I absolutely have to. I prefer broom and dustpan. As far a "hacks", I'll get the extension cords out and a shopvac on the roofs when its time to clean gutters of leafs, dusting doors are super quick if you get a California king duster from wally world in the auto section....
                            Today, 08:35 PM
                          Working...
                          X