Louisiana storage.....new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana storage.....new member

Hello....... I am going to be the manager of a new storage business opening in South Louisiana. I am new to the storage business. Any one willing to give me some do's and don't pointers on storage business in Louisiana?

Re: Louisiana storage.....new member

Welcome to the wacky world of self storage!

Fay, we are all here to help and learn as we go along.

Post your questions away!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Fay. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question, no matter how stupid or silly you think it may be. With all of the people on this forum, someone has probably had the same situation and can help you through it. If not, we will all learn together!

First, Join the Louisiana Self Storage Association if you are able and contact SSA about some of the classes they offer to help you with your daily, monthly and yearly work. Good Luck and stay in touch!
      Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Fay! Start out right and learn your tenants! The stories will astound you. Let them know late fees are for a reason. Not personal and just what the owner wants. Get your spidey senses sharpened for the tenant you know you will have to watch or you know would not be a good fit for the facility. How big is the facility? It would help us if you shared some details about the facility. Keep up on your paperwork. Be kind and gracious with your tenants but know when you are being told stories/lies. There is so much to share. Others will follow.

See my signature!
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. I am enjoying the storage business so far.

A little about us...... Approximately 2 years ago the owners of this facility purchased a 63,000 sq ft vacant grocery store located at a major intersection in our town and converted it into a climate controlled storage facility that has 440 units. The building had been boarded up and sat vacant for several years. Upon entering they discovered that all of the wire and copper had been stolen out of the building. So after a great deal of hard work and time they completed the conversion and we opened a little over 2 weeks ago. I have been told by visitors to our facility that this is one of the best conversions that have ever visited. We are all extremely proud!

We just hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday and had a great turn out. Now I am in the process of getting tenants. Since we opened I have rented an average of one unit a day. I have been told that is good but I am wanting to improve that average. Wish me luck. I am open to suggestions on ways to improve my average if any of you have some.

Comment

Hi Fay, welcome! I would definitely get some beat reporter to write an article of how you're improving your community but recycling an old building into a useful business!
            And congrats and overcoming the hurdles that you had.
            An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

Fay, congrats on the ribbon cutting. I completely agree with Krismarie about getting the word out about the recycling the old building. Don't hesitate to get signage all over, where allowed, about a Grand Opening and a New Facility and the name. I hope you don't get antsy and start giving away the farm but I don't know your neighborhood so that will be up to you as to what to entice the possible new tenant with. Maybe a free new lock, that seems to be a great way to get them in, at least to check you out and I will assure you that the best thing you can do is GET THEM THERE! Then sell yourself and the facility!
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hi Fay,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the ribbon cutting!

You seem to have a wonderful attitude moving forward and I think that in itself will work wonders for your facility. Outside of the already great suggestions, make sure you introduce your facility to local businesses and organizations too! I would be going crazy with local promoting, digital promoting, etc. and if you need any suggestions on particular ideas online feel free to PM me
                Kevin Kerr
                Storage Commander Cloud Software
                k[email protected]
                Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I deeply appreciate them.
                  Last edited by Fay Smithhart; 26 May 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Thank you Kevin. I would deeply appreciate any ideas you might have to offer.

Fay

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X