Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Politicians everywhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politicians everywhere!

So I was supplied the address for the Oregon SSA and it is in Alexandria, Va. I was curious why my state's association was clear across the country so I contacted them and asked why that was. Below is the answer I got:

"Good Morning Ron,

I am the Executive Director for the ORSSA. We are based out of Alexandria, VA in the National SSA headquarters. We created a state association in Oregon because we saw the need and there were several owner/operators who approached us about the outdated lien laws. Since then, we have modernized the lien laws in your state and had 3 annual meetings, that are very well attended, about 120 attendees per meeting and 13 vendor/suppliers. We hope you can attend the one in Salem on April 22 and see what it is all about.

Please let me know if you would like more information."

No where in that response does the person answer my question. Accomplishments are stated but no answer to what I asked.

So I ask this to you all, Are the different state associations in your state or in Va., where the national association is located at?
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Re: Politicians everywhere!

Ours is located in Southern California. They do events up and down the state. BTW, pacnw, the SSA and therefore State associations are lobbying/political entities. They exist to assist owner/operators with legal issues, to lobby their state leaders and look out for (supposedly) the operators in their state. That's one big difference between the ISS/SST group and the SSA. They are a "not for profit" trade organization.
    Last edited by Gina6k; 11th February 2016, 02:02 PM.
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Thank you Gina. I don't see much value for an Oregon association that is all the way across country in Va. I understand they may be good for a question or two, if they in fact will answer what I ask, but with no boots on the ground here it seems half hearted.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        Thank you Gina. I don't see much value for an Oregon association that is all the way across country in Va. I understand they may be good for a question or two, if they in fact will answer what I ask, but with no boots on the ground here it seems half hearted.
        They are just running the admin site of the association. The OR Self Storage website is http://www.orssa.org/index.php. The board is made up of owner and operators who are in Oregon. You can click on the advisory board and I am sure one of them would be happy to discuss with you the benefits of joining the association.

Comment

I should have gone thru the whole site before contacting them in Va. They also could have told me what you did. But it is my fault, not theirs. Thank you for the info.

Comment

I panicked slightly when I saw the subject title and thought this was going to be an actual political discussion. I was going to say....Noooo! This isn't Facebook! We can never approach the topic of politics on this forum lest we all become enemies...nooooooo!! LOL! So relieved..... :-D Oh and btw, you should get involved with the state association! You have a lot of knowledge that would be very beneficial :-)

Comment

There is a local member, about 7 miles away, that is on the local advisory board. I am going to contact her sometime today. chewmama, when the Republican field first started with the newest bid for the next presidency and they were like 18 people, we had a discussion here. That was very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

There is a local member, about 7 miles away, that is on the local advisory board. I am going to contact her sometime today. chewmama, when the Republican field first started with the newest bid for the next presidency and they were like 18 people, we had a discussion here. That was very interesting.
                I'd be curious of your opinion after you spoke with this person on the local advisory board. I'm in Central Oregon, a bit of a drive to events if they are not worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post

I'd be curious of your opinion after you spoke with this person on the local advisory board. I'm in Central Oregon, a bit of a drive to events if they are not worthwhile.
                  Their biggest thing, IMO, was my money first and my concerns second. I had called and talked to someone in Va. and was told about a meeting in Salem and was pushed to join asap and go to the meeting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X