Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

OR newbie with a Notice posting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OR newbie with a Notice posting question

Hi everyone,

I am new manager - I have only been doing this for a couple of months. I came from working in apartment management.

I have a tenant that I am giving a 30 Day Termination for lease violations. Our company policy is to send it certified mail which I have done. The problem is she has violated her lease by living in her unit so I suspect she won't get the mail at her old address. In apartments I would also post a notice (in an envelope for privacy) on people's doors as well. Is it legal to that in storage?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I unfortunately missed the big Storage Association meeting in Salem and feel like some of the legal stuff doesn't feel as cut and dry in storage as it was in apartments.

Have you already deactivated her code at the entrance gate?
    Have you over-locked her unit?
    And yes you absolutely can post a copy of the eviction on her units door.
    She won't see it unless she tailgates in.

With the access code deactivated, in theory, this will make them come into the office and/or call to ask about why they can't get in.

Keep us posted.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I agree with lady5563. Lock her out and overlock her unit. Force her to come to you. Many of us are of the opinion that this type of lease violation should be an immediate eviction, not a 30 day notice. If you aren't allowed to do that, the only way to control the situation until she vacates is to restrict her access to business hours only. No nighttime/overnight access at all. No exceptions. If you want to mail the notice anyway, go ahead. If it's not a current/valid address, and comes back to you, that is further documentation against her. Especially since we all require they inform us of any address changes.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, by the way!!
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Thanks everyone.

This is actually my second person I evicted for living on the property. When the first one happened I asked about the procedure from the person I am training from. He told me to the use the 30 Day. And that I can only use the 72 hour Notice (the only other option given here) if I call the police on someone for something major. I have also been told that I can not legally restrict gate access other than regular gate hours (we are not a 24/7 facility) for anything other than unpaid rent.

If I see her after hours I will call the police for trespassing. I am not sure if I can then give the 72 hours Notice. If I issue the 72 hour notice will it negate the 30 Day or can she legally hold me to the 30 Day?

I probably should mention that the management company I work for largely deals with multi-family housing. They are new to taking on a couple of storage facilities and the company seems to base everything on the housing model which doesn't quite fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Required Characters View Post
            Thanks everyone.

This is actually my second person I evicted for living on the property. When the first one happened I asked about the procedure from the person I am training from. He told me to the use the 30 Day. And that I can only use the 72 hour Notice (the only other option given here) if I call the police on someone for something major. I have also been told that I can not legally restrict gate access other than regular gate hours (we are not a 24/7 facility) for anything other than unpaid rent.

If I see her after hours I will call the police for trespassing. I am not sure if I can then give the 72 hours Notice. If I issue the 72 hour notice will it negate the 30 Day or can she legally hold me to the 30 Day?

I probably should mention that the management company I work for largely deals with multi-family housing. They are new to taking on a couple of storage facilities and the company seems to base everything on the housing model which doesn't quite fit.
            Okay, you need to read your lease and see what it says re terminating leases. Storage law is different is several material areas from multi-family. You absolutely should be able to 'condition her access', any way you deem fit. And it should state that in the contract if you have a standard storage contract. I don't buy that you can't. You should be able to overlock her and lock out her code.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Storage laws/leases are very different from residential laws/leases. Like Kris said, you should have the ability to lock a tenant out for a variety of reasons, especially this one. My lease, for example, says "management has the right to change gate access at any time without notice". If your lease doesn't cover this, it needs to. Your tenants need to know there are certain consequences for certain actions. Nothing gets the point across quicker than an immediate eviction for sleeping or living in a unit.
              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X