Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Hello from Medford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Medford

Well, I've finally signed up for Talk. I've been reading posts for a long time now and they have been very helpful if not at least interesting.
    I've managed here for almost 4 years. I've been to the Las Vegas Expo. WOW! What a great time. Allot was learned. So, are there any locals out there that know allot about legal issues? Oregon Ststs are so vauge.

I don't know much about Oregon, but I will say "Hi" and welcome to the family.
    Wayne
    Jamestown, ND

All arguments can be resolved ... with high explosives and Humor!!!

Comment

Hi from Oregon!!

Hi I am an Oregonian as well. I saw that you were looking for info on legal issues specific to our state. If you have any questions I should be able to help you. My family owns a 1000+ unit storage facility and I manage it for them. We have been in business for over 20 years and have had to learn a lot about the legal side of things. I would be happy to help!

Danielle

Comment

Thank you AutoDoc. Hello to you too!

Comment

Thank you Danielle. I do have concerns about our laws in Oregon. Any help I can get is great! Let me ask you, if you don't mind. Is your vacancy higher than normal right now, and if so, do you think it's the economy?

Comment

Actually we have had to build additional units this summer due to our occupancy levels. This has become a popular area to move to, and so we haven't been very affected by the economy. Hopefully it stays that way. Do you have a copy of our current lein laws in Oregon? It can be found at http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/087.html starting at 87.685. I should be able to answer any legal questions you have!
            Danielle

Comment

Hello from Prineville

Originally posted by danielle View Post
              Actually we have had to build additional units this summer due to our occupancy levels. This has become a popular area to move to, and so we haven't been very affected by the economy. Hopefully it stays that way. Do you have a copy of our current lein laws in Oregon? It can be found at http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/087.html starting at 87.685. I should be able to answer any legal questions you have!
              Danielle
              Good to see there's Oregonians out here! Hey, I've heard about this house bill HB2911. What are your thoughts? Have you heard any updated news?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Sparky! I love Prineville, I don't get over there nearly enough. There was a meeting about HB2911 on Tuesday. It looks like the bill will become law. We have been trying to figure out what exactly it means for us. It is nearly impossible to tell what the fair market value of items in the unit is since we are not allowed to enter the unit. It seems to me that in order to find out the market value the unit would have to be appraised, something I'm not interested in doing for units full of junk. I think that the basic idea behind the law is that they don't want storage operators selling a unit that has $3,000 worth of furniture for $200. I don't think that any of the legislature members have ever been to a storage auction to see that the units that go up for auction are generally not worth very much, the units with a high value are few and far between. The reality is that if the items in the unit were truly valuable, the person would have paid their bill.

Comment

Originally posted by danielle View Post
                  Hi Sparky! I love Prineville, I don't get over there nearly enough. There was a meeting about HB2911 on Tuesday. It looks like the bill will become law. We have been trying to figure out what exactly it means for us. It is nearly impossible to tell what the fair market value of items in the unit is since we are not allowed to enter the unit. It seems to me that in order to find out the market value the unit would have to be appraised, something I'm not interested in doing for units full of junk. I think that the basic idea behind the law is that they don't want storage operators selling a unit that has $3,000 worth of furniture for $200. I don't think that any of the legislature members have ever been to a storage auction to see that the units that go up for auction are generally not worth very much, the units with a high value are few and far between. The reality is that if the items in the unit were truly valuable, the person would have paid their bill.
                  Thanks for that reply! I'm getting involved with these forums lately and it seems as if this is where I can keep up with whats going on. I've read the article about this bill on the Self-Storage web site and it sounded as if this orginization was fighting it and was going to stay involved, have you found that they were a help? Who stood up and spoke for us? These idiots in Salem just keep passing bills with no detail leaving us to always wonder what to do. O.k. that felt better just have to blow off some stem....

Comment

PS. I love Prineville too! Suns out and waters getting warm, good camping weather. Better take a vistit this year...

Comment

My question about your house bill is this. If all you can get bid on a $3000 value (estimated, of course) space is $200, what are you supposed to do. Not sell? Sell and make up difference from your pocket? Toss the stuff in the dumpster. It seems to me that your congressmen forgot that we have businesses to run, and need those spaces back. If the people weren't willing to pay before your auction, why would they want to pay after?

Bob (Astro)
                      Bob Taylor (Astro)
                      Blue Ridge Self Storage
                      Cashiers, NC

Disclaimer: What Gina said....'cause the the cheese fell of my cracker.

Comment

Re: Hello from Medford

Hello, from Corvallis, OR! HB 2911 is not a very well thought out proposed law.

I start wanting to grind my teeth in frustration when I see these kind of things come up before our esteemed lawmakers so I better just zip it and say that 9 years here in Corvallis has been a pleasure.
                        Last edited by Rayp6217; 16th May 2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: lack of research

Comment

Howdy from Texas!
                          "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://larrylaunders.voice123.com/

Comment

I would request a self storage lien law booklet from your state, it costs a few dollars, but you'll appreciate the new information you learn.

Comment

Hey there, Oregonians. Just wanted to make sure you knew the next Inside Self-Storage event is in your region, up in Tacoma, Wash.

The next Inside Self-Storage World Expo is Oct. 4-6 at the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center.
                              John Carlisle
                              Community Manager Emeritus
                              Still a Big Fan of Self-Storage!
                              www.chicagoprowriter.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evansr
                                Reply to Promotional ideas
                                by evansr
                                Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                                Today, 09:13 PM
                              • Storman
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by Storman
                                This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                                Today, 07:55 PM
                              • RandyL
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by RandyL
                                Yeah I suppose that will make more sense, though my fences are at 6 or 7' tall. Storman are your fences 8' tall or will you be cutting down each of the sheets? If you have to cut them down remember the cut edge won't be rust protected anymore. So you may want to paint it after if you have to cut...
                                Today, 07:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X