Washington State Rate increases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington State Rate increases

My fiance has a storage unit up in southern Washington state. She received a letter stating that her rent for a 10x20 climate control at 112.00 would be going up to 160.00!!!!! How do they justify this large of a jump in rent?

Re: Washington State Rate increases

Originally posted by Sundiver View Post
    My fiance has a storage unit up in southern Washington state. She received a letter stating that her rent for a 10x20 climate control at 112.00 would be going up to 160.00!!!!! How do they justify this large of a jump in rent?
    They don't have to justify it. Your fiance is in a climate controlled space that uses either gas or electric to heat it and electric to cool it. Costs are rising and so are rents. One option is to move into a non-climate controlled space to save money, or move to another storage facility.

It is also quite possible that your fiance has had a killer deal for her entire tenancy. She may have been paying a discounted rent. Either way, if she finds the space too expensive, she can always move out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
      They don't have to justify it. Your fiance is in a climate controlled space that uses either gas or electric to heat it and electric to cool it. Costs are rising and so are rents. One option is to move into a non-climate controlled space to save money, or move to another storage facility.

It is also quite possible that your fiance has had a killer deal for her entire tenancy. She may have been paying a discounted rent. Either way, if she finds the space too expensive, she can always move out.
      There could be lots of reasons as mentioned or maybe they just screwed up. That is a huge increase. That said, if I compare your apples to my oranges that price seems really good for climate controlled.

Regardless, he should call them and and express his concern to ensure it is accurate and determine if anything can be done.

Comment

When we had rate increases at our last facility....(we had gone 5 years w/no increases), we looked at the "street rate" then at what the tenant was paying...and tried to hit the middle if it was more than a $40 difference!! Also, at times I rent a 10 x 25 for the rate of a 10 x 20 simply because I don't have any 10 x 20's (the size the tenant wants). But if they stay we can either move them to a smaller unit 6 months later or go up on rate...that's my experience....

Success always involves risk; you can't steal second base with your foot on first. - Frederick Wilcox

Comment

Frankly, a 10x20 CC at $160 still beats ours by $19...
          "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://larrylaunders.voice123.com/

Comment

That is a heckuva good rate for a 10x20 climate, even at $160. I've never worked at a facility that you could even get a 10x10 climate for $112.

Guess you need some more info Sundiver...how long has your fiance been storing there? How long since last increase? Was her $112 an "introductory offer"? Unless this is an older facility in an extreme rural area with few amenitiess, it sounds like the rate was extraordinarily low to begin with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X