Reimbursement of funds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reimbursement of funds

I haven't had anyone move out but just meant that is the policy we decided on when we opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Fay Smithhart View Post
      I haven't had anyone move out but just meant that is the policy we decided on when we opened.
      I know, I was just ribbin' ya'.

Comment

The move in is pro-rated, move outs are not. We do not refund move out.
        We do require a 30 day notice

I think it is a fantastic idea to have a list posted where they sit down to sign their lease agreement.
        Last edited by Just Jo; 14 June 2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I have it in one of those stand up clear plastic stands you can get at the office supply store. Not the one that stands straight up, those are hard to read, the one that leans back. I also highlight the really important ones so the tenant's eyes are drawn to them.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            I have it in one of those stand up clear plastic stands you can get at the office supply store. Not the one that stands straight up, those are hard to read, the one that leans back. I also highlight the really important ones so the tenant's eyes are drawn to them.
            Get outta my head!

I have exactly the same thing. It sits on the counter facing where the new customer will sit as we do the paperwork. Mine is titled "Attention New Customers: A Few Rules to Keep in Mind" and list 9 or 10 of the important ones.
            In California.

Comment

Yea, mine is 13 points of interest and it is all in larger fonts so it stands out, especially with the yellow highlighter on the really important ones. At my counter the tenant stands but, like yours, it is right next to where we conduct business and is angled so they can easily see and I always point to it and ask them to read it when I am going thru anything that they are not involved with. Like waiting for me to finish taking the payment or when I am putting initial tenant info in the computer while they are waiting for us to begin going over the lease. Later when they say, "I didn't know," I always remind them of that list at the counter that I asked them to read or the line item on the lease they initialed. I can't live their life for them but I can sure remind them I asked to to read and take responsibility. You know, things expected of ADULTS!

Comment

You could all go one step further and add a line at each bullet point and actually have the tenant initial that they have read AND that they understand.
                In my previous employment, we did have such a form, an addendum.
                We would keep the original and supply a copy to the tenant along with a copy of the lease agreement.

I can not tell you how enjoyable it is when a tenant breaks the rules, are confronted and then they say...but no one ever told me or I didn't know!!!
                It is SO much fun to say, "hold on" and go to their file and pull out the form that THEY initialed and point to their initial next to the infraction that they did and ask them..."is that your initial?"

He he he
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Good idea lady. I am going to do that.

Comment

How does that work with them mailing in the signed lease? Are they allowed access to the unit before you receive the signed lease? What if they miss signing one of the required places on the lease do you have to mail it back to them again? When do you receive payment? Do you not require a copy of drivers license? How do you verify that persons name on the lease is the one renting the unit? Can you legally hold the person to their lease if all paperwork is done by mail instead of in person?

I am also new to the storage business and try to take note of the way others are doing business. I require every tenant to come in to sign all paperwork and give me a copy of their drivers license. Even if they go on my website and reserve a unit they are still required to come meet me face to face. My thought is that if they are face to face I can see them sign everything and make sure the person renting a unit is the one on the lease. I keep all units locked until they come in to sign everything and place their lock on the unit.

Sorry for so many questions I am just curious as to how this process works.

Comment

How does that work with them mailing in the signed lease? Are they allowed access to the unit before you receive the signed lease? What if they miss signing one of the required places on the lease do you have to mail it back to them again? When do you receive payment? Do you not require a copy of drivers license? How do you verify that persons name on the lease is the one renting the unit? Can you legally hold the person to their lease if all paperwork is done by mail instead of in person?

I am also new to the storage business and try to take note of the way others are doing business. I require every tenant to come in to sign all paperwork and give me a copy of their drivers license. Even if they go on my website and reserve a unit they are still required to come meet me face to face. My thought is that if they are face to face I can see them sign everything and make sure the person renting a unit is the one on the lease. I keep all units locked until they come in to sign everything and place their lock on the unit.

Sorry for so many questions I am just curious as to how this process works.

We do it the same way Fay. They can rent on line but have to see me before they initial and sign lease, get a gate code, locate unit and get keys for lock on unit. I want to see them face to face to get a copy of the license/picture ID and to compare pic to face and to make sure they understand facility policies and rules. Any push back and I shut it down and get them a refund on a unit rented on line. I got no time for "inmates trying to run the asylum."

Comment

"Renting" on line
                        AND
                        "reserving" on line
                        are in fact 2 separate things.
                        IMO

Our website allows reservations ONLY!!!

I do not have my lease on my website for anyone.
                        Tenants reserve on line.
                        i get an email notification.
                        I call customer and set up the appointment, that is the most convenient for them during my business hours, they come in with proper ID and payment, they can rent a unit.

I would never put my blank lease anywhere on our website!!!

If any person does not wish to do business MY way, then I probably don't want you as my tenant anyway!!!

Now don't get me wrong, there are times when you can in fact make special circumstances!!!
                        Like the time a young lady called, from West Virginia.
                        I had been working with her for about 3 weeks.
                        She called me the morning of her moving out of WV, she stated to me that they would not be getting in to town until 10pm that NIGHT!!
                        And she honestly thought that I was going to wait for her!!!
                        Maybe she thought I lived on my property, which I didn't, at the time and even if I did, I would not have met her at 10pm!!!

I made her jump through some pretty big hoops and did her move in "over the phone"
                        She had to go to her local Staples store and copy and email to me the front and back of her DL.
                        After I received that, I called her and we spent about 15 or so minutes on the phone and I did the move in over the phone.
                        Captured her CC for payment AND auto pay and filled out everything that I normally do.
                        On the last page where she was to sign, the open package for her lock, I placed inside her new unit and told her she was to sign my copy when she got in to town and place it in my drop box.
                        She was told that if I do not have my paperwork in the morning, her access code would be deactivated and the unit would be overlocked.

It all worked out in the end.
                        I got the rental and she got her unit at 10:30pm

This is an extreme example and doesn't happen often!!
                        And I was happy to help them!!!

Comment

Lady5563 I agree sometimes you have to be willing to help out tenants when it is needed. I have stayed late to give them time to get here to rent a unit. I have came back to work hours after I closed to exchange a unit for a young lady because the one she had rented wasn't large enough and she had to have her stuff moved out that night. People have emergencies and need someone willing to do a little extra to help them during that time.

Comment

Yep. There's nothing wrong with having a reputation of good customer service.
                            In California.

Comment

I am still wondering how the mailing a lease to be signed and sent back works legally.

Comment

I am still wondering how the mailing a lease to be signed and sent back works legally.
                                It's doesn't Fay!!!

I would never mail anyone a BLANK lease.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X