No announcement yet.

ISS World Expo Encounters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess some SST members Amy saw get mentioned on this thread and others don't.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Ha! Yes, you and I had some laughs on Wednesday. Also ran into Steve, KatherineAD and Krista. Sorry if I missed mentioning you or we didn't have time to chat at the show. I'm popular at these events.
      Amy Campbell
      Editor
      Inside Self-Storage
      amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Amy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzx8KHjQD6c

Comment

HA!! Love it!
          Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I am new to the storage business. I checked into going to the ISS show this year but the price to get in was ridiculous for what it is.

Comment

Hi Sparkey - The ISS World Expo is the biggest event in the industry. In addition to the 200 exhibitors, we also offer a comprehensive education program with more than 40 educational sessions, seven workshops, 35+ Table Talks, vendor sessions and several other networking opportunities. Perhaps others who attended can offer insight on costs vs. experience.
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
                I am new to the storage business. I checked into going to the ISS show this year but the price to get in was ridiculous for what it is.
                With all due respect, have you been before? How do you know "what it is" if you didn't attend?

My ROI in regard to the ISS Expo has been off the charts for the many, many years I've been attending. As a single facility owner/operator, there is no better resource for industry trends, legal issues, new technologies, income generation, management tips, facility support and supplies than a one-stop visit to the Expo.

The MOST valuable aspect of the Expo is the personal relationships I've made with vendors. And I don't mean "how are you doing, so nice to see you" kinds of relationships, I mean relationships that have paid off for me in real dollars due to meeting them face to face. When I call and need support, they know me, they take care of me. They know I'll see them again next year.

I spent a few months searching for new management software many years back, visiting all sorts of websites and doing the relatively few online demos. I was at a dead end, it looked like nothing was going to come close to replacing the software I had been running for a couple of decades that was no longer in business. All the companies that I had been steered to wanted me to change my business to conform to their software, they weren't there to serve me, I had to serve them. I decided to go to the Expo that year with the thought that all I had to do was gain something of value worth more than the cost of my travel and registration to justify my trip. Remember, I'm a sole operator, so this is 100% money out of my own pocket, not a corporate trip with all expenses paid.

I forced myself to engage in the seminar tracks, attending all the seminars that interested me or that I thought could provide some value. I came home with a notebook full of new ideas, strategies, contacts and enthusiasm. The seminars alone were more than worth the cost to attend, and have made me money and protected me from repeating the mistakes of others.

But, the most valuable thing to me at the time was that there were at least a half dozen software companies all in one place, eager to show me what they could do for me. I could talk face to face, demo the products, ask questions and get immediate answers. I spent both days on the floor talking to all sorts of vendors, nearly all of whom told me I was running my business wrong and that I needed to change the way I do business so that their software would work at my facility. Eventually, I made it to the Storage Commander booth, and met directly with the owners of the company, Jeff and Tom. After Tom's demo, I asked him about the needs that I had specifically. Tom said they could handle that. I asked more questions about what I wanted the software to do, Tom said they could do that. I went home with the idea that I had found the replacement I needed. More questions and answers over a short period of time, and I soon bought their product. Guess who flew to my facility personally to install it? Jeff and Tom, the owners themselves. Remember, I'm just a little guy, 400 units, but they made the trip to make sure I was trained and happy.

I went home from the Expo that year with no doubt that I gained MUCH more in value than I paid. I've been attending every year since, and before I go I make a list of things I want to accomplish while I'm there to make it worthwhile. Every year I've returned with my goals reached and more.

A little more on the software story, I have a particular banking and credit card processing need at my facility that is not typical. For many years I struggled with an awkward workaround that was increasingly a pain in the butt. I knew it wasn't a management software issue per se, but I mentioned it to the Storage Commander guys during a visit with them face to face at the Expo. Jeff said he thought he could do something for me on his end, but I should talk to my credit card processor, which happened to be 200 feet across the floor at their own booth. I walked over there, talked to them about it and then Jeff appeared at their booth a few minutes later to talk technical stuff I had no clue about. Within a couple of months, Jeff and his team had developed and written specific code into Storage Commander that addressed my particular issue. I can assure you the personal relationship I had made with Jeff and Tom a few years prior directly resulted in their eagerness to help me out. I've heard from other SC users that they feel the same way too. I'm entirely comfortable in saying that there isn't another software company that would have taken my concern seriously enough to address it. I'm just too small a player for them to "waste" time on (I was basically told this during my initial research).

So, in my opinion, if you're doing the Expo right and engaging with the opportunities available, it's actually ridiculous how valuable it is.

(and you get a gold star for reading all of this)

Last edited by Amy_ISS; 5th April 2019, 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I should add that at one of the Expos I attended there was this small booth in the corner that was giving out free pens and little toys that I thought a new grandchild would enjoy. When I got home and emptied my bag of goodies, there was Self Storage Talk printed on it....what the heck was that about?

Comment

My girl Michelle Engler celebrated her Birthday at the Reception!

Snapchat-1525429615.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    Senior VP of Operations
                    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                    Nashville, TN
                    http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Me with Holly Fiorelli from Call Potential
                      Stephanie Tharpe
                      Senior VP of Operations
                      Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                      www.tnssa.net

Comment

Me with my wonderful Madman and he gets the photo credit on this one.
                        Stephanie Tharpe
                        Senior VP of Operations
                        Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                          Me with my wonderful Madman and he gets the photo credit on this one.
                          It was great to see everyone at the show!!! We noted a lot of new things to implement, check out and put into action!

Comment

Sparkey, you get what you put into it. If you go thinking it's a waste of your time and money, it will be a self fulfilling prophesy. However, if as Storman noted, you're interested, seeking ideas and solutions and go with an open mind you'd be blown away by the value for the dollar spent. I've attended conferences and seminars aplenty over the last 30 years in SS, paid for some out of my pocket and some were employer paid, it doesn't matter. I've always walked away with more knowledge and that's power and more $$$ on the bottom line.

Sorry I missed seeing you all this year. But some of us have been talking on Facebook and we're planning a night out for next Spring during the Expo. Too many of us weren't there this year.
                            Gina 6k
                            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                            VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                            storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                            I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Here is one we took at our booth!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
                                Welcome to the industry.

It's literally the biggest and best event for our industry. You get exactly what you pay for. What a great way to introduce yourself here...

Good luck in your endeavors.
                                Kristy Olney
                                Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
                                Stor-All Gardnerville
                                Gardnerville, NV
                                https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X